My Monday blog

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
So much for the 15-1 regular-season mark posted by surefire NFL MVP Aaron Rodgers and the explosive offense of the Green Bay Packers.

And so much for the 18-3 record of the NFC's #1 seed in the NFL Divisional Playoffs since 1990.

The defending champion Packers, listed at even-money to win Super Bowl XLVI at Cantor Gaming properties in mid-December, will not repeat as world champions.

The Packers looked more like the underdog than the favorite in yesterday's 37-20 loss to the relentless and rejuvenated New York Giants, a team that split its first 14 games of the regular season before rattling off four consecutive victories in convincing style.

The Giants' defense created four takeaways and recorded four sacks in holding the high-powered Packers 15 points below their season average before a stunned crowd of 72,000-plus at Lambeau Field.

Tom Coughlin's team is looking a lot like the 2007 edition of the New York Giants, the one featuring a clutch quarterback and a fierce pass rush that captured Super Bowl XLII.

The seeds of this New York revival were planted four weeks ago when the Giants routed the Jets, 29-14.

On the day Coughlin and the Giants quieted loudmouth Rex Ryan, the Giants' defense delivered two interceptions, five sacks, six quarterback hits, seven tackles for losses and 12 passes defended.

Disregard the miserable defensive numbers of the Giants earlier this season, the G-men -- led by pass rushers Osi Umenyiora, Jean Pierre-Paul and Michael Boley and pass defenders Antrel Rolle, Aaron Ross and Corey Webster -- are now healthy, hungry and hard-hitting.

Quick notes about the other three survivors advancing to Championship Sunday:

SAN FRANCISCO......Score another victory for defense over offense. The 49ers were tough physically and mentally in their 36-32 victory over the Saints. For 55 minutes, San Francisco controlled the pace of the game and the points on the board. In the final five minutes, all hell broke loose and the 49ers were forced to rally not once but twice to defeat Drew Brees and the most prolific offense (statistically) in NFL history. The game-winning touchdown featured Alex Smith firing a dart to tight end Vernon Davis from 14 yards out to send the loud crowd at Candlestick Park into a frenzy. It was fitting Smith and Davis connected on the game-winning score as those two players failed to produce under former head coach Mike Singletary but since have flourished under first-year head man Jim Harbaugh.

NEW ENGLAND.....The Patriots sent a message to the Denver Broncos and the rest of the NFL with a resounding 45-10 victory Saturday night at Gillette Stadium. The statement win saw Tom Brady pass for six touchdowns (five in the first half), including three TD strikes to 22-year-old tight end Rob Gronkowski, who caught 10 passes for 145 yards. Gronkowski appears ticketed for a Hall-of-Fame career, especially with Brady tabbing "Gronk" as his favorite receiver. Here's all you need to know about New England's near-perfect performance this past weekend: the Patriots put 42 points on the board with 11:53 remaining in the THIRD quarter. New England, clearly the class of the field, is searching for its fifth Super Bowl appearance and fourth Super Bowl title over the past 11 seasons.

BALTIMORE.....Credit the Ravens for their workmanlike 20-13 victory over Arian Foster and the hard-trying Texans. But now Baltimore steps up in class, from rookie T.J. Yates to three-time Super Bowl champ Tom Brady, and they must play outside the friendly confines (9-0 at home this season) of M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore. The Ravens historically struggle against the Pats (1-6 in seven overall meetings) but Baltimore will draw on their wild-card win in 2010 when the Ravens handed the Patriots a 33-14 beating, the first home playoff loss for New England in 30 years. Eight-time Pro Bowl safety Ed Reed suffered an ankle sprain (severity unknown) on Houston's last play from scrimmage. Reed has eight interceptions in ten career playoff games, including an interception at the goal line yesterday with less than two minutes remaining in the game.

MONDAY'S BEST BET.....Play 719 OKLAHOMA CITY -2.5 over Boston. The betting marketplace has been slow to recognize the decline of the aging Celtics, losers of four straight games. The young Thunder (11-2) is ripping through the condensed schedule, starting the season with a five-game winning streak and currently riding a run of six consecutive victories. OKC exits a romping home win over the New York Knicks in which Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and James Harden did not play in the fourth quarter. Look for a focused effort from the Thunder as former Celtic Kendrick Perkins returns to the place where he spent seven productive seasons.

