Joe Torre or Joe Girardi. Who's better?

Re: Joe Torre or Joe Girardi. Who's better?

It's a toss-up here.

You gotta have the talent first. Managing is less tough when you have a team with studs.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Easy to play in a whiffle ball park...I thought Philly's park was friendly, Yankee Stadium makes that park look silly...

Torre is wiser and more experienced...JG is still learning..

Girardi is garbage....

Joe was not bad..Kept the chemistry....

Look what Joe did with the dodgers....Manny shit and all.

ouch

EOG Dedicated

Talent on a team is the most important thing.

Joe Torre could not get out of his way when he managed St. Louis and Atlanta.

It is the same old story.

Put Tim Tebow on Vanderbilt. Let Phil Jackson coach the Sacramento Kings. If Ernie Banks had been a Yankee instead of a Cub. If Terry Bradshaw had been a Saint instead of a Steeler.

Etc, etc, etc.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Talent on a team is the most important thing.

Joe Torre could not get out of his way when he managed St. Louis and Atlanta.

It is the same old story.

Put Tim Tebow on Vanderbilt. Let Phil Jackson coach the Sacramento Kings. If Ernie Banks had been a Yankee instead of a Cub. If Terry Bradshaw had been a Saint instead of a Steeler.

Etc, etc, etc.

ouch !:LMAO

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated

Baseball needs a back to back series winner. It will be a fun one to watch.

bomzee

EOG Dedicated

Girardi is a significant upgrade over Torre.. Torre esp. in the last couple of years has actually been a negative as a manager.I could give so many examples but here are a couple: never protected his batters- throw at Torre's team with no repurcussions.I saw that so many times. Overbunted- badly when he managed the Yankees.In Yankee Stadium with the Yankees high power offense seeing Jeter bunt early and often in games was bad strategy and bad math. Bad body language and demeanor at all times. Mishandled pitchers. Terrible at spring training.I remember in Girardi's firdt year with the Yankees Mike Mussina commenting on how much running and physical conditioning he had to do when Girardi took over saying Torre never made him do that!
Torre would not have lasted so long with the Yankees if the Boss had stayed more healthy the last few years Torre reign. Red Sox manager Terry Francona outsmarted and outmanaged his biggest rival Torre from day one. In a totally classless move Torre who for the most part had been a classy guy wrote a tell all book insulting many of the people around him.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated

Who's better? Anyone?

Varitek catching Wakefield in extra innings Game 5 of ALDS IN 2004. Varitek has no arm to begin with, but was struggling just to catch the knuckle from Wakefield. Torre doesn't even try to steal a base in the 3 innings Wake was in there. They could have walked to 2nd or 3rd Base with that combo. I thought that was terrible managing in that situation.

tripp

EOG Master

I like them both, but I'd go with Torre.

Regardless it's not about the manager. It's about the players.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated

I like them both, but I'd go with Torre.

Regardless it's not about the manager. It's about the players.

Exactly- any Joe Schmo can win with that payroll and those players. I love when they say that he ran a "good clubhouse" Tremendous. 15 years of managing and he had 1 first place finish before he started with the Yankees. Why? because he had crappy teams for the most part. Can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit. Torre was fortunate that George pulled a quick trigger on Schowalter. He and Stick Michaels were the brains behind that Yankee revival in the early to mid 90's. Torre walked into the perfect situation and rode it out. That doesn't mean he's a bad manager, but anyone could have stepped in and done what he did.

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

Both are pretty bad, but I'd probably go with Girardi.

Integrity

EOG Master

I'd go Torre. Even if Girardi is a better game manager, Torre is a people/ego manager, which was what the Yanks needed.

Pure class and a baseball guy through and through. Always cheered against the Yanks but I respected Torre

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I'd go Torre. Even if Girardi is a better game manager, Torre is a people/ego manager, which was what the Yanks needed.

