Microcosm of how soft America has become, USA women losing at soccer.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!
American's are just not born 'killers'. They just don't know how to 'finish' anymore in sports.

When America plays another country in Anything, does the collective world say, "America is the toughest country to defeat, they are incredibly mentally tough in international competition, they are head and shoulders better than their competion in the 'wanting to win' dept"

I'm not sure the world is saying this.

In 1980 at the olympics the USA showed the world that the United States of America is incredibly hard to beat. Are we as mentally tough as we were in 1980 or has American society gotten softer in the past few decades?

Or, do you think we're as mentally tough as we've ever been and we're KILLERS and FINISHERS and the USA women's implosion to an inferior team was just a flukey abberation and their loss is NOT a microcosm of a softer society?

KingRevolver

Born Rambler
Re: Microcosm of how soft America has become, USA women losing at soccer.

Honestly, I think you're reading too much into it. It's not like Japan had a horrible team and was a 10-to-1 underdog.

But I do think that other countries aren't intimidated when playing the U.S., as they might've been in the past.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated

Hello, you are talking about soccer! America has so many opportunities. From a sports standpoint - look at how many sports the kids can try. If you are a kid with athletic talent - is soccer your first choice? or about 10th on the list of sports a kid could pursue?

Jammer

EOG Dedicated

American's are just not born 'killers'. They just don't know how to 'finish' anymore in sports.

When America plays another country in Anything, does the collective world say, "America is the toughest country to defeat, they are incredibly mentally tough in international competition, they are head and shoulders better than their competion in the 'wanting to win' dept"

In 1980 at the olympics the USA showed the world that the United States of America is incredibly hard to beat. Are we as mentally tough as we were in 1980 or has American society gotten softer in the past few decades?

Or, do you think we're as mentally tough as we've ever been and we're KILLERS and FINISHERS and the USA women's implosion to an inferior team was just a flukey abberation and their loss is NOT a microcosm of a softer society?

I guess you didn't watch the Brazil game if you wannu talk about mentally tough. Either that or you have a short memory

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated

It's sports...things like this happen. Japan was playing with super motivation, like our hockey team had in 1980. We dominated the game, but the ball bounced their way. If you recall the 80 Olympics, the Russian goaltending in that game was horrible. Shit happens.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR

I see what you're talking about. Kind of reminds me of how soft the Yankees are, can't compete the old-fashioned way, they go out and try to buy championships. Sharp post Kid.

:cocktail :cocktail

They lost a goofy soccer game.

I don't think we can draw conclusions about America's
"mental toughness" from that.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

So, i guess its unanimous from everyone here that America isn't getting 'softer' and we're as tough as we have ever been.?

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I see what you're talking about. Kind of reminds me of how soft the Yankees are, can't compete the old-fashioned way, they go out and try to buy championships. Sharp post Kid.

:cocktail :cocktail

Why would you take a shot at the Yankees in this thread? If you wanna start a new post about how the Yanks try and buy championships and they're the only team doing so, than be my guest, i would love to be a participant in that thread.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated

So, i guess its unanimous from everyone here that America isn't getting 'softer' and we're as tough as we have ever been.?

We're getting soft because we lost to a team on penalty kicks? The team that knocked out the favorite and also beat Sweden (who beat the USA)

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated

It's a foolish conclusion to draw from the result of a soccer game....particularly one that ended in penalty kicks.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR

Why would you take a shot at the Yankees in this thread? If you wanna start a new post about how the Yanks.....

Good point, this thread is deep on multiple levels, no need to knock the magic off this one. My bad.

In the case of Soft vs the USA :

Your Honor, the State calls as it's first witnesses, Osama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein to the stand.

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

American society and culture are in decline but I wouldn't read anything from this soccer game.

The next time they play Japan in something meaningful, lay 1.5.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

American society and culture are in decline but I wouldn't read anything from this soccer game.

The next time they play Japan in something meaningful, lay 1.5.

I would never lay more than 1.5 goals in a soccer match....too much emphasis put on a revenge match....

Japan just played their tails off and fought harder at the end...

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

I would never lay more than 1.5 goals in a soccer match....too much emphasis put on a revenge match....

Japan just played their tails off and fought harder at the end...
I can't blame you for not wanting to lay 1.5. I totally disagree with your other assessment. A lucky deflection doesn't indicate what you're claiming. And the earlier goal was just a defensive screw-up. Japan is now 1-22-3 in the last 26 games against USA. All hail the best women's soccer team in the world! :LMAO

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

And wait until Germany gets their hands on those ugly boys. :LMAO

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

I wish the Olympics were starting soon. I'd bet anyone here that they don't win a medal of any kind.

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

They lost a goofy soccer game.

I don't think we can draw conclusions about America's
"mental toughness" from that.

Yup. Stereotypical fooled by randomness on display in this thread.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

I can't blame you for not wanting to lay 1.5. I totally disagree with your other assessment. A lucky deflection doesn't indicate what you're claiming. And the earlier goal was just a defensive screw-up. Japan is now 1-22-3 in the last 26 games against USA. All hail the best women's soccer team in the world! :LMAO

LOL...reminds me of that movie Little Giants.....(One time)

But right now Japan can say that they are the best until somebody knocks them off the perch....and if they played tomorrow, Japan would probably be the dog...

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

LOL...reminds me of that movie Little Giants.....(One time)

But right now Japan can say that they are the best until somebody knocks them off the perch....and if they played tomorrow, Japan would probably be the dog...

Yep on all points.