Supposedly Chris Paul is a Clipper

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows
When this deal is made official, or when it is vetoed, it'll be interesting to see the Lakers reaction. No way did the Clippers beat their offer, yet they get him.

Apple

Banned
Re: Supposedly Chris Paul is a Clipper

The Los Angeles Clippers have agreed to a deal in principle with the league-owned New Orleans Hornets to acquire guard Chris Paul, according to sources close to the process.
The Clippers, sources said, will send guard Eric Gordon, center Chris Kaman, forward Al-Farouq Aminu and Minnesota's unprotected 2012 first-round pick to the Hornets for Paul.
The Clippers will also receive two future second-round picks, according to sources.
The deal is expected to be approved by the league Wednesday night, sources said.
Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.

DefenseWins

EOG Veteran

Source confirms to Y! Eric Gordon and 2012 Minnesota 1st-round pick going to Hornets as part of package for Chris Paul.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Wow, the deal isn't as good for the Hornets as the Lakers deal IMO. It's the same deal I already posted - it was declined by Stern before so I guess he realized they won't get another good deal.

Lakers got screwed and should sue Stern.

It's:

Aminu
Gordon
Kamen
1st round pick

for

Paul and 2nd round picks.

DJDalamar

EOG Dedicated

I hate losing Gordon, but yeah seemed like the other trade was better for more teams.

Weird seems like just couple hours ago ESPN was reporting that Paul was off the table along with Howard.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

I don't understand the love affair with Eric Gordon. He's an undersized 2 guard. He had a damn good year last year, but I don't see how he gets much better. He's undersized and not overly athletic. He's a good player, but Kevin Martin has been doing what Eric Gordon did last year for 5 years and he's still only 27.

Then Scola is better than Kamen and Odom is on another level above Aminu - I didn't like that draft pick to begin with when they made it. The 1st round pick has a ton more value than the Rockets one in a normal year but with the depth of the draft next year the #1 guy may = the #15.

tripp

EOG Master

I think the T'Wolves will be better than people think this year. I plan to make money with that team this season.

Not saying they are playoff bound, but I don't see them as a team that finishes bottom 3. I think Toronto, Washington and Cleveland are worse. Maybe Detroit too.

This is a great deal for the Clippers. Like Gasol-to-the-Lakers type of great deal. If anyone got fleeced it's New Orleans.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

This is a great deal for the Clippers. Like Gasol-to-the-Lakers type of great deal. If anyone got fleeced it's New Orleans.

If you get a chance to read or hear Stern's teleconference from tonight, I recommend it.

Stern is really losing it. He stupidly pointed to the Gasol trade as his defense tonight for why you can't judge a trade for years to come. He tried to act as if Marc Gasol was a big time prospect, when in reality he wasn't and he turned himself into a player. When you trade for a player, you trade for what he is right now and his future potential - at the time, Marc Gasol wasn't NBA ready and no one predicted him to be a potential max-deal big man.

That being said, Stern completely contradicted his actions in regards to the new Laker deal. If you can't judge a trade for years, why were you vetoing a trade made by a NBA professional talent evaluator - Dell Demps? If you don't know how good anyone is going to be, which he admitted in the teleconference, why did you step it?

Thankfully these teleconferences give reporters balls of steel and they'll ask the tougher questions. The follow up to Sterns dumb response was along the lines of:

"So are you rooting for the Hornets then? It appears that you decided to make personnel decisions, and became a talent evaluator yourself for the Hornets. Isn't that a conflict of interest? Can't it be argued that you want the Clippers to become good more than you want to help the Lakers."

Obviously he didn't ask the question in that length, and he did break it up over a couple questions, but Stern's back down was great.

PassTheRock

EOG Master

Kobe could get a sixth ring in LA this year… if he’s willing to take a paycut and get traded to the Clippers.

GreatDane

EOG Member

You can't just look at the players changing teams. You also need to look at the salaries of the players changing teams. Hornets are for sale and therefore the payroll is a key consideration for any new owner. The deal with the Lakers was not as favorable to the Hornets money wise, therefore the reason it didn't get approved.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

You can't just look at the players changing teams. You also need to look at the salaries of the players changing teams. Hornets are for sale and therefore the payroll is a key consideration for any new owner. The deal with the Lakers was not as favorable to the Hornets money wise, therefore the reason it didn't get approved.

I understand everything about the trade. You are letting Stern spin this on you - he vetoed this trade because owners didn't want the Lakers getting really good when they just locked out to prevent players from forcing themselves there.

Average salaries in this deal are 5 million, Lakers deal was 10 million. That being said, they got just as many expiring contracts, and I personally like Kevin Martin more than Eric Gordon. As noted above, I don't understand the love affair with Eric Gordon - he will never be the best player on a playoff team seeded higher than 4. The same can probably be said for Martin, but Scola is much better than any other player they're getting from the Clippers - I haven't even commented on Odom and won't. Kamen's get is valuable because it's en expiring contract, and there's no better trade bait in the NBA than an expiring contract.

The 1st round probably lottery pick this year is clearly the most valuable piece of this trade. Does a #1 pick make up for getting 3 lesser players? IDK, only time will tell.

