2018-2019 MLB Hot Stove thread

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
And so it begins...

Paxton to the Yankees for their top prospect (Sheffield) and 2 other minor leaguers.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Seattle traded a 30-year-old lefty in Paxton for a 22-year-old lefty in Sheffield.

The two other prospects: Dom Thompson-Williams and Erik Swanson.

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
Can anyone explain to me the logic behind CJ Cron being DFA’ed in Tampa?

Guy had a career year in a tough ballpark.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
The Jim Hickey (cubs pitching coach) departure is curious.it doesn’t help the job status of Joe Madden, who is entering his final year of his contract.

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated
Yankees were afraid to bring up Sheffield most of last year, lest he be exposed as not too good. Deal will ride on Paxton staying healthy. May turn out to be much ado about nothing.

kane

EOG master
Josh Donaldson has agreed to a 1 year deal with Atlanta, assuming he's healthy a nice signing for the Braves

Heim

EOG Master
I can't say Garrett Richards leaving for the Padres was a complete shock. 2 years 15 million for a guy who won't be available until 2020. Padres are hoping he comes back
Eovaldi like but I doubt it.

kane

EOG master
The Phillies have acquired shortstop Jean Segura from the Mariners in exchange for Carlos Santana and JP Crawford. I guess this means they won't be signing Machado

Valuist

EOG Master
I understand the Mariners wanting to unload Cano's contract, but they do have to take back Jay Bruce. But to add Edwin Diaz into that deal? Isn't the idea to keep really good players who are young with low salaries? 24 years old, sub 2 ERA, 0.79 WHIP, 57 saves all at a $500k salary. WTF are they thinking?

kane

EOG master
I understand the Mariners wanting to unload Cano's contract, but they do have to take back Jay Bruce. But to add Edwin Diaz into that deal? Isn't the idea to keep really good players who are young with low salaries? 24 years old, sub 2 ERA, 0.79 WHIP, 57 saves all at a $500k salary. WTF are they thinking?

It looks like Seattle is in rebuild mode, if Bruce is having a good year they can always flip him at the deadline, and I agree with you about Diaz, the kid is the real deal, but if you're thinking about the future, maybe you don't really need a top closer right now

Valuist

EOG Master
It looks like Seattle is in rebuild mode, if Bruce is having a good year they can always flip him at the deadline, and I agree with you about Diaz, the kid is the real deal, but if you're thinking about the future, maybe you don't really need a top closer right now

But a guy like Diaz should be worth more in return. For instance, the Cubs gave up Gleybar Torres for 3 months of Chapman. Diaz could definitely be close to that level.

Heim

EOG Master
The winter meeting broadcast from Mandalay on MLB Net is very entertaining. They had Carrot Top on yesterday...hilarious. Plus the idiot who does the morning Intentional Talk show got into it with LaRussa re Baines induction into the Hall out by the pool. Lastly, here's hoping Halo acquisition of Bour means the end of Pujols. They can DFA him.

kane

EOG master
Anibal Sanchez signs with Washington 2 years 19M

Daniel Murphy signs with Colorado 2 years 24M

Andrew Miller signs with St Louis 2 years 25M

Heim

EOG Master
"Andrew Miller signs with St Louis 2 years 25M"

So the Halos give Harvey 11 and Cahill 9 per year.....the guy they really needed they couldn't afford. The first four starters look
like a imminent 60 day DL list.

kane

EOG master
Nelson Cruz to the Twins on a 1 year deal, boy the M's will sure look different next year

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
Jed Lowrie to the Mets. 2 years, $20M.

Not sure I understand the reasons behind then all, but the Mets are definite movers this offseason.