Ways That Sports Gambling is Superior to Poker

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Re: Ways That Sports Gambling is Superior to Poker

One last story about my chess...was an above average player in High School and always got ripped by my friends for missing wrestling practice for a chess match....non stop abuse and especially from my coach the first day back at practice after a chess match...played #3 on the chess team...:LMAO

Yeah, I also ran track and played baskets. I would hustle chess for money too. No one would play me after a while. I offered one retard both Rooks and Queen for $25 straight odds, and still beat him. Gained a pretty nasty rep after that one.

Bagiant

EOG Dedicated

I've been doing both for a long long time, and probably do better at sports betting than poker, although I played poker professionally for about 10 years in Gardena, CA where I worked as a prop player after playing many years on my own.

I guess it all comes down to which one you have better success at...poker or sports betting. To me, it's a toss of the coin!

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

I've been doing both for a long long time, and probably do better at sports betting than poker, although I played poker professionally for about 10 years in Gardena, CA where I worked as a prop player after playing many years on my own.

I guess it all comes down to which one you have better success at...poker or sports betting. To me, it's a toss of the coin!

Prop playing is a tough grind....I dealt poker in Vegas during the early 80's...During my trips to Vegas I play a lot of poker and bet horses...there are a couple holdem games here in Thailand, but they are house games and not on the up and up...so the only time I play now is when I am in Vegas or Atlantic City...

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR

HT, with all due respect don't play Joey. In fact don't play anyone, walk right by the poker room and head for Keno, you got a better shot. :)

I like you dude but you've missed the mark here. Badly.

High Times

EOG Master

HT, with all due respect don't play Joey. In fact don't play anyone, walk right by the poker room and head for Keno, you got a better shot. :)

I like you dude but you've missed the mark here. Badly.

Dude I know.

I have never played a game of poker for money in my entire life.

I think I could be pretty good as I completely understand how the game is played, but never actually tried.

I remember in the 80's Alan Boston would try to get me to play against the tourists on the weekends. Him and a bunch of other guys I knew made some good money on weekends playing live games in Vegas.

I never did it........

I would play anyone, but not for big money for obvious reasons

:pop:

J

joeybagadonuts

Wow, so HighTimes was full of shit again? Shocking!!!!

The guys tries to talk shit and has no clue what he is talking about yet again.

:cheers

High Times

EOG Master

Wow, so HighTimes was full of shit again? Shocking!!!!

The guys tries to talk shit and has no clue what he is talking about yet again.

:cheers

STFU

I will always tell you when I am bullshitting you.

Don't worry little boy

I won't lead you astray :LMAO

J

joeybagadonuts

You must hate the internet since you come off as fool everyime you post.

Tell us again how you win gambling on < feel > yet can't prove it since you now claim to only win at in-game betting. Sounds just like Fezzik.

truthseeker

EOG Addicted

Poker is a childish game that makes people think they are smarter than they are. I have seen people lose hands when they had pocket aces. Luck and the dealer having a agenda can doom you in poker. Online poker is a joke. Big bank usually takes little bank because the dealer eventually has to get the game over, that is common sense. Which we to better get it over? Find you someone that is going to headhunt and take it all opponents possible. You are stupid if you think poker is overall a skilled contest. Find me a poker player that wins or places in over 50% of there contests when entering as many contests as the average serious sports bettor makes plays.

J

joeybagadonuts

Poker is a childish game that makes people think they are smarter than they are. I have seen people lose hands when they had pocket aces. Luck and the dealer having a agenda can doom you in poker. Online poker is a joke. Big bank usually takes little bank because the dealer eventually has to get the game over, that is common sense. Which we to better get it over? Find you someone that is going to headhunt and take it all opponents possible. You are stupid if you think poker is overall a skilled contest. Find me a poker player that wins or places in over 50% of there contests when entering as many contests as the average serious sports bettor makes plays.

Please tell me you are kidding with this?

:shoot:

J

joeybagadonuts

Here are the top winners in the last 4.5 years of online poker, how many people betting sports have made this much in the same time period?

