I'm sorry to say Peep has passed away

AK

I have been told by Peep's family that he passed away yesterday in Toronto from complications of a heart attack he suffered a week ago. He was 66.

As many people here know, his name was Carl Erickson. He was an American from New Jersey who came to make a life in Canada as a young man. He leaves behind a wife and a daughter and two sons.

Carl lived in Cambridge, Ontario, less than an hour's drive west of Toronto. He was an entrepreneur who recently specialized in redeveloping bowling alleys and family recreation centers.

He was also a legend in the world of online gambling forums. Known throughout that world as Peep, he started OGD as a place where online gamblers could speak out against bad books and bad characters within an unregulated and often highly dishonest industry.

His mantra was freedom of speech and the forum for that freedom was what he called this "community" and which now carries his name. His passing is of course a great and sad loss to this community, which has lost its founder and its most respected member.

We join his family in mourning his loss and extend our sympathies and respect to those who knew and loved Carl Erickson in his private life.

http://www.peepsplace.com/showthread.php?t=340122

Apple

Banned
Re: I'm sorry to say Peep has passed away

R.I.P Carl... Really puts everything into perspective...

God Bless him and his family.

J

joeybagadonuts

Sad day for forumville.

RIP Peepers, you were one of the good ones.

Integrity

EOG Master

RIP Peep

i had a negative opinion of ogd when i was roasted there but he was level headed and fair and altho i don't post there, i'd read and he was always one to be fair and level headed

thoughts and prayers to his family

carolinakid

Banned

RIP Peep, did not know Peep here but my prays go out to his family and all that knew and love him

Good guy, Peep. Never met him in person, but had some good e-mails from him.

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

RIP
RIP
RIP

RIP to a forum legend and pray the family and loved ones stay strong.

RIP Peep

[h=2]Don't take life for granted, because tomorrow isn't promised to any one of us.[/h]
-Kirby Puckett

Ray Luca

EOG Master

Did not know him or surf that site. Seems like he was loved. Prayers to the family...RIP

pokerjoe

EOG Senior Member

Peep has been around the SB forums since they arose. True old school good guy. Peace.

pokerjoe

EOG Senior Member

Here's a case where Peep spanked SBR all the hell:
http://www.majorwager.com/forums/mess-hall/281-sbr-declares-gameday-no-pay-case-closed.html

good pic of him in this thread, in which he calls out MW for still taking ads from WSEX.
http://www.majorwager.com/forums/mess-hall/197701-would-any-moderators-here-recommend-wsex-if-asked.html

And for the oldtimers, here's a thread in which Peep talks briefly about how he felt about being right on Ace Gold.
http://www.majorwager.com/forums/mess-hall/45-aces-gold-just-filed-bankruptcy.html

And looking back at all this I'm reminded of how many people have come and gone on the forums, and how many books, too. All World, Royal, Aces Gold (the biggie), Camelot (the saddest), and many, many more.

By some miracle I never got stiffed (I may have been one of the last to cash out of Aces and Camelot, and I think was the last at BetEurosport), mostly thanks to guys like Major at the old MW, and also indirectly to guys like Peep, who was a true watchdog. The old MW had, for a few years, the industry's wild years, by far the best collection of posting talent.

Peep was one.

jfhst18

EOG Veteran

And looking back at all this I'm reminded of how many people have come and gone on the forums, and how many books, too. All World, Royal, Aces Gold (the biggie), Camelot (the saddest), and many, many more.

PJ...By putting All World on that list you imply something untoward happened there, but I think you'll agree that when that book closed it did so in an exemplary way.

I liked Peep because not only did he promote sunshine as the best antidote to offshore skulduggery, but he was a database guy and handicapper. If you're interested in run lines and totals you could do worse than to google into Peep's thoughts on those topics.

Thank you Peep for your work, for your seriousness, for the resources you made available to us, and for the fun you had going about your business. You led a strong life.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated

Thanks Poker Joe for the link. My condolences to Peeps family.

Bagiant

EOG Dedicated

Boy! Same age as me. Never can tell when your time is up. Who knows, I might be next to go.

Tuckman

Uh Poster

Terrible news, one of the few icons amongst the forums that wasnt a puppet, RIP Peep!

pokerjoe

EOG Senior Member

jfhst18, yes, I inadvertently phrased things to suggest All World stiffed, which if memory serves, they did not. It was so long ago and we were all in and out of so many books, and they were coming and going with such frequency, that it's sometimes hard to keep them all straight, but I wouldn't want to wrongly convict anyone, even years later.

Here's a case where Peep spanked SBR all the hell:
http://www.majorwager.com/forums/mess-hall/281-sbr-declares-gameday-no-pay-case-closed.html

good pic of him in this thread, in which he calls out MW for still taking ads from WSEX.
http://www.majorwager.com/forums/mess-hall/197701-would-any-moderators-here-recommend-wsex-if-asked.html

And for the oldtimers, here's a thread in which Peep talks briefly about how he felt about being right on Ace Gold.
http://www.majorwager.com/forums/mess-hall/45-aces-gold-just-filed-bankruptcy.html

By some miracle I never got stiffed (I may have been one of the last to cash out of Aces and Camelot, and I think was the last at BetEurosport), mostly thanks to guys like Major at the old MW, and also indirectly to guys like Peep, who was a true watchdog. The old MW had, for a few years, the industry's wild years, by far the best collection of posting talent.

Peep was one.

Pokerjoe, nice finds. BTW, is SBR run today by the same guys as in 2003? I see Founder 2005 placards all over the place. Did it restart under new management or something?

FISHHEAD

EOG Master

Met PEEP a couple years ago at the SBR bash..........quiet guy.

May he rest in peace.

Peep told it like it was, he was maybe the only other guy besides me talking about Aces Gold being on the brink (when they were supposedly the biggest thing around).

Another of the old school guys gone, sad in many ways.

Thank you for the update AK. This is a terribly sad event. I too thought he would certainly recover. May God bless the family and friends he leaves behind.

Timetopay

EOG Master

Wow this sucks. Always liked this guy. Seemed like a solid honest man.

He will be missed