My Friday blog

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Here's a look at the Week 3 schedule in the National Football League:

49ERS 21 BENGALS 20.....San Francisco quarterback Alex Smith owns an experience edge over Cincinnati rookie Andy Dalton in a meeting of former Mountain West quarterbacks. Niners outplayed the Cowboys in most areas of the game last week only to lose in overtime, 27-24.

PATRIOTS 30 BILLS 20.....New England looks to score 30 or more points in its eleventh straight regular-season game. The Pats should accomplish the feat against a permissive Buffalo defense.

SAINTS 35 TEXANS 31.....Look for New Orleans to start a long winning streak after losing its Week 1 assignment against the defending Super Bowl champions. The Texans are clearly the team to beat in the AFC South and they're likely to make the playoffs for the first time in franchise history, but this is a tough spot for Houston.

EAGLES 24 GIANTS 17.....With or without Vick, the Eagles should defend their home field with a defense that will improve as the season progresses. Vince Young and Mike Kafka are capable replacements for the concussed Vick.

DOLPHINS 17 BROWNS 14.....Desperate game for the 0-2 Dolphins because Miami's three division opponents (New England, New York Jets and Buffalo) started the season a combined 6-0. Miami takes a class drop here after facing New England and Houston in Weeks 1 and 2.

TITANS 28 BRONCOS 17....Tennessee veteran quarterback Matt Hasselbeck will be fueled with confidence after leading his new team to a 26-13 win last week over Baltimore. Denver looks average at best.

LIONS 34 VIKINGS 17.....Detroit has not won a game in Minneapolis since 1997. Time to exorcise the demons this Sunday as the emerging Lions, led offensively by Matthew Stafford and spearheaded defensively by Ndamukong Suh, look to make the playoffs for the first time since 1999.

JAGUARS 27 PANTHERS 24.....Let's call for a mild upset in a match-up of rookie quarterbacks, Blaine Gabbert and Cam Newton. Jacksonville owns the slightly better defense and the Jags have a legitimate chance to win a road game this Sunday.

CHARGERS 35 CHIEFS 21.....Looks like a free Bingo square for San Diego this week as the banged-up Chiefs visit Qualcomm Stadium. Kansas City lost its best defensive player (Eric Berry) in Week 1 and its best offensive player (Jamaal Charles) in Week 2.

JETS 19 RAIDERS 16.....Slight edge to the road team. Mark Sanchez returns to the West Coast where he starred collegiately at USC. Oakland head coach Hue Jackson is not the answer to revitalize a moribund Raiders' franchise.

RAVENS 24 RAMS 20.....Baltimore should be in an angry mood following a listless effort last week in Nashville. St. Louis running back Steven Jackson may return to the lineup, but Baltimore's physical defense will present a challenge for the aging and oft-injured running back.

BUCS 28 FALCONS 24.....Tampa Bay quarterback Josh Freeman is 14-12 in 26 NFL starts with eight of his 14 victories featuring fourth-quarter comebacks. Atlanta exerted a lot of energy in its Sunday night victory over Philadelphia.

SEAHAWKS 24 ARIZONA 23.....The Seahawks historically play well at home and Tarvaris Jackson should find some open receivers against a rebuilt Arizona secondary.

PACKERS 31 BEARS 21.....Green Bay is the class of the NFC and the Packers will be ready for this important divisional showdown. Chicago's inability to protect Jay Cutler will manifest itself against the Packers' blitzing style.

STEELERS 27 COLTS 7.....Pittsburgh rebounded from its Week 1 loss to the Ravens with a dominating 24-0 victory over Seattle. Look for Indy to struggle against a Steelers' defense gunning for their second straight shutout.

COWBOYS 24 REDSKINS 20.....Hard to trust the re-emergence of Washington quarterback Rex Grossman, who has led the Redskins to a surprising 2-0 start. Look for the Dallas defense to be the best unit on the field, hoping to account for the possible absence of injured quarterback Tony Romo.

COMING MONDAY.....A look at the top five NCAAF teams in the country.<VAR id=yiv725151521yui-ie-cursor></VAR>

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated
Re: My Friday blog

Those scores all look logical, but it's the NFL, so who knows. I saw Jacksonville in person last week and they were awful. They did stop the Jets' running game and pressured Sanchez a little bit. They can beat Carolina, but I don't know where they will find 27 points, even in the "New NFL". New QB, can only be an improvement.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Those scores all look logical, but it's the NFL, so who knows. I saw Jacksonville in person last week and they were awful. They did stop the Jets' running game and pressured Sanchez a little bit. They can beat Carolina, but I don't know where they will find 27 points, even in the "New NFL". New QB, can only be an improvement.

Carolina's secondary is atrocious.