COMING TUESDAY.....A review of Week 1 in "The SportsOptions Showdown" featuring EOG contributor "dsethi" and Mark Simons, the in-house handicapper at SportsOptions.

Ray Luca

EOG Master
Re: My Monday blog

Good Luck OKC, I bet last night...

Woulda bet that you were going to write about a Harbaugh vs Harbaugh Bowl, a very good chance of happening.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Good Luck OKC, I bet last night...

Woulda bet that you were going to write about a Harbaugh vs Harbaugh Bowl, a very good chance of happening.

I thought about it, Ray.

A rematch of Super Bowl XLII (Giants v Pats) will draw higher ratings than a rematch of the Thanksgiving game between 49ers and Ravens.

The Harbaughs are a perfect 5-for-5 in making the NFL postseason (John 4-for-4 with Baltimore and Jim 1-for-1 with Frisco).

Ray Luca

EOG Master

I thought about it, Ray.

A rematch of Super Bowl XLII (Giants v Pats) will draw higher ratings than a rematch of the Thanksgiving game between 49ers and Ravens.

The Harbaughs are a perfect 5-for-5 in making the NFL postseason (John 4-for-4 with Baltimore and Jim 1-for-1 with Frisco).

!00% true about the ratings but the Pats D is no good. I'm on the Ravens with 9 laying ju ice

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

!00% true about the ratings but the Pats D is no good. I'm on the Ravens with 9 laying ju ice

Great weekend for you.

3-1 in the NFL including a moneyline play on the Giants plus a $90 horse at Gulfstream.

Stay in the zone.

Ray Luca

EOG Master

Great weekend for you.

3-1 in the NFL including a moneyline play on the Giants plus a $90 horse at Gulfstream.

Stay in the zone.

Don't forget about the $31 horse in same thread...bet down from 25-1 in the last two minutes...wink wink

thanks

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated

Nobody in New York has been surprised by the Giants. Their pass-rush is back, and, with everybody scare of Victor Cruz, it has enabled Nicks to go crazy. I'd bet them straight through. I agree with Ray on the Ravens. I think NE's blowout inflated that line by about a fg.

Nice blog. Will root OKC home.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Nobody in New York has been surprised by the Giants. Their pass-rush is back, and, with everybody scare of Victor Cruz, it has enabled Nicks to go crazy. I'd bet them straight through. I agree with Ray on the Ravens. I think NE's blowout inflated that line by about a fg.

Nice blog. Will root OKC home.

Thanks Dad.

Good point about Cruz and Nicks complementing one another.

Nicks made the play of the game on the desperation pass and catch at the end of the first half.

dogball

EOG Master

Good read as usual
Slight modification, in 2009 Vernon davis had 13 tds and just under 1000 yds. Smith was. benched For a few games but the maryland star has produced bigtime in the past with as

Good luck with ok city, gonna tail

dogball

EOG Master

Singeltary eviscerating davis was just played on mike and mike from few years ago

Classic

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Singeltary eviscerating davis was just played on mike and mike from few years ago

Classic

That's my memory of the Singletary-Davis relationship.

Singletary was 6-10 last season with virtually the same roster at Harbaugh's disposal.

Thanks for the notes, Steven.

Singletary was 6-10 last season with virtually the same roster at Harbaugh's disposal.

That tells me he and his staff were either bad x's and o guys or his team hated him and didn't care. 40/60 spilt imo.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Biggest chokers, 2011 Packers or 2011 Phillies????

I say Packers.

I'd like to see how the Giants fare before classifying the Packers as "chokers."

The Phils lost to the eventual World Series champs (St. Louis) in five games with the deciding game a 1-0 classic as Carpenter outdueled Halladay.

munson15

I want winners...

I know Green Bay played poorly (dropped passes, fumbles), but the Giants basically pitched a shutout against one of the great offensive machines of all-time. The first Packer touchdown was created by the inept interpretation of a simple replay by ref Bill Levy (clearly a fumble and Giant recovery in the second quarter) and the last Packer score was aided and abetted by Levy again, calling a phantom 15-yard penalty on 3rd and ten. Unbelievable that New York could manhandle a healthy, rested Packer ballclub in their own building.

