A question about air travel

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I'm a value guy.

Always have been, always will be.

Whether it was the old PSA or Southwest Airlines or now Spirit or JetBlue or Frontier, I like to seek the lowest-priced airfare in the market.

EOG contributor ChiTownJoe turned me on to a travel website titled CheapOAir.com.

I've found some real bargains there.

Should I consider changing my style and start flying first class?

Is it worth the price to fly in comfort as opposed to getting crammed in coach with the hoi polloi?

Last edited:

blueline

EOG Master
International yes....I had status for a number of years and batted over 90% on upgrades....nice perk...worth paying for it domestically...no

ChiTownJoe

EOG Dedicated
I'm a value guy.

Whether it was the old PSA or Southwest Airlines or now Spirit or JetBlue or Frontier, I like to seek the lowest-priced airfare in the market.

EOG contributor ChiTownJoe turned me on to a travel website titled CheapOAir.com.

Is it worth the price to fly in comfort as opposed to getting crammed in coach with the hoi polloi?

I'm a skiplagged guy, I'd rather spend the extra hundred bucks and avoid the Allegiant Air/Spirit flights. Skiplagged will find you cheapest way around.

Only time I've been in first class is with frequent flyer upgrades. I couldn't eat/drink enough to make it worthwhile, although it is nice when you are getting on early, get a hot wash cloth, and a nice alcoholic beverage to start your flight. Flight always seems to go faster when the drinks keep coming.

99% of my flights are with the hoi polloi

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Railbird scammed the airlines during the late 80s and early 90s....ask him about Southwest Airlines and how he got free flights....

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I do use allegant when I fly to Vegas, mainly because it’s much easier going to south bend than Chicago, and the parking is $30 for the weekend.

MrTop

EOG Master
Note : JK when you fly 1st class your bags are free and you board earlier . The seats are much better of course. The food is overrated go to a diner or eat at home for the better meal. Forget airport food a total ripoff. One time I flew on first class from vegas I asked for a coke ..I got one but it was flat. I did not complain.

sad.

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!
My son is an aviation mechanic. Guess what area these discount airlines skimp on heavily to save costs. He’s on my ass anytime I tell him I’m crawling onto a Frontier or Alleigent flight. But I love action, so let’s roll them dice and get the old bird airborne

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
My son is an aviation mechanic. Guess what area these discount airlines skimp on heavily to save costs. He’s on my ass anytime I tell him I’m crawling onto a Frontier or Alleigent flight. But I love action, so let’s roll them dice and get the old bird airborne
There was a feature on 60 min about allegiance and them skimping on things. What do you do when the big boys don’t want to service your area though?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Uh oh.

Clean up in the center aisle.

DrunkenGoon

EOG Dedicated
Note : JK when you fly 1st class your bags are free and you board earlier . The seats are much better of course. The food is overrated go to a diner or eat at home for the better meal. Forget airport food a total ripoff. One time I flew on first class from vegas I asked for a coke ..I got one but it was flat. I did not complain.

sad.

If you really want to piss off your flight attendant, ask for a diet coke... Because of it's fizzyness, it takes the longest to pour and it's the most likely drink to blow out of the can when they open it. Be ready for some nasty treatment though for the rest of your flight....

If you're gonna encounter jet lag like going to Europe or Asia, I think it's best to get the cheapest ticket and use the price difference for a great meal on arrival and to get yourself early check in wherever you're going, you will bounce back better than if you had a less shittier sleep on the flight and still had to deal with the unavoidable jet lag.

Valuist

EOG Master
On planes, the water tanks used to store water are not always clean and can be loaded with bacteria. I've even heard you should never wash your hands in a plane washroom because of too much bacteria in the water.

These airlines like Spirit resort to all kinds of tricks to add on charges. Charging for one carry on?

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
For me it depends. If I am flying to Vegas - not worth it for the 60-ish minute flight. Same to the Bay Area. If I was flying from John Wayne/LAX to the Least Coast I might consider it

mr merlin

EOG Master
I might pay a few bucks to fly first class on a long route, a $100 tops perhaps, of course 1st class costs a lot more than that unless if you're getting some cheap upgrade.

So no john, stick with cheapo air, by the way I've used them before,but the truth is they do not have better prices than you can find elsewhere, it's just that going there saves you the time of researching all the others.

kane

EOG master
I'm a value guy.

I'll be adding "hoi polloi" to my EOG glossary

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I'd sooner invest $500 in a Pick 6 pool on a mandatory payout day than upgrade to first class.

Heading to Panama City in early January to check out Roberto Duran's restaurant and bar.

I'll fly coach aboard Copa Airlines.

blueline

EOG Master
I'd sooner invest $500 in a Pick 6 pool on a mandatory payout day than upgrade to first class.

Heading to Panama City in early January to check out Roberto Duran's restaurant and bar.

I'll fly coach aboard Copa Airlines.
I feel that way about food