Chris Mortensen believes Broncos will use a 1st round pick on RG3 if he slips to them

tripp

EOG Master
I know the forum is already way too filled with Tebow topics, but this is an interesting one to me. I'm not a believer in Tebow being NFL capable, and from observation I don't believe either the coach (John Fox) or the president (John Elway) of the Broncos see him as an NFL starter either. With that said, the fans love him and it would be really tough for the front office of Denver to ditch him now with the success he has had, even if they truly believe he cannot sustain it. Even if they believe it's the right football move to replace Tebow in the offseason (or at least bring in a good backup option, preparing for the failure of Tebow in 2012), I don't know how well that would go over with the fanbase.

It is highly unlikely RG3 is on the board when Denver is picking, but do people here think Denver will have the balls to go with another QB next season? Would sure make things interesting.

Integrity

EOG Master
Re: Chris Mortensen believes Broncos will use a 1st round pick on RG3 if he slips to them

don't see it... this is one where the fans win

while a team can't completely cower to their fanbase, they face a p.r. nightmare if tebow isnt the guy next yr

a qb in rd 4 or later i can see, but no way sooner. tebow will get 2012 to prove himself

tripp

EOG Master
Re: Chris Mortensen believes Broncos will use a 1st round pick on RG3 if he slips to them

I believe they would take RG3 if he is there. Luckily for them they won't have to worry about it since RG3 is projected to be a top 10 pick right now and might land in Washington or Miami.

I would be shocked if they didn't take a QB though as they no longer have Orton and Quinn is also a FA. So they will have to either sign a FA or draft one, and I think Elway will want to draft his own guy and be prepared in case Tebow magic wears off next year.

Integrity

EOG Master

you could be right...and he certainly wants his own guy

just think it's not a smart business move and they'll put that off

will be interesting to see tho

RGIII is NOT a great NFL caliber QB. Look at his competition. Just who did he play against. A bunch of defenseless teams in the Big 12, plus Stephen F. Austin and rice. His team still lost 4 games. If Barkley comes out, there are at least 3 QB's who are much better than he is that will be in the draft in 2012. Tebow is the draw. He is money on the bank for Denver. I am talking about merchandise sale type money. Every born again in the nation is pulling for him.

His team lost 3 games and had quality wins against Texas,Oklahoma and TCU. While you can rag on the Big 12 for lack of defense the guy plays for BAYLOR. Not exactly the hotbed for talented players to come.

tripp

EOG Master

RGIII is NOT a great NFL caliber QB. Look at his competition. Just who did he play against. A bunch of defenseless teams in the Big 12, plus Stephen F. Austin and rice. His team still lost 4 games. If Barkley comes out, there are at least 3 QB's who are much better than he is that will be in the draft in 2012. Tebow is the draw. He is money on the bank for Denver. I am talking about merchandise sale type money. Every born again in the nation is pulling for him.

1) Seems like you are arguing that good NFL qb's can only come from the SEC since they have good defenses, otherwise the QB has played nobody and gets no respect. Funny thing is that the SEC has pathetic QB's for the most mart.

2) I thought some computer rankings had Big 12 this year as the best conference in the nation top to bottom?

3) They lost three games.

I'm not necessarily arguing him to be a stud NFL prospect. I'm simply pointing out the flaws in your arguments.

I'm not sure about RG3. Had an amazing year, but I would take Barkley over him in a second (and obviously Luck). Athletic QB's are becoming more frequent in the NFL and I do like his talent more than a Jake Locker, a Blaine Gabbart, or a Christian Ponder (who were all very high draft picks).

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

He won't be there and silly to speculate. What if they SINCERELY have that QB destined to be a great one (as several places are starting to say)? Then you take him. But others would see that as a knock against Tebow. It depends on what happens the rest of this year. If they do well then it would be a PR disaster to take a QB, But again it is silly because Luck, Griffin and the other great QB will all be gone for a while.

tripp

EOG Master

He won't be there and silly to speculate. What if they SINCERELY have that QB destined to be a great one (as several places are starting to say)? Then you take him. But others would see that as a knock against Tebow. It depends on what happens the rest of this year. If they do well then it would be a PR disaster to take a QB, But again it is silly because Luck, Griffin and the other great QB will all be gone for a while.

It's not COMPLETELY out of line to speculate this possibility imo. Highly unlikely? Yes, but Aaron Rodgers slipped way down, Brady Quinn slipped way down. It happens.

Right now RG3 is projected as the #3 QB in the draft. With so many teams already drafting QB's very high in the past few years it's possible that a qb could slip down boards. If miaimi or Washington decide to go another route in the 1st round and Denver somehow loses out this season and misses the playoffs than who knows? Maybe RG3 has a bad combine and slips down some boards.

