The saga of Kareem Hunt and American public justice

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
Cleveland Browns have signed Kareem Hunt. The irony in this is quite remarkable but I pose one legitimate question now and one at the end.

What if the Chiefs had Hunt for the AFC championship game against the Patriots?

When the public were crying more than people watching the Titanic sink the Chiefs did the right thing in cutting Hunt. Even though technically the Chiefs could have kept Hunt and suspended him the public outrage was too much to bear at the specific time so in a way they had to cut him but in doing the right thing they probably fucked themselves out of a Super Bowl appearance or even win. We will never know if Hunt would have given the Chiefs some extra firepower to get past the Patriots but we do know there are double standards in place when it comes to teams, players and their legal issues. The entire system is flawed but it will always be until somebody somewhere delivers lifetime bans for very bad illegal behavior.

How come the Chiefs get punished for doing the right thing under heavy scrutiny and a team like the Browns get rewarded basically risk free with the chance to win their division and many playoff appearances for many years to come if Hunt returns to his previous form in football under the guise of second chances?

Double standard is real and the main losers in all of this is the victim in the case and the Chiefs.

I

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Cleveland GM John Dorsey says Kareem Hunt will be on a zero-tolerance policy.

Remember it was Dorsey as the Kansas City GM who drafted Hunt in the third round of the 2017 NFL Draft.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
In answer to your first question I have no doubt in my mind that they would have beaten the Patriots and gone to the Super Bowl. Hunt's teammates, fans, coaches got punished way more than he did! I am not as positive they would have beaten the Rams.

I am not sure it was the right thing. This person was determined to be guilty until proven innocent. How can someone who was not even arrested for the incident be given the death sentence for his football career?

Some of the culpability lies with the ineptness of the league and teams for not learning of the incident much faster. Isn't there a way to constantly search social security numbers thru a data base down to as little as a speeding ticket anywhere in the USA?

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
The number of games he played next year is what is on question.

This is a solid play. You have nick chubb as plan a.

Then there is the question of how much time does he get punished for? I think he served his penalty.

Time to move on.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
One thing that has to be a concern is he’s had a couple of incidents with bar fights. He is coming home to play, will he be at the bar with his boys?

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
The thing is the methodology of the NFL with this style of player punishment is not effective and too subjective. There could be 100 other incidents involving players that went unreported or undiscovered. The NFL realizes drugs are addictive and alcoholism is an illness. So, they have some programs where players enter treatment programs voluntarily.

Hello, anger is an addiction - an illness and the game of football is the cocaine. The punishment technique is not an effective deterrent to an anger emotion addict. There are probably 100’s of NFL players constantly on the edge of anger explosion on the football field where the emotion is more or less ok.

I have often wondered how soldiers could come home from war where the were snipers / attack infantrymen etc., and just close the door and exist in society as if nothing had happened?

bomzee

EOG Dedicated
The number of felons who play in the NFL or have played in the NFL is and has been extremely high. I remember reading a disturbing book - I can't remember the name-quite a long while ago
( about -20 years ago ?) discussing just how many different NFL players wound up in prison or were in prison for extremely serious crimes. Unfortunately one after another after another.
How teams deal with situations can and is very delicate. The Chiefs were certainly in a no win situation.
I personally am not a fan of Roger Goodell - who runs the show- at all.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
That was my point basically. Chiefs had no other choice really.

But now the Browns can take over for many years to come if Hunt returns to form. Remember, he’s fantastic at catching balls out of the backfield as well. Cleveland is coming. Mayfield will always have a chip on his shoulder.

But it’s not right some team can start over with one of the best running backs in the NFL and his former team is left holding a bag of dicks. Couldn’t get anything for him not even a dick.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
That was my point basically. Chiefs had no other choice really.

But now the Browns can take over for many years to come if Hunt returns to form. Remember, he’s fantastic at catching balls out of the backfield as well. Cleveland is coming. Mayfield will always have a chip on his shoulder.

But it’s not right some team can start over with one of the best running backs in the NFL and his former team is left holding a bag of dicks. Couldn’t get anything for him not even a dick.
The player who really has the baggage on KC is Hill. What if he gets in a off-the-field altercation?

Valuist

EOG Master
One thing that has to be a concern is he’s had a couple of incidents with bar fights. He is coming home to play, will he be at the bar with his boys?

Yes and this has somehow got overlooked. Maybe because TMZ didn't have footage of the other incidents. His dad got arrested the other day for selling crack.

And just wait; the Browns will be incredulous when there's backlash.

mr merlin

EOG Master
If anyone really cared about public justice, they would allow him to be tried in a court of law, because we all know the court of public opinion is a place where "justice" will never be found.

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
Cleveland Browns have signed Kareem Hunt. The irony in this is quite remarkable but I pose one legitimate question now and one at the end.

What if the Chiefs had Hunt for the AFC championship game against the Patriots?

When the public were crying more than people watching the Titanic sink the Chiefs did the right thing in cutting Hunt. Even though technically the Chiefs could have kept Hunt and suspended him the public outrage was too much to bear at the specific time so in a way they had to cut him but in doing the right thing they probably fucked themselves out of a Super Bowl appearance or even win. We will never know if Hunt would have given the Chiefs some extra firepower to get past the Patriots but we do know there are double standards in place when it comes to teams, players and their legal issues. The entire system is flawed but it will always be until somebody somewhere delivers lifetime bans for very bad illegal behavior.

How come the Chiefs get punished for doing the right thing under heavy scrutiny and a team like the Browns get rewarded basically risk free with the chance to win their division and many playoff appearances for many years to come if Hunt returns to his previous form in football under the guise of second chances?

Double standard is real and the main losers in all of this is the victim in the case and the Chiefs.

I
They never should have cut Hunt. An indefinite suspension until all punishment was doled out would have been the proper move. He would not have played anymore this season, so the Patriot question is moot, but at least they'd still have him after all was said and done. As a Chief fan, I was pissed as hell that they released him.