Why didn't NE let the giants score with 2 mins remaining????

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated
Re: Why didn't NE let the giants score with 2 mins remaining????

Everyone reading HT's posts are making themselves dumber. Just mind-numbing stupidity.

2W2P2S

EOG Dedicated

Everyone reading HT's posts are making themselves dumber. Just mind-numbing stupidity.

How funny is it that arguably one of the greatest coaches in NFL history decides his team has a better shot at winning by allowing the Giants to score rather than kick a FG and HT argues that those that would make that decision have no understanding of the game. It's just too perfect.

High Times

EOG Master

No idea. Bad coaching. Same way coaches and QB's don't remind RB's and WR's not to go out of bounds when wanting to run clock.

New England obviously thought giving NY the TD was giving them a better chance to win. Those Patriot nerds! Never played the game at a high level!!!!!

But you just made my point

NEVER .... NEVER should an NFL team (or any sport team) let the other team score!!!!

NEVER

NEVER

I don't care how many time I print it you NEVER let the other team score...

You know why?

Because it DESTROYS the integrity of the game itself!!!

Maybe that's why Landry, Shula, Knoll, Knox, Lombardi, and on and on NEVER, NEVER would allow this CRAP.

They took the loss!!!

These great coach's would NEVER stoop to that level and LET the other team score.

Do any on you have any morals?

Do any of you have any pride?

Letting a team score should be a HUGE penalty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess in this new world even letting the other team score is OK.......

Fucking idiots

High Times

EOG Master

How funny is it that arguably one of the greatest coaches in NFL history decides his team has a better shot at winning by allowing the Giants to score rather than kick a FG and HT argues that those that would make that decision have no understanding of the game. It's just too perfect.

Then why didn't all the great coach's from 20 to 40 years ago do this bullshit!!!!

And that is what this is ..... Bullshit!

Any NFL team that let's another team score should be fined HUGE!!!

Way to ruin a sport!!!!!!!

Shula was right

Lombardi was right

Knoll was right

Brown was right

All the old time coach's were 100% right about this topic.

Letting teams score ....... Falling down at the 1 .......

There was a reason the old teams would never think about doing that ....

It's called INTEGRITY ......

Today's players and teams have lost it!

Why are you giving him credit? He blew the game with both his usage of time outs and waiting an extra play to let them score.

2W2P2S

EOG Dedicated

I win

:houra

Yep, you won.
And you hit 60% betting NBA totals.
You make a killing betting in game.
And you made a killing teasing down 6 point favorites with those "wing nut teasers or whatever they called them".

You're a winner. I concede.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

High Times...I agreed with you that the Giants did the right thing and scored but your reasons have me confused as well as some of your comments....some of these posters are just pushing your buttons...

2W2P2S

EOG Dedicated

Why are you giving him credit? He blew the game with both his usage of time outs and waiting an extra play to let them score.

He no doubt should have allowed them to score on 1st down IMO.....but I think you have to compare him historically to those in his profession. Nobody was flawless. I stand by one of the best ever.

And in hindsight, easy to say he shouldn't have challenged the catch. But NYG did the right thing and rushed to the line before a replay could be shown. Have to challenge there.

He no doubt should have allowed them to score on 1st down IMO.....but I think you have to compare him historically to those in his profession. Nobody was flawless. I stand by one of the best ever.

And in hindsight, easy to say he shouldn't have challenged the catch. But NYG did the right thing and rushed to the line before a replay could be shown. Have to challenge there.
I agree that he's one of the best coaches to ever coach, but his time management was baffling. Another blunder was after the two minute warning. He didn't call a time out allowing the maximum amount of time to run off the clock. It turned out that not calling a time out there didn't make a difference, but could have if the game played out differently.

steak tartar

EOG Dedicated

kickers now are infinitely better now that the "good old" days.....hence strategy changes and good coaches recognize that.........in 1967 51% of FG were made now its over 80.........and just look at the 70's \22% of Fg over 50 were made now its up to 55%.......kickers are close to auto 3's now.....i know they can miss cun(t)diff last week.......but overall you cant compare what lombardi wouldve done as to now because the weaponry isnt even the same animal

I think that most of us here watching on TV were a step or two ahead of Belichick.
[h=1][/h]

2W2P2S

EOG Dedicated

I agree that he's one of the best coaches to ever coach, but his time management was baffling. Another blunder was after the two minute warning. He didn't call a time out allowing the maximum amount of time to run off the clock. It turned out that not calling a time out there didn't make a difference, but could have if the game played out differently.

Agree with that, he should have called time out 1st play after the 2:00 warning.

High Times

EOG Master

kickers now are infinitely better now that the "good old" days.....hence strategy changes and good coaches recognize that.........in 1967 51% of FG were made now its over 80.........and just look at the 70's \22% of Fg over 50 were made now its up to 55%.......kickers are close to auto 3's now.....i know they can miss cun(t)diff last week.......but overall you cant compare what lombardi wouldve done as to now because the weaponry isnt even the same animal

Great point

High Times

EOG Master

High Times...I agreed with you that the Giants did the right thing and scored but your reasons have me confused as well as some of your comments....some of these posters are just pushing your buttons...

I think I'm really getting upset about the way the game is being played in 2012.

I really don't like the "let the other team score" mentality. I am sure none of the old time coach's would ever think of doing that.

I also think both calls ARE RIGHT!

You want to take a chance letting the clock run down and take an automatic FG then that seems like a great call UNLESS you miss the FG and then the loss would be the worst loss in Super Bowl history. The kicker would have any missed 25 yd FG and closer named after him. and so on

Scoring the TD and playing 1 minute of defense like the Giants did was the right way to play the game...... Just an opinion

Scoring the TD or sitting down on the 1 ........

It's an opinion as both calls would most likely resulted in a win.

Scoring the TD worked.

:pop:

dinkenson

EOG Dedicated

i just laid -102 on a coin flip...i called heads...it came up heads....did i do the right thing??

dinkenson

EOG Dedicated

it won...if i took +02 on tails i would have lose...i guess you are not buying into the odds on making an extra point

High Times

EOG Master

And that has nothing to do with kicking a FG or scoring a TD

The reality is that there are no reliable %'s you can use to make the case that making a game winning FG in the last seconds of a Super Bowl is the right call.

All you can do is guess.

I would rather score the SURE THING TD

this is my last post on this retarded "let's NOT score a TD" talk

High Times

EOG Master

it won...if i took +02 on tails i would have lose...i guess you are not buying into the odds on making an extra point

Not at all.... 2 completely different subjects.

the coin flip is 50/50

There is no math that is exact when talking about making game winning FG's in Super Bowls

Not even close to the same thing

dinkenson

EOG Dedicated

i think it's not that hard to have educated estimates...you are certainly entitled to your opinion

You think the odds are the same for the regular season as compared to the FG that the Giants could have taken in the SB?

What would the odds be of NE kicking a FG if the Giants took the 3?

dinkenson

EOG Dedicated

they could have run the clock to about 14 secs and left new eng without at timeout ...so a fg would have only come off a pass interference...it would have been an extra point and not a fg..even manning thought it was right to kneel at the one