It's still unlikely because there are teams like Cleveland, Seattle, and KC could all be looking for a QB, but they also couldn't. Cleveland has tons of holes and might decide to build them up before giving up on McCoy. Seattle might like the progression they are seeing from Jackson this year. KC might still believe in Cassel, not blaming this year on him with his TE, and star RB out.

It's an unlikely scenario, but a possible scenario.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

It's not COMPLETELY out of line to speculate this possibility imo. Highly unlikely? Yes, but Aaron Rodgers slipped way down, Brady Quinn slipped way down. It happens.

Right now RG3 is projected as the #3 QB in the draft. With so many teams already drafting QB's very high in the past few years it's possible that a qb could slip down boards. If miaimi or Washington decide to go another route in the 1st round and Denver somehow loses out this season and misses the playoffs than who knows? Maybe RG3 has a bad combine and slips down some boards.

It's still unlikely because there are teams like Cleveland, Seattle, and KC could all be looking for a QB, but they also couldn't. Cleveland has tons of holes and might decide to build them up before giving up on McCoy. Seattle might like the progression they are seeing from Jackson this year. KC might still believe in Cassel, not blaming this year on him with his TE, and star RB out.

It's an unlikely scenario, but a possible scenario.

I think Miami needs a QB too. Well you are right you never know. I never thought Newton would go that high and never thought he would be this good. Amazing. Mortonson is talking out of his arse. I could be wrong here but doubt it....

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I know the forum is already way too filled with Tebow topics, but this is an interesting one to me. I'm not a believer in Tebow being NFL capable, and from observation I don't believe either the coach (John Fox) or the president (John Elway) of the Broncos see him as an NFL starter either. With that said, the fans love him and it would be really tough for the front office of Denver to ditch him now with the success he has had, even if they truly believe he cannot sustain it. Even if they believe it's the right football move to replace Tebow in the offseason (or at least bring in a good backup option, preparing for the failure of Tebow in 2012), I don't know how well that would go over with the fanbase.

It is highly unlikely RG3 is on the board when Denver is picking, but do people here think Denver will have the balls to go with another QB next season? Would sure make things interesting.

Fox has zero belief in Tebow. I've never once felt that Fox has Tebow's back, pretty good change he's gone next year. I think that when they show Elway's face during games when Tebow is making these comebacks they're not happy, they want to lose so they can get a high draft pick of a good QB and move on. Tebow is fucking up their plans big time. No way Denver is going to have a high enough pick to get an elite QB.

DJDalamar

EOG Dedicated

I know you are all waiting with baited breath for my opinion so here it is.

I can't remember who but someone on ESPN brought up a great point and that is the top QB agents will fight and block as much as they can for their guy to go to Denver. Cause it's a no win situation for anyone at this point to try and be QB for that team except Tebow. I didn't know until I saw the documentary on Tebow how much input agents have in the draft. They knew before draft night that they would probably be going to Denver and that Denver was trying to trade up for him. They were pushing for Denver cause McDaniel believed in him so much.

That said they should absolutely try and draft another QB, but it need to be someone with a similar style to Tebow so they don't have to make such a radical change in their offense should Tim get hurt. I don't watch a ton of college but RGIII seems to be a great fit.

I do NOT believe that Fox is no longer behind Tebow. At first yeah he was just trying to get it over with and shut up the fans. But when they had Tebow mic'd up the way Fox talk to him was that of guy that believed in his QB. Mcoy in SI this week flat out said he loves Tebow and that he has taught everyone on the coaching staff important life lessons in believing in yourself.

Obviously we want Fox to say he's all in and this is Tim Tebow's team, but really does any coach say that after 8 games?

Apple

Banned

Fox has zero belief in Tebow. I've never once felt that Fox has Tebow's back, pretty good change he's gone next year. I think that when they show Elway's face during games when Tebow is making these comebacks they're not happy, they want to lose so they can get a high draft pick of a good QB and move on. Tebow is fucking up their plans big time. No way Denver is going to have a high enough pick to get an elite QB.

I disagree, I think they want to make the playoffs for revenue purposes.

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

John Fox had a 73-71 record or basically .500/8-8 average per season in Carolina from 2002-2010.His best year was 2003 and he did make one Super Bowl after '03 losing to the Patriots.After 2005 he only had one winning season in Carolina.

RG3 is going to Washington. He's perfect for Shannys system.

railbird

EOG Master

The Colts should get RG3, get rid of their playoff loser qb Peyton dump him to Jacksonville so he can go 1-15 like when he was a rookie. and get a couple of O lineman, and get rid of their black coach.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I disagree, I think they want to make the playoffs for revenue purposes.

Well NOW they want to make the playoffs, but up until the last couple weeks, they werent thinking they were a playoff team. Now they believe so yeah, at this point, they may as well keep winning.

rdalert447

EOG Dedicated

If the idea is to have Tebow play full back and RGIII tailback, I think it's a fantastic idea. Then all they'll need is a QB.