Dwayne Haskins...

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Strange second half for Ohio State in the Rose Bowl.

Only gained 15 yards in the fourth quarter after putting up 272 yards in the first half.

railbird

EOG Master
Strange second half for Ohio State in the Rose Bowl.

Only gained 15 yards in the fourth quarter after putting up 272 yards in the first half.

Haven't seen a team cover both halfs of a Rose Bowl very often in my life.

Last edited by a moderator:

Polar

EOG Member
If he is any good it would be a first...Ohio State isn't exactly Quarterback U.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Remember Art Schlichter?

I grew up with the player who served as Schlichter's back-up, Mike Tomczak.

A Polish kid from Calumet City, Illinois.

Tomczak played about 15 seasons in the NFL and started his career 10-0 with the Bears.

Valuist

EOG Master
Remember Art Schlichter?

I grew up with the player who served as Schlichter's back-up, Mike Tomczak.

A Polish kid from Calumet City, Illinois.

Tomczak played about 15 seasons in the NFL and started his career 10-0 with the Bears.

How about ole Art as a guest if/when the EOG podcast returns?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Doubt he can make media appearances from federal prison.

He's halfway through an 11-year sentence for fraud and forgery.

Not good.

Schlichter is now 57 years old.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I remember when Art came to Las Vegas.

He hosted a sports talk show on KVEG and he would ask listeners to "light up the phones" after barking out the phone number as if he were still under center at Ohio State.

He started slow with the area code (702), then sped up with the prefix (262) and ended with the final four numbers in two parts (58) followed by a quarterback's pause and then punched the final part (34).

Funny guy but sick as it gets.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
Wonder how good a straight Schlichter could have been in the pros or maybe Tomczak had more pro talent?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Sclichter was far more talented than Tomczak.

Not saying the NFL Draft is the end-all be-all, but Schlichter was the fourth overall pick in the 1982 draft while Tomczak went undrafted in 1985.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
It is kind of amazing how much talent an elite program accumulates. Just because Tua is better does not mean Jalen Hurts is chopped liver, etc. I did get to see Schichter play the Gophers once at the old stadium. Not sure the 3 yards and a cloud of dust tactics fully prepared him for the pros? But, on the subject - how much blame falls on the locals who preyed on Schichter’s addiction? Maybe, someone here has read Busted?

Don Eagleston

EOG Addicted
Schichter was a good college qb but nothing special. Saw his first game vs. Penn State and there were turnovers galore. Art would have been at best an average nfl qb.

Heim

EOG Master
It's well known that team owner Snyder wanted him....I read today his kids went to high school with him and pushed daddy to draft him. No. 1 pick now 4th string.

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated
All Haskins needs is to put on weight & he will be the identical equivalent of Jamarcus Russell.

Certified bust.

Out of the 32 starting QB's,... Haskins is ranked dead last. He contributes -12.1 pts/game compared to an average QB.

Mullens, Driskel, Darnold,...to name a few, all ranked ahead of him.

Easy decision for Rivera.

Last edited:
Hard to believe, but can't argue with the evidence. What I saw at OSU against some really elite level pass defenses (for NCAA) was a guy who should be a dependable NFL starter. Not sure how much I put it on him and how much I put it on the piss poor Washington Not Really A Football Team organization.

SlipperyPete

EOG Dedicated
Hard to believe, but can't argue with the evidence. What I saw at OSU against some really elite level pass defenses (for NCAA) was a guy who should be a dependable NFL starter. Not sure how much I put it on him and how much I put it on the piss poor Washington Not Really A Football Team organization.

Disagree quite a bit.

He wasnt very good. He was actually encouraged by the coaching staff to run more, to be more effective.

At Ohio State with all that talent, a slow QB was asked to run more, was THE red flag for me

Disagree quite a bit.

He wasnt very good. He was actually encouraged by the coaching staff to run more, to be more effective.

At Ohio State with all that talent, a slow QB was asked to run more, was THE red flag for me

Why would you ask him to run more? Kid has accuracy many players will never have, you can't teach that. He has zero confidence right now because he is on his ass every other play. Can blame him for not being mobile or quite pocket aware yet, but put him behind a decent line and I think you get a productive QB. That is what I saw at OSU. He may never get that good a situation again but I don't believe he has nothing to offer

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
He did not deserve to be benched at this time, Had a pretty decent game against the best D in the league in the Ravens.
Rivera took Allen and the OC to Washington, so he has the guy he’s comfortable with. The shame for Washington is it’s a wasted 1st rounder.

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
Which was odd that he took him to Wash.
This whole decisions stinks. It's because of how weak the NFC East has come up, and Rivera thinks he can win it with his D, and a QB that doesn't F up. Unfortunately that's NOT Kyle Allen. It could be Alex if he's healthy. But Haskins had his best game of the year, against the best D he'll see, last game against Baltimore, after Rivera challenged him. Unless there's some off field problem with Haskins, this decision is asinine. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HaskDw00.htm
If Rivera wanted to go with his guy, he should have started the season with him.