Reputation and Reputation POWER: The difference...

Hi Guys.

I thought everyone might like to know exactly how this works and what the difference is between the number and the red/green box(es).

YOUR REPUTATION is represented by the GREEN BOXES.

Your REPUTATION ALTERING POWER is represented by the number.

You cannot control your reputation. It is based solely on others' opinions of you.

IF YOUR REPUTATION GOES DOWN (or up) quickly or drastically, it is because someone with ALTERING "POWER" gave you rep.

The settings for gaining rep and rep power have changed and I am listing them for you all to see so that there are no questions about how this works.

Below are the factors.

New users: You have an automatic reputation of 1 when you sign up.

Admins/mods: Automatically given a reputation "power" of 10.

Yes, this is a head start for mods/admins, however there is good reason for that and I believe common sense jusifies this.

With the new settings, anyone can achieve that in a short time anyway.

New settings are going into effect because the current ones have limited the differentiation of users despite the amount of feedback given, simply because the settings were so low. You had to/have to have x amount of posts, time registered, have rep, etc., before your opinions even matter. That's been fixed:

You will see the last 20 ratings given to you in your usercp.

For every 250 days since your registration, 1 point of reputation-altering power is gained.

For every 500 posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

For every 100 points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

You must have a reputation of 2 before your reputation hits count towards others.

A user can give 10 reputation his over each 24 hour period.

You must distribute reputation to 20 different users before you can hit the same person again.

-----------------------------------

Does everyone understand how this works and what means what now?

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions please post them here.

there is no high.

If you are below zero, it doesn't say how low you are, it just says "user is off the scale"

Ohh........................so you are the man behind this rep power stuff.

What other forums you own?, I want to check them out.

shortbus said:
Hi Guys.

I thought everyone might like to know exactly how this works and what the difference is between the number and the red/green box(es).

YOUR REPUTATION is represented by the GREEN BOXES.

Your REPUTATION ALTERING POWER is represented by the number.

You must have a reputation of 2 before your reputation hits count towards others.

You must distribute reputation to 20 different users before you can hit the same person again.

Please clarify...

I recently rep'd Shawn Gotti... However, since I only have 1 green box () -- this means I really couldn't donate my 1 rep "altering" power to Shawn. Therefore, the "Reputation Points Total" displayed within Shawn's User Control Panel did not increase by 1 point...

Is that correct?

That means I must wait until I have at least 2 green boxes () before my altering power can affect anyones Reputation Point Total. Correct?

Your reputation is 65. Your reputation altering poweris one.

This means you have enough rep (65) for your opinions to count, cause you only need two. However your altering power is only one, so while it will count, it won't count for as much as someone with say, a rep altering power of 10.

I believe the green boxes are 50 points each, but I could be wrong.

As you gain reputation, make posts, etc., your altering power will go up.

I hope that helps. If it doesn't, let me know and I'll try and clarify.

sabian06

EOG Dedicated
i just have 1 question shortbus it might be a stupid one but just curious it's on this topic:

(You must distribute reputation to 20 different users before you can hit the same person again.)

is there anyway that we can keep track on user cp of who we gave rep too??? I sometimes wanna give someone rep but can't remember if i have already within the 20.........will it not let you if you try??? just curious:+clueless

mofome

Banned
sabian06 said:
i just have 1 question shortbus it might be a stupid one but just curious it's on this topic:

(You must distribute reputation to 20 different users before you can hit the same person again.)

is there anyway that we can keep track on user cp of who we gave rep too??? I sometimes wanna give someone rep but can't remember if i have already within the 20.........will it not let you if you try??? just curious:+clueless

yeah it will tell u to spread some reputaion around

you can try but it will just give you a message saying you have to give out to 20 others before you can hit them again...I think.

sabian06

EOG Dedicated
thanks shortbus, I just tried it and you are right......I haven't ever ran into that problem yet.....by the way you have rep:cheers

mofome

Banned
shortbus said:
You will see the last 20 ratings given to you in your usercp.

For every 250 days since your registration, 1 point of reputation-altering power is gained.