PLAYER
WINNINGS

Phil Ivey
$19.242.744

Patrik Antonius
$11.837.531

OMGClayAiken
$7.865.837

Urindanger
$7.411.127

jungleman12
$7.003.234

trex313
$5.571.517

theASHMAN103
$4.850.074

EazyPeazy
$4.160.304

Brian Hastings
$3.890.941

howisitfeellike
$3.591.245

KaiBuxxe
$3.186.718

skjervoy
$3.150.219

Mark Vos
$2.966.122

La Key U
$2.672.097

pr1nnyraid
$2.456.218

durrrr
$2.402.039

FinddaGrind
$2.341.627

Ilari FIN
$2.214.955

refaelamit
$2.193.577

LokoIsBack
$2.017.989

:+clueless

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

Both, Sports and Poker, have positives and negatives. I've tried Poker in the past when it was easier for us to play, but I'm definitely a fish among sharks. I was much better playing SnGs though... cash games were usually a money pit.

:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO Cant believe the stuff you say in here and then try to call other people stupid. You really think sports betting is more beatable than poker if you know what you are doing?

J

joeybagadonuts

:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO Cant believe the stuff you say in here and then try to call other people stupid. You really think sports betting is more beatable than poker if you know what you are doing?

That is a top 10 dumbest post of all time.

He says "Online poker is a joke. Big bank usually takes little bank because the dealer eventually has to get the game over, that is common sense. Which we to better get it over? Find you someone that is going to headhunt and take it all opponents possible. "

Ok, I found one. http://www.highstakesdb.com/profiles/pokerstars/Isildur1.aspx

Here is his results for the last 24 HOURS

Isildur1
6763 hands
$774,626

The best part was he started the session with only $7k in his account.

:LMAO

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

Here are the top winners in the last 4.5 years of online poker, how many people betting sports have made this much in the same time period?

This is actually a lot less than I would have guessed. Outside the top 2-5, not overly impressive.

Pretty impressive to me. Look at the bankroll some of these top players started with and what they have made in the last 5 years. That would be close to impossible for a sports bettor.

J

joeybagadonuts

This is actually a lot less than I would have guessed. Outside the top 2-5, not overly impressive.

Well, they didn't start tracking PLO till around 2009 so there is 2 years of heavy play missed there. It also only tracks the american sites. Most also play the euro sites where the games are much weaker. Not to mention all the multi-accounting that goes on....

And, as Brick said, a majority of these guys started with a deposit of between 0-$50.

It would take a massive bankroll to get anywhere close to making this much betting sports hitting at a 53% clip.

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

Joey said those figures were 4-5 years. So the #25 online poker player in the world has made 450k/year before taxes. Even disregarding the fact that there are far far more people trying to make a "career" out of poker than sports betting, I wouldn't be surprised if the #25 sport bettor in the world cleared 450k/year before taxes and considering how much of it is done off-shore/with locals, they probably only need like 300k/year to walk away with the same amount of money at the end of the day.

In the end, gambling is a hard game to get rich from.

J

joeybagadonuts

Tim,

There have been 100s if not thousands who have made millions playing online the last 5 years.

The tracking site I used only tracks the high stakes games. 25/50 blinds and higher.

Many, many of the guys that make mid 6 figures a year never play that high.

Tim, how big of a bankroll do you think the sports bettors have available that are making close to a half million a year?

J

joeybagadonuts

Not to mention that both 100k buy in events already held this year at the PCA and Aussies Millions both got 25+ participants.

How many sports bettors would buy into a 100k event? Didn't the M get like 3 when they offered one?

Shit, there is a million dollar buy in event later this year.

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

Tim, how big of a bankroll do you think the sports bettors have available that are making close to a half million a year?

I really only know two groups that play on this scale so it's purely anecdotal, but one made over 1MM last year on a 3MM bankroll (this after being down some 600k in the early fall).

Secondly Joey, again - how many more professional poker players are there than professional sports bettors (excluding touts who don't really bet)? I'd guess it's probably 50 to 1.

High Times

EOG Master

You must hate the internet since you come off as fool everyime you post.

Tell us again how you win gambling on < feel > yet can't prove it since you now claim to only win at in-game betting. Sounds just like Fezzik.

Again

I don't claim anything. You kids claim you know what I do ..... nothing more stupid than that. And a lot of my in-game betting is done only because of the #'s. The value can be huge during in-game betting if you're smart enough to know where the value is.

It's not for everyone ... That is knowing what has value in such a short amount of time.

100% math bets. Something none of you so-called math guys could ever do and keep doing. You would all go broke.

