SWEET 16 sleeper teams?

CHALKbreaker

EOG Dedicated
OK, give your best 3 sleeper teams who you think have a reasonable shot of making the sweet 16. By "sleeper" I mean an 8 seed, or lower.

My top 3:

UW-MILWAUKEE: These boys can flat out BALL!! They are athlectic, VERY experienced (return 4 of the 5 starters who made the sweet 16 run from last year), and have shooters ALL OVER the court!. Oklahoma is not the greatest match-up for them (much more would prefer an over rated SEC team) as they are very physical, but they have struggled down the stretch, and UWM is red hot. If they can pull the upset there, I think they beat either Florida or S. Alabama with ease.

TEXAS A&M: Billy Gilispe is simply a remarkable coach. He has brought an A&M program from the DEAD. Much like he did with UTEP, who almost pulled off a 1st round shocker over defending champion Maryland a few years back. Syracuse is a VASTLY over rated team. Gilispe should have no problem breaking down that 2-3 zone. If they get by there, I don't think they will have any trouble with either iona, or an over rated SEC team in LSU.

NORTHWESTERN STATE: A total BOMB selection, but I LOVE this team. I just with they would have not drew Iowa in the 1st round. An over rated SEC team would have been MUCH better. I still think they have a shot to upset Iowa. This team can run you out if the gym. They are athletic, and go 11 deep! They have all ready had huge non conference wins AT Oklahoma State, Oregon State, and Mississippi State.Iowa will be tough, but hey, like my name says. I don't just give you all chalk like everyone else!!

nydoc

EOG Dedicated
also like ark, if they can beat bucknell, they certainly have the talent to beat memphis if they play well. another team who could lose in the first round, but could also upset a bunch of teams and make a run

CHALKbreaker

EOG Dedicated
pvc: How has law school been going?

I'm not a big SEC hater, btw. I can just give detailed data over the past 10 years how bad of bets those teams are in the dance. I consider them a great FOOTBALL conference, and a very average one in hoops. I agree that if Wichita State can get by Seton Hall they have a GREAT shot of taking down Tennessee (IF they get by Winthrop), who comes in stumbling down the stretch

The Missouri Valley is very difficult to gauge. It was the talk of the NCAA, of being the next major "mid-major", but when all was said and done, the committee obviously had reservations about the Missouri Valley. As Wichita State is the highest seed, at just a 7. While the winner of the conference (S. Illinois) ends up as a 11. I think bracket buster weekend really hurt the conference, as they did very poor.

Another team that deserves consideration for a true shocker is WINTHROP! The Big South is notoriously a horrible conference, and still is. However; Winthrop has some real talent (they actually have two players that NBA scouts are looking at highly), and they actually beat Marquette earlier on this year. I think their seeding is much more based on the historic weakness of the big south conference, and not the real strength of their team. Tennessee obviously got a MASSIVE gift getting a 2 seed. So, I really see this game as more of a 12 vs 5 type match up, and NOT a 14 vs 2 (who historically hardly ever win). You can see that to be reflected in the line too (around 8, where most 14 vs 2 match up's are 14+ type lines). It's probably not a real likely straight up upset, but it would not be a complete shocker of one, IMO.

CHALKbreaker

EOG Dedicated
Correction

Correction

Winthrop is a 15 seed, not a 14.

Their match-up with tennessee is more like a 13 vs 4 seed, and not a 15 vs 2. As Winthrop is better than a 15, and Tennessee is worse than a 2, IMO. I got my numbers all messed up as I was typing fast.

not only that i'am a syracuse fan but A&M doesnt play well vs the zone...and thats all they will see....I dont see a&m beating syracuse even though its a good spot

CHALKbreaker

EOG Dedicated
Arena Nut:

West Virginia vs S. Illinois is one of the most intriguing opening round match up's, IMO. It's a classic duel of precision offense (West Virginia) vs hard nosed defense (S illinois). I really look forward to this game. I don't have any real opinion betting wise, but I just think it will be a great game to watch. IF WV can get by the pesky Sulukies (big IF), I would have to agree with you. They will make a run!! They are so experienced, and if they start hitting those 3's, they can take down anyone. Their offense is VERY difficult to prepare for on short rest, which will really help them out. One key non conference game to remember about WV is when they traveled cross country to UCLA, and won. They were actually up 20 at half, and held off a big 2nd half UCLA rally. That game really speaks a lot, as we now see how good UCLA is.

CHALKbreaker

EOG Dedicated
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=7></TD></TR><TR><TD class=yspsctnhdln>Wis. Milwaukee 82, Oklahoma 74 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=7><SPACER type="block" width="1" height="1"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=750 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=560><SCRIPT language=JavaScript> var refreshFlag = false </SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=7></TD></TR><TR><TD class=yspsctnhdln>Texas A&M 66, Syracuse 58 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

TWO DOWN, ONE TO GO, to be live with all three!!:+thumbs-2