Hard to believe Newton threw for 854 yards in his first two NFL games and yet his team is 0-2 with a pair of 7-point defeats.

Imagine if Newton ever struggles in a game.

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated

Hard to believe Newton threw for 854 yards in his first two NFL games and yet his team is 0-2 with a pair of 7-point defeats.

Yeah, they'll lose. (What else is new?)

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated

I will be playing the Raiders as well. Mangold being out will not help a non-existant running game.

munson15

I want winners...

Disagree with your assessment of coach Jackson. I like his demeanor on the sidelines, and the effort from a young, talented outfit is impressive. I wish NBC could 'flex' us out of having to watch the Colts on Sunday night.

FISHHEAD

EOG Master

He did, against the Packers he was very bad.

Missed wide open recievers and also had 3 INT's..............

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

With the Packer's defense, most of their games will be high scoring...Newton played exceptionally well for 3 quarters...

patswin

EOG Veteran

Don't be surprised to see Buffalo beat New England. NE is minus Hernandez and starting center Koppen was put on IR this week so he is out for the year. Buffalo's defensive line is much improved. I am on Buff ML in this one. Should be a shootout between these 2. Also could be a flat spot for NE after a road win against a division rival and a tough win at home against SD

FISHHEAD

EOG Master

Looking forward to JK's rundown of the top five FBS teams, which will probably include Iowa State and/or South Florida...................

unluckysob

EOG Dedicated

I think TB. beats Atlanta----Falcons living on last years 13-3 record, it will not be so easy this time.

bimmercando

EOG Dedicated

I spoke out ( in a dignified manner ) last week when you stated your affection for Green Bay.
So........this week I'll pull the plug out on Dallas and anticipate Washington taking the match, straight up ( hopefully not up their butts. That role is reserved for the Forty-Niners....ta-ta !) .

Have a good weekend !

bimmercando

EOG Dedicated

I do like many ( not all ) of your other calls ( totals too ).
Very Very scary.
Almost like the feeling I had after putting in my 5 plays in an NFL contest only to see that the previous poster had chosen 4 of the same 5 as me. Trouble lurking and just around the corner.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

I spoke out ( in a dignified manner ) last week when you stated your affection for Green Bay.
So........this week I'll pull the plug out on Dallas and anticipate Washington taking the match, straight up ( hopefully not up their butts. That role is reserved for the Forty-Niners....ta-ta !) .

Have a good weekend !

Good call last week, bimmer.

Carolina was the right side against Green Bay.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Finally there's someone who cares (and knows) about literacy.

I have Carpal Tunnel from things like this

It seems as if NO ONE knows how to use an apostrophe on a word that ends in "S". People take a word that ends in "S" and put the apostrophe BEFORE the "S" and not after it

Don't even get me started on:

Your/You're
Their/There/They're
Its/It's

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Carolina's undefeated this season (1-0-1) in the way we keep score here in Nevada.

for those who were sharp the Panthers are 1-1-0

anyone who had the Cards in G1 and Pushed should give up sports bettting because there were so many -6.5 out there to be grabbed that anyone waiting and laying -7 should stop betting on sports - they are a MOOOOOOOORON

bimmercando

EOG Dedicated

JayKay,

Now the media has people on Carolina with their cookie QB, "Fig Newton".
This week will have an "Avis" moment hence no $$ on them so fast.
I have this early season fear with many teams as just not enough
of the genuine good & bad has come to light.

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

It seems as if NO ONE knows how to use an apostrophe on a word that ends in "S". People take a word that ends in "S" and put the apostrophe BEFORE the "S" and not after it

Your/You're
Their/There/They're
Its/It's
91023i2ndw;l

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

Hey JK, thanks for those writeups. Your remarks are quite plausible and they give me a foundation from which to begin thinking about the games.

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

I'm thinking hard about these games. Very, very tough board for me. I might make two plays at most and look for some European soccer action.

Mammon

EOG Master

Math Sat 740, Chem Ach 770 Bio Ach 800. 1rst place individually in the Nation Science Olympiad.

Phuck you guys!!!

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Your/You're
Their/There/They're
Its/It's

Your editing is way better than your football selections...12io4j2w90

patswin

EOG Veteran

Don't be surprised to see Buffalo beat New England. NE is minus Hernandez and starting center Koppen was put on IR this week so he is out for the year. Buffalo's defensive line is much improved. I am on Buff ML in this one. Should be a shootout between these 2. Also could be a flat spot for NE after a road win against a division rival and a tough win at home against SD

hope someone listened to this.....

munson15

I want winners...

Great call, Pats. I did play BUF+8.5 with a local, but I'd never have the guts to play a ML vs. NE. Congrats, I did read your comment earlier.:cheers