:btj:

J

joeybagadonuts

Again

I don't claim anything. You kids claim you know what I do ..... nothing more stupid than that. And a lot of my in-game betting is done only because of the #'s. The value can be huge during in-game betting if you're smart enough to know where the value is.

It's not for everyone ... That is knowing what has value in such a short amount of time.

100% math bets. Something none of you so-called math guys could ever do and keep doing. You would all go broke.

:btj:

Actually you absolutely could use 100% math bets.

One of the option trading tools that IT said some groups were using would apply perfectly to price totals and what value each was worth as time ran off the clock in a given event.

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

Joey is correct of course, but no point trying to teach the dinosaur new tricks.

shelvifiroza

EOG Member

I think poker is more superior than any other sports game. Poker games cab be won by known tricks which are very effective to win a game. In this a single man can change game mode of win or lose.

In both poker and sportsbetting, you get to sit down. I rate them even.

You have to stand up for craps, which really can take a toll on you mentally and physically from the gamblers I've seen.

pokerjoe

EOG Senior Member

Dude I know.

I have never played a game of poker for money in my entire life.

I think I could be pretty good as I completely understand how the game is played, but never actually tried.
:pop:

Only someone who doesn't at all understand how the game is played would say they completely understand how the game is played.

pokerjoe

EOG Senior Member

Sports betting and poker are different, that's all.

Poker is cool because it's always there and takes no prep (apart from the lifetime of prep in learning how to play, of course). Grab a day roll, head out the door, play, earn.

Sports betting takes advance work (if you're handicapping, not if you're numbers grinding I suppose, except that you'd have to set up accounts and agents). I have to start prepping for football in August; if I take a week off midseason it could take me days to get caught up; if I take several weeks off, forget about it. Yet I'm writing this because I've spontaneously decided to take a day off poker; I can't do that in sports betting, I couldn't just not work on a Monday during football season, for example.

The challenges of playing higher stakes in sports or poker are interesting, too.

In poker, the higher stakes games are fewer. There are only a handful of places in the world with consistent 10/20 NL or higher games (even Vegas just barely makes the list; it's really only that suckass Bellagio 10/20, dependably). And the big games are tougher. Your win rate will quickly drop, in relative terms, as you move up in stakes. For me, the difference in my win rates between 2/5, 5/10 low cap, 5/10 high cap, and 10/20 are so small they might not even be real (well, that's exaggerated; it's still better to play higher stakes, but only marginally so).

In sports, the difficulties in betting more are in getting down. The edge on a bet doesn't change, the game doesn't get tougher, like in poker. But getting down gets harder, and the low hanging fruit disappears (no SIA, no 5Dimes reduced juice, no Bookmaker points rebate thing, and so on, so in that respect the game does get tougher as you bet more). Sports betting isn't devoid of scaling problems. You see an off number in Vegas and want to bet $100 on it, no prob; see that same off number and want to hit it for 5k, good luck.

Further, sports betting has low-limit scaling problems, in this respect:

Given a 2.4k BR and a 1/2 NL game, for example, I could reasonably expect to earn a working class living ($2,400/mo). I wouldn't be happy about it, but I wouldn't go hungry or homeless. If I had the energy for it, I could crank out hours and build my BR up quickly, cards breaking even.

I couldn't expect to earn 2.4k a month off a 2.4k BR in sports betting, much less grow the BR. If I was reduced to a 2.4k BR in sports, I'd get a job (not that there are jobs I could get).

IOW, the edges in poker, at the common stakes games, are much, much bigger.

It's also possible that sports betting will get so efficient that no player to earn off it. That can't really happen in poker, it isn't a game that can be solved (not live poker; I won't weigh in on whether online poker can be roboticised to the point of unplayability).

Also, in poker, the house doesn't care which of us wins. In sports, if a house gets outplayed, it closes down or goes broke or boots. If either the players or the house gets too good at sports, bad things happen. Behave properly and you can always earn in poker; behave properly and sports books might still tell you to GTFO.

And I haven't even mentioned that poker is social, sports betting solitary. I don't mind solitude, but many of the real numbers-grinding sports bettors (or online poker players) are flat out anti-social, don't kid yourself, and that's a lousy life, don't kid yourself again. If you like people, if you think all kinds of people are interesting, if you want to live a life with all kinds of people in it, choose live poker. If you want to sit alone in a room staring at a computer monitor for hours on end, grind sports or online poker.