Minnesota Fats vs Willie Mosconi - Legendary Match

Bushay

NHL Expert
Video quality not the best but it doesn't matter. Minnesota Fats was one of a kind. Anyone ever watch him live. In person? What a character.

Bushay

NHL Expert
This was my game back in the day. Was only a few who could beat me and my back end partner. Wasn't as good as these guys though.

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry
my Grampa played pool against MN fats. Granted most every kid in Minnesota was told that about their Grampa growing up but this one trure.

Im not however a cousin of Prince like most people in MN will claim!

Bushay

NHL Expert
my Grampa played pool against MN fats. Granted most every kid in Minnesota was told that about their Grampa growing up but this one trure.

Im not however a cousin of Prince like most people in MN will claim!
I can remember when I was a kid, my brother, and dad, going to see one or both these guys at a pool hall. Would have loved to witness these guys myself. The Hustler prolly my favorite movie of all time.

SlipperyPete

EOG Dedicated
"my Grampa played pool against MN fats. Granted most every kid in Minnesota was told that about their Grampa growing up but this one trure.

Im not however a cousin of Prince like most people in MN will claim! "

I cant say for a fact that it didnt happen.... however Minnesota Fats was from New York .

He actually changed his nick name from New York Fats to Minnesota Fats when the movie Hustler came out.

True story....not making it up.

And just to blow non-pool players mind...he wasnt as good as he said he was. He was definitely good but a top pro would mop the floor with him.
He , however, was one of the greatest talkers of all time

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Minnesota Fats was fake news?

Kind of like Jimmy the Greek?

And some of those poker pros at the World Series of Poker who defeated fields of 15 or 20 players.

SlipperyPete

EOG Dedicated
Minnesota Fats was fake news?

Kind of like Jimmy the Greek?

And some of those poker pros at the World Series of Poker who defeated fields of 15 or 20 players.

Basically, he is like the Donald Trump of pool players. All about self promotion.

Sure Trump is rich, however not as rich as he says he is.

Same with Fatty. A good player for sure, but was about 1/5th as good as he said he was.

Pre-internet days he could way inflate his ability without scrutiny

SlipperyPete

EOG Dedicated
Any of you guys gonna watch the Mosconi cup this year?? It starts tomorrow!!!!

As it has been the case for the last 5 years or so Europe has way more talent, but a few of their guys are very young, the pressure might get to them.

That is why I would play Shane as much as possible in the early going(he has been hot lately) and he would have to produce.

He will live up to his talent level eventually, right?

I think Europe will take it, but this one will be close

Bushay

NHL Expert
Any of you guys gonna watch the Mosconi cup this year?? It starts tomorrow!!!!

As it has been the case for the last 5 years or so Europe has way more talent, but a few of their guys are very young, the pressure might get to them.

That is why I would play Shane as much as possible in the early going(he has been hot lately) and he would have to produce.

He will live up to his talent level eventually, right?

I think Europe will take it, but this one will be close
Thanks for sharing this Pete. I’m going to try and check it out on my firestick and NitroTv. Starts at 6:30 it says. I’m assuming that’s est. Sky Sports as well as a bunch of others. Been watching some cool pool videos on YouTube since posting this. Might even pull the cover off my table and see if I still got it anymore. That cover hasn’t been off in at least 5 years.

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry
Thanks for sharing this Pete. I’m going to try and check it out on my firestick and NitroTv. Starts at 6:30 it says. I’m assuming that’s est. Sky Sports as well as a bunch of others. Been watching some cool pool videos on YouTube since posting this. Might even pull the cover off my table and see if I still got it anymore. That cover hasn’t been off in at least 5 years.

6:30 AM eastern tomorrow Bushay? u think one of he sky stations will show live? ill try to look into that.

SlipperyPete

EOG Dedicated

Whoever is interested just type in Mosconi Cup 2018 (or earlier years) in the search box on Youtube

Even if you cant watch it live, Youtube usually has the matches later in the same day

SlipperyPete

EOG Dedicated
. Might even pull the cover off my table and see if I still got it anymore. That cover hasn’t been off in at least 5 years.

Life is so not fair. If I had a table I would never leave my APARTMENT.

But the people that actually have a table, never seem to play on it

(however I am good friends with a pool hall owner and do get to play for free)

Bushay

NHL Expert
Nice table, Bushay?

I grew up with a cheapie in our basement.
Nice enough. Just a 7 foot 2 slab slate you need a 2-3 man crew to remove it from my basement properly without screwing it up. I put it on FB Marketplace and Craigslist a couple times over the years just looking to get a couple hundred for it but no one will remove it for under $250-300 so essentially no one's paying me $500 for it so it continues to sit downstairs as a storage area much like many use their treadmill for. :)

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry
Live Pool - Mosconi Cup
Sky Sports Main Event (18:30), Sky Sports Action (18:30), Sky Sports Mix (18:30)

SlipperyPete

EOG Dedicated
10-9 US

Shane van Boening is up!

If he loses this one, he will never live this one down! (especially if Europe completes the comeback)