OMFG, I'VE BEEN A VICTIM OF FRAUD!!!

I went to get some gas and my debit card didn't work at the pump. So I get home and check my account online. I see 6 withdrawls from a ATM with a funny name under it. So I call my bank to see whats up. They had already blocked my ATM card, The cust rep on the phone asked me if I have been to Russia recentky. I say no, and the guy tells me someone has made some ATM withdrawls from a Moscow ATM. The w/d's were 36.24, 36.24, 36.24, 36.34, 182.97, and 582.27. All on the same day. The bank has already given me provisional credit for the money and are sending me a affadavit to sign. All of these transactions happened on 4/18. I'd check your accounts guys and make sure everything is OK.

The Devil

EOG Master
Most people don't realize that all countries, not only the US are corrupt.....Many Europeans that work in restaurants, gas stations or stores with credit cards have relatives in their mother country.....It is very easy to get your card number and ship it overseas.....done hundreds of times a day....

ChrisGo,

Isn't it ironic that the Devil just returned from MOSCOW yesterday???...:+clueless

Seriously,

I am sorry to hear about this but glad the bank did the right thing by refunded you your money...

It sux being victimized...

THE SHRINK

roach23

Banned
How does someone take money out of an ATM without your actual card? Even if you did have the number...don't you need the card to take out the cash? Or were these debit card purchases for merchanidse bought over the internet or something?

The Devil

EOG Master
They make copies of the actual card.....there is a big market for card blanks...........as soon as a bank makes a better credit card....the thieves find a way to beat it.....

as long as they let you use a card or numbers for that matter without a ID, this shit will be a problem for a long time to come.

GL and God Bless

roach23

Banned
UWinSports said:
as long as they let you use a card or numbers for that matter without a ID, this shit will be a problem for a long time to come.

GL and God Bless

Remember when they came out with those visa cards with your pic on the front of it? those were short lived. Cause over half of credit users don't actually want that card...those scumbag banks just keep sending the cards so they'll use it and charge up debt.

Bucsfan67

EOG Master
a better question would be how do u take .24 out of an atm?

almost had to be purchases over the phone, or net......

roach23

Banned
Bucsfan67 said:
a better question would be how do u take .24 out of an atm?

almost had to be purchases over the phone, or net......

I assume the change is due to exchange rate conversions

While many people fear credit/debit card info being stolen over the net, it's often a low tech method where people are duped. Give your credit card to a waiter/waitress and they disappear with it. How do you know they aren't using a "card reader" to swipe your account information. With that they can then take stolen blank credit cards, install your information and steal your money. Foretunately the banks and credit card companies realized all the ways you can be defrauded. That's why they use complex software to track unusual purchases and the cardholder is liable for only a small amount of the fraudulent use.

Yep, It sucks, I feel so violated. But in this day and age it comes with the territory I guess. My wife is totally freaked out about it.

Zanoback

EOG Member
The Devil said:
Most people don't realize that all countries, not only the US are corrupt.....Many Europeans that work in restaurants, gas stations or stores with credit cards have relatives in their mother country.....It is very easy to get your card number and ship it overseas.....done hundreds of times a day....

Agree, I had a problem with a car rental company in France a few years back. The clerk decided to use my car rental agreement / credit card to extend the rental for a friend.

The Devil

EOG Master
Had a similar incident in Margarita......Rented a car a few hours later went to the big grocery store.......handed the clerk my card and was declined.......it was a debit card with about 8,000 on it......found out a few minutes later I had purchased about 6 first class tickets to Lisbon........

Was lucky got it all back.......