Pure class and a baseball guy through and through. Always cheered against the Yanks but I respected Torre

Teggers, here's the difference between Torre and Girardi. Its not really all that much, they're fairly similar managers with similar approaches.

I think that Torre was awesome in the 90s and into the 2000s, he was exactly what NYY needed at the time, they needed a father figure kind of guy, who was no nonsense, spoke quietly and carried a big stick. He had the ability to soothe egos and place these players in a great position to win, no doubt what he did in the beginning was sensational stuff.

For whatever Torre lacked in X's and O's IQ, he more than made up with keeping the unit together with his people skills.

As time wore on however, Torre's 'approach' lost some of its effectiveness. He permitted an epic meltdown in 2004 and permitted the bug incident to happen in Cleveland among other things. his game managing got exposed when he wasnt able to be as good as he was in the 90s. I believe that Torre cost us at least 2 world series titles, in 2004 and in 2001.

As far as Girardi goes, i think Joe is more of a guy who lets the players have fun to a degree. Torre ran a much tighter ship, he managed the team like he was managing a bunch of people his age. Girardi, much younger, has injected some youthful enthusiasm into this team, the players are relaxed and allowed to have more fun than the Torre years. With Torre, there were many less smiles, it was pretty much all business.....and when that 'all business' approach wore thin, it hurt the team as Torre wasnt able to adapt. Also, he was 'too old' to have fun, he was very stationary and expressionless in the dugout and that 'blank stare' rubbed off on his players.

Girardi is a great Xs and O's guy, he really is. I watch every pitch of every game and i 'manage along' with him and we seldom disagree on a 'move' to make at the time. Not too often will Girardi make a move and i say "oh no what is he doing". Not all the moves he makes are great, but most times, he's thinking long term. If we are down 3-0 in the 7th inning, you won't see the A relief staff, you'll see the B and C team. This is why our bullpen and pitching staff has been strong all the way, Girardi did a phenominal job at doling out the pitches, nobody was overused for us this year where Torre, didnt hesitate to overuse his main guys.

rjt721

EOG Master

I agree with FK. It's Torre's fault there are bugs in Cleveland.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I agree with FK. It's Torre's fault there are bugs in Cleveland.

Its not his fault there are bugs in Cleveland, but it is his fault for not pulling his team off the field. Joe said that was his biggest regret of his career in NY.

Integrity

EOG Master

oh wow...nice long write up, fk. well done

and rjt, you made me :LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO wit ur line 12io4j2w90

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

You think Girardi is bad? I don't agree.

I agree that Girardi does a better job at managing (i.e. not abusing) the bullpen, but I think he switches pitchers too quickly. The justification he often uses is "I went with the best matchup by the numbers" when it's something like the hitter is 1-7 against a mediocre pitcher or 3-6 against a much better pitcher which is horrid.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Tim, I'll give u that, he is a matchup whore, no doubt about it. I think this season was his finest Job considering how he was able to keep Garcia and colon going all thru the year (for the most part) he has so much potential drama to deal with, the posada drama, dealing with soriano and his diminished role, keeping Mariano sound, dealing with Alex and his breaking down body, keeping a proud guy like andruw jones happy with a few at bats a week, stuff like that, the list goes on. People forget that not too many really gave the yanks a chance to beat the sox for div title this year.

Integrity

EOG Master

The Red Sox were heavily hyped so props to him for getting past that

codypo

Banned

Really? Girardi is a clown. Doesn't bunt, steal, hit and run. I want him fired. The heart left when Torre left.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Really? Girardi is a clown. Doesn't bunt, steal, hit and run. I want him fired. The heart left when Torre left.
hey po!! Good to see you around, hope all is well. I
Think it's unfair to say the heart left we win a title in 09 with a magical season, we have as much heart as we had with Torre.

PalmTree

EOG Dedicated

You can go back a long time and not find a guy who managed a big game worse than Girardi did tonight.