Thanks and GL on today's pick. I like the Perkins angle, and emotional player in an emotional spot.:cheers

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

I know Green Bay played poorly (dropped passes, fumbles), but the Giants basically pitched a shutout against one of the great offensive machines of all-time. The first Packer touchdown was created by the inept interpretation of a simple replay by ref Bill Levy (clearly a fumble and Giant recovery in the second quarter) and the last Packer score was aided and abetted by Levy again, calling a phantom 15-yard penalty on 3rd and ten. Unbelievable that New York could manhandle a healthy, rested Packer ballclub in their own building.

Thanks and GL on today's pick. I like the Perkins angle, and emotional player in an emotional spot.:cheers

I'm a bit surprised by the betting move on the 49ers against this stealth defense of the Giants.

FISHHEAD

EOG Master

Thanks JK

Just took OKLA CITY at -2 for the wife.....................thank you kind sir.

:houra

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated

I'm a bit surprised by the betting move on the 49ers against this stealth defense of the Giants.

Shocked, is more like it. Giants could have won that game by 31 - they got some bad calls. If they had, they'd probably be pick 'em now, and favored by game-time.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

sca'ry to th'ink abo'ut thi's bu't.......

I'F To'ny R'omo hi'ts M'iles Au'stin o'n th'at 3r'd do'wn p'ass 'in wh'ich Aus'tin w'as wi'ii'ii'ii'iide op'en a'nd mig'ht st'ill be' ru'nni'ng i'f h'e c'aught i't '-' t'he Gia'nts d'on't e'ven MA'K'E t'he pla'yof'fs.

R'omo' ju'u'u'u'uu'u'u'u'u'u'ust o'vert'hrew Au'st'in a'nd NY'G c'am'e b'ack a'nd o'n'e t'he g'ame (We'ek 1'4 - o'r s'o)

shows that feetball truly is a game on inches

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

sca'ry to th'ink abo'ut thi's bu't.......

I'F To'ny R'omo hi'ts M'iles Au'stin o'n th'at 3r'd do'wn p'ass 'in wh'ich Aus'tin w'as wi'ii'ii'ii'iide op'en a'nd mig'ht st'ill be' ru'nni'ng i'f h'e c'aught i't '-' t'he Gia'nts d'on't e'ven MA'K'E t'he pla'yof'fs.

R'omo' ju'u'u'u'uu'u'u'u'u'u'ust o'vert'hrew Au'st'in a'nd NY'G c'am'e b'ack a'nd o'n'e t'he g'ame (We'ek 1'4 - o'r s'o)

shows that feetball truly is a game on inches

Well played, Winky, well played.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

According to kenpom.com, KU should be an 8-point favorite in Lawrence and a 1-point dog in Waco.

Pinnacle opened KU a 5.5-point favorite and the number currently stands at 6.5.

What are your thoughts, Dave?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Robinson's stock is skyrocketing, according to NBA scouts.

Excerpt from www.nbadraft.net:

Robinson has really impressed scouts with his added face the basket skills. With a huge wingspan, the junior has played with great energy all season. Showing the ability to consistently knock down mid-range jumpshots, as well as get to the rim off the dribble has elevated his stock to a likely top 10 pick according to scouts. He's got the consistent motor and fire that seems to be lacking from fellow Big 12 forward prospect Perry Jones.

J

joeybagadonuts

Singletary was an amazing player and a god awful coach.

He was clueless as to how to actually coach a team, was hated by the players, as well as the other coaches. Just a really bad all around coach.

Harbaugh is basically the coaching antithesis of Singletary.

I was very surprised with the amount of early $ flooding in on the Niners, as I posted last night, I feel very thankful to have gotten in a pk -135, and -1.5 -110.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Under Mike Singletary, Alex Smith never would have made the game-winning throw, a 14-yard bullet to Vernon Davis, to beat New Orleans.

Jim Harbaugh instilled confidence in Smith all season long and the brilliant coaching paid off last Saturday.