IRS may ask PayPal for customers' offshore data

IRS may ask PayPal for customers' offshore data

By Associated Press | April 12, 2006
WASHINGTON -- The Internal Revenue Service won approval from a federal court to ask PayPal to turn over information about people who might be evading taxes by hiding income in other countries, officials said yesterday.
A federal court in San Jose, Calif., gave the IRS permission to ask PayPal Inc. -- a company that enables online money transfers -- for account information for American taxpayers who have bank accounts, credit cards, or debit cards issued by financial institutions in more than 30 countries reputed to be tax havens.

A PayPal spokeswoman, Amanda Pires, said the company just received the summons.
''We're still evaluating our options," she said. ''The privacy of our customers' information is something we take really seriously."
PayPal enables individuals and businesses around the globe to send and receive money online. In 2005, users moved $27.5 billion through the money transmitter. The company, owned by eBay Inc., has 100 million account holders globally.
The request for information is an outgrowth of an IRS effort, begun several years ago, to trace money that American taxpayers hold offshore to avoid taxes.

Sound of Silence said:
Won't be long now... Neteller is going to be a name the IRS knows very well also.

I figure Neteller could be more difficult since it's a Canadian company.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
Other small fry like Pre Paid Atm or Solid Pay could be accidents looking for a place to happen.

The Devil

EOG Master
I beieve Neteller moved out of the US for one reason and one reason only....to get the gambling dollars that pay pal gave away when they were bought by Ebay.....I dont think Neteller will give away any info.....

Not necessarily give away any info, but I think the government is going to have a big red flag on those accounts they see making transactions to and from Neteller. They may not know what is going on with that money offshore, but they'll be able to see it go offshore and come back from offshore -- and out government has never been against making gigantic jumps to conclusions if it serves them.

Zanoback

EOG Member
Reload said:
I figure Neteller could be more difficult since it's a Canadian company.

Canadian or not, still dealing with US Customers.

That's is why some Europeans Books don't want to deal with US Customers.