For every 500 posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

For every 100 points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

ok using myself as the example

over 250 days = 1
each 500 posts = 6

so im getting screwed! I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:+whipping

SB is 10! how did that happen. son of a BEEEEEEEEETCH!

:+wink-2+

lmaoo

maybe im not 250. this is terrible.

ok Sb how are u 30 rep power

shortbus said:
Your reputation is 65. Your reputation altering poweris one.

This means you have enough rep (65) for your opinions to count, cause you only need two. However your altering power is only one, so while it will count, it won't count for as much as someone with say, a rep altering power of 10.

I believe the green boxes are 50 points each, but I could be wrong.

As you gain reputation, make posts, etc., your altering power will go up.

I hope that helps. If it doesn't, let me know and I'll try and clarify.

Thanks.... Your post definitely explains everything now. The last thing that was unclear to me was the relationship between those green boxes and the Rep points displayed in the User CP....

Now everything is clear... :+textinbo :+textinb1

taconite

EOG Addicted
NiteJailer I`m Glad It Got

NiteJailer I`m Glad It Got

clarer 4 U, because either I had an overnight brain infarction or I AM terminaly stupid as my X claims. Run it by me once more how do you enhance your rep. And how much do the green boxes count as they signify your rep, right so far? And the higher let`s you do exactly WHAT? The numbers and explanation given for you don`t seem to correlate. So I have a # of 2 for example and 1 gr box. Do I get more of ea. how? Is it dependent on other posters opinion re. the value of my posts? Geez I`m getting a migrain!

MCP

the only use this system has is to function as a PM service. I cant believe people care about how many boxes they have or how many points they have...

the more posts you have, the longer you've been a member, and the more positive reputation you recieve from others, the higher your REP POWER number will go. That's the number 2 that you see there.

Your reputation points, you can see in your usercp at the top right I believe. That is what makes the green boxes. Reputation given, positively or negatively makes that number go up, and thus the green boxes. Each box is 100. Light Green boxes are 200 I think and show up after 5 dark green boxes.

MCP said:
the only use this system has is to function as a PM service. I cant believe people care about how many boxes they have or how many points they have...

I agree to an extent. You can tell the people who use it to communicate as they have pretty high rep. That's not to say that everone who has high rep doesn't deserve it, or that that's how they got it. You know what I mean.

I'm in favor of PM's for sure.

mofome

Banned
i think at one time you alluded to me not being a bright fellow. i will side step the obvious slights that im dying to make for the better of the forum and my promise to the shrink man. i am now all about the love...until we hit the dump.

so...here ya go.

you get one rep point per 100 "points" you recieve from other posters. the Number you see is the amount you are able to either give to a poster or take away based on the reputation you decide to give out. you can give anyone here 2 point at this time if you deem a post of their worthy of taking that action. For the person you give this reputation to, it will put them two points nearer to the 100 required to elevate their own giving power. in other words, you recieve 100 points from other posters and in turn you are aggrandized 1 point of giving power yourself. upon reaching this cachet you will then be able to give out or deduct 3 points from a poster of you choice and will be merited a 3rd green box.
so, to get another green box you have to Recieve 100 points from your fellow posters. The more you recieve, the greater your power becomes to give.

other ways to rep points are:
-500 posts and each 500 after that. I recieve 3 extra points daily on this requirement alone.
-every 250 days you are a member of EOG.com you will be rewarded another rep point.

each 100 you recieve from here on out will result in one rep point and a green box. Most people here tend to use the rep feature as a means of PMing.

hope this helps a little...

taconite

EOG Addicted
mofo You`re Certainly Mensa Qualified

mofo You`re Certainly Mensa Qualified

Have you ever stopped to wonder why you have such an amazing # of posts? You don`t suppose that others have a life do you? Some read, golf, play w/their kids, fish etc. you know those things we call passtimes or hobbies. Try some because there is life after the Net & EOG. But I do thank you for your explanation, saves me from reading all those tiresome posts. Plus now I know I really don`t give a shit. What a waste of time, which come to think of it this whole discourse turned out to be. Peace!