Will Kyler Murray choose baseball over football?

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
I think he will....more money down the road and less fear of concussions or a major injury.....but I do think he would do well in the NFL.....

Heim

EOG Master
I thought mlb was a no brainer however Kingsbury said last year if he had a choice he would take Murray No. 1. Now he's coach
with numero uno. Lets see what he does. I'm sure he wants to try his spread offense in the NFL and Rosen is not the guy.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The recent wussifIcation of pro football allows Murray's style a better chance in the NFL than 10-15 years ago when it was open season on quarterbacks.

Sleepy

EOG Master
#1 overall draft pick and millions of dollars or several years of A ball and shit money

lol at anyone thinking he is going to play baseball

Heim

EOG Master
The recent wussifIcation of pro football allows Murray's style a better chance in the NFL than 10-15 years ago when it was open season on quarterbacks.

Very true however I think you were right on weeks ago Murray is closer to 5' 8" than his listed 5' 11". Could be a problem.

Murray has been flying on chartered jets-staying in 5 star hotels and had a gourmet chef cooking his meals in college

Now he's looking at 3-4 years of riding buses-staying in shit hole hotels-non existent food spread in the minors.

I think baseball might be best long term but I doubt he's ready for the culture shock in lifestyle to be a minor leaguer.

Sol Diablo

House of Heat
If he’s projected to be a first round pick, which I hear is the case, I believe that’s at least 10 million guaranteed in the NFL.

Vs the 5 million for baseball?

If he loves football more than baseball, then it’s a no brainer for him.

Is it possible he would be Billy Hamilton 2.0? I think there is a reasonable chance of that

If you believe in scouting reports (and I do believe in quite a few of the national analysts) Murray is nothing like Hamilton as far as tools. Hamilton has great speed and a great glove and that's where his tools end. BH has 20 grade power and a very weak hit tool. Murray has not only amazing speed but a rocket arm to take with his CF range. What separates Murray as a prospect is he has very good raw power. Murray is considered to be a legitimate 5 tool player.

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
He'd be foolish to not try the NFL if he's a first round choice. If he's the 2nd QB drafted, and in the top 10, that's gonna be close to 20 million guaranteed. I think he's got a good shot to be Flutie Part deux, and in today's NFL, that can be pretty successful. If the A's allow it, it would be cool to let him try both, but NFL should be the priority.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Talk about having the World of Sports by the balls....

Instant fame by selecting Football....

Would like to see him play both....

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
The A's would be insane to offer him 15 Million. He's a minimum of 3 years away from MLB, IF he even proves ne can play MLB. For a Moneyball team that is generally smart with their $$$, this would be incredibly dumb.

Heim

EOG Master
You would think GMs learned their lesson with Vince Young....and he was 6' 5" and Murray is no Young. Really surprised he's projected first round.

Good choice by Kyler!

Viejo wrong again, it is alright.
Many of the old timers dont understand football is way more relevant than baseball.

Murray is really only 5-8 and not very broad. Yeah he moved the ball this year but they don't play D in the Big 12. He is going to get killed in the NFL

Valuist

EOG Master
The A's would be insane to offer him 15 Million. He's a minimum of 3 years away from MLB, IF he even proves ne can play MLB. For a Moneyball team that is generally smart with their $$$, this would be incredibly dumb.

Agreed and Beane won't offer him $15 million. I'd call his bluff. He's not NFL first round material.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
5' 8"? No way is he going to have much of an NFL career, and that's IF he can stay healthy.

For every Brees there is a 1000 others that size who couldn't make it...... and Brees is a few inches taller.

Just being able to see over the OL/DL is going to be next to impossible for this kid.

I hope my team doesn't invest in this kid, his future is the MLB if he has one in sports.

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
Who is the last QB officially listed under 6" to be drafted in the 1st round, and what year? I was astounded at the answer.

Last edited:

Heim

EOG Master
Does anyone remember Redskins qb Jay Schroeder? He was the 3rd pick overall in the mlb '79 draft. Can't miss catching
prospect and playing a position you move up fast. Lasted 4 years with a minor league average .213. NFL next stop. The
moral of the story.....you need a lot of luck in mlb. Where you play is also a factor. I'd take the money and run from NFL.
He can always try mlb later.

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
Here's some Intel on who might draft Murray. Coughlin was Flutie's QB Coach at BC. Jax has the #7 pick in this draft and needs a QB. I currently see them as +350 to draft him at BetOnline, 2nd choice behind Oakland at +325