My entire point throughout this ordeal was that people kept arguing that owners veto trades all the time - that's not anywhere near the same thing. As was said by Jeff Van Gundy yesterday, ownership veto's trades before they are ever made public. The fact that this trade was made public assured us that every person in the Hornets front office agreed to it - it wasn't until Stern heard the wrath from other owners that the trade got vetoed.

Also, I want to point out that the #1 guy that Stern was leaning on throughout this entire ordeal was Stu Jackson. Anyone, and I mean anyone, who follows the NBA closely sees the humor in that. Stu Jackson was one of the worst GM's in the history of the sport. Stu Jackson got his team MOVED from Vancouver because he was such a horrible GM. Stern is trusting that guys talent evaluation over Dell Demps who grew up in the Spurs front office.

Regardless, the NBA got their way and as fans we'll all move on as usual because we have no say. The credibility of the league took a hit, but we'll still be tuning in on Christmas Day. I'm just shocked that the Lakers haven't been more vocal about all of this.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

David Stern and Bud Selig have overstayed their welcome....talk about real dinosaurs...:btj:

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Its plain and simple. Stern vetoed the trade because the Lakers were 'positioning' themselves to get Dwight Howard also. He didnt care if all they got was CP3, but they were angling to get Superman also and the trade would have permitted them to do so. Part of me agree's with what Stern did, it would have turned the NBA into a farce with Miami and LA and nobody else having a prayer. At least for now, that's not the case.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Its plain and simple. Stern vetoed the trade because the Lakers were 'positioning' themselves to get Dwight Howard also. He didnt care if all they got was CP3, but they were angling to get Superman also and the trade would have permitted them to do so. Part of me agree's with what Stern did, it would have turned the NBA into a farce with Miami and LA and nobody else having a prayer. At least for now, that's not the case.

You never stop with the uninformed bullshit posts. This point makes no sense... why don't they have Howard now then smart guy? Wouldn't they still want Howard? Of course they would, but they were never the "leaders" to get Howard. Either follow the sport or shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

So the Lakers should be penalized for being a well run franchise, with smart front office people who set themselves up to make big moves? Yeah, logical reasoning from the king of "logic" here at EOG. :shoot:

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

You never stop with the uninformed bullshit posts. This point makes no sense... why don't they have Howard now then smart guy? Wouldn't they still want Howard? Of course they would, but they were never the "leaders" to get Howard. Either follow the sport or shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

So the Lakers should be penalized for being a well run franchise, with smart front office people who set themselves up to make big moves? Yeah, logical reasoning from the king of "logic" here at EOG. :shoot:

Cmon son, quit while you're behind.

They were angling to get Howard next season when they could get him for free. They were going to have CP3 this year and Howard was going to be added to the fold NEXT year. They don't want to give up the store to get Howard when they can get him for nothing next season.

Seymour

EOG Dedicated

Clippers might have gotten fleeced here, thoughts?
Good players generally won't get u a title - u have to have several stars surrounded by key role players - look at Chicago - they're gonna have some nice regular seasons but have no chance in hell of winning a title unless they get another star caliber player - once in a while u have an exception like the Heat or Pistons

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Good players generally won't get u a title - u have to have several stars surrounded by key role players - look at Chicago - they're gonna have some nice regular seasons but have no chance in hell of winning a title unless they get another star caliber player - once in a while u have an exception like the Heat or Pistons

Not true. 1 elite player can get you there with a great defense and group of damn good role players ++ size. If you think Chicago has "no chance" then you weren't watching last year IMO.

Seymour

EOG Dedicated

I guess Jordan won with a bunch of garbage - thanks for pointing that out

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

I guess Jordan won with a bunch of garbage - thanks for pointing that out

Huh? The Bulls aren't a team full of garbage at all. They have 3 All-Star caliber players outside of Derrick Rose - Deng, Noah and Boozer. Boozer had a horrible year last year, and Noah was hurt 1/2 the year. They still won the most games in the NBA last year w/o everything going their way.

Size - Noah, Gibson, Asik and Boozer is the best front line in basketball - and an elite perimeter scorer (Rose) has proven to be enough in the NBA in the past. The addition of Rip Hamilton is big for a team that got 4.4 PPG out of their starting 2 guard last year. Having the best defense in the NBA the next 5 years with the Heat will keep the Bulls in the hunt every year. They are by far the most underrated team coming into this season.

Seymour

EOG Dedicated

I'm only fucking with u - I know ur a homer - but don't get too excited about ur Bulls because they will only leave u disappointed when the real season starts in the spring

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

I'm only fucking with u - I know ur a homer - but don't get too excited about ur Bulls because they will only leave u disappointed when the real season starts in the spring

Not really a homer with the Bulls, although I do clearly love the team. I am more critical of them than I praise them. I just think they're being overlooked because they don't have a "Big 3" or "Big 2." There's a reason that they have the best package to offer for Dwight Howard - it's because they have the best overall team in the sweepstakes.

I agree they may need another star - I'm the biggest advocate on these boards of trade the farm for ANY star in the NBA. Rip Hamilton is an interesting piece though. They weren't much worse than the Heat last year - if at all - and his addition should clearly make them better.

It'll be another exciting year. I wouldn't have gone 11-0 on Bulls bets posted on these forums last year if they weren't consistently undervalued.

Have a good holiday man.