An error at Gulfstream Park

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The placing judge posted the wrong horse finishing fourth in yesterday's sixth race at Gulfstream Park.

The sixth race was made official with #2 Tamit as the fourth-place finisher.

However, #1 Kailee actually finished fourth.

Gulfstream Park officials corrected the error after several minutes of paying out the wrong superfecta combination.

There was more than $72,000 in the superfecta pool.

Whoops!

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
In this day and age, I would think they would have the technology in place to separate all horses and eliminate dead heats?

ChiTownJoe

EOG Dedicated
I've watched the Hong Kong & Japan races and the photo finishes are posted almost immediately.

It is unbelievable to watch US races sometimes take 4-5 min to decide a photo. Plus, 95% of them I can call watching live or with 1 replay

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The photo finishes take too long and I'd like to see a five-minute cap on all stewards' decisions too.

Forcing horseplayers to stare at blinking lights for 10-15 minutes is cruel and unusual punishment.

Here's an idea: Announce to the crowd and post on the simulcast television feed that a ruling will be delivered at a specific time.

Then we can all give the racetrack our undivided attention to hear the decision at a quarter-past the hour or half-past the hour.

BenoitPaire2

EOG Veteran
Caused a big problem with my TVG account. Had a big win on the 6/4 exacta (which was split in half due to the damn dead heat)

I go to bet a horse I loved at Tampa (the 10 horse jnthe 5th) alongg with a 10/2,6 exacta for $50.

I go to put the bet in.. and it doesn’t say it didn’t go through, but also didn’t say it got denied.

Find it after the 10/2 exacta came in that the bet didn’t go through due to the repricing of the gulfstream race. Gp took the money back and then credited it again later

Passed off, but TVG said there’s nothing they can do

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry
those DOG racing photos are up in a minute or two , and there are lots of close calls in the dogs. its does not take long periods of time.

but USA prices are like light years ahead of international prices going up for horses, which take 10 + everytime . even with a normal race!

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Caused a big problem with my TVG account. Had a big win on the 6/4 exacta (which was split in half due to the damn dead heat)

I go to bet a horse I loved at Tampa (the 10 horse jnthe 5th) alongg with a 10/2,6 exacta for $50.

I go to put the bet in.. and it doesn’t say it didn’t go through, but also didn’t say it got denied.

Find it after the 10/2 exacta came in that the bet didn’t go through due to the repricing of the gulfstream race. Gp took the money back and then credited it again later

Passed off, but TVG said there’s nothing they can do

Sickening.

Valuist

EOG Master
those DOG racing photos are up in a minute or two , and there are lots of close calls in the dogs. its does not take long periods of time.

but USA prices are like light years ahead of international prices going up for horses, which take 10 + everytime . even with a normal race!

This is true. Watch a race from Europe or Dubai, with no foul claims or inquiries and it can be 15 minutes before posting of prices

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry
really? thats going to trick some people who think youstill have all day for that rainbow pick 6 etc etc at 0 min to post you can just start opening up the form....

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
apparently the drag thing was Tim Ritvo's idea

Interesting.

I think the trick helps short-term handle but the strategy may upset some horseplayers in the end.

To me post time is post time.

You can set your watch to some racetrack's post times and I appreciate prompt schedules.

Most everything NYRA does in terms of simulcast presentation is excellent.

blueline

EOG Master
GP is loading when theyre supposed to today....amazing concept
I still would expect drag on big carryover situations

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
At Caliente racetrack in Tijuana, Mexico, they started a wager called the "5-10" in 1956.

This wager was a precursor to southern California's popular Pick 6 action.

The innovation at the tiny track in Tijuana served as a magnet for serious horseplayers from SoCal.

Pick the winners of races 5 through 10 and win a share of the jackpot south of the border.

On big carryover days, when racetrack management wanted to squeeze every dollar from the crowd, they delayed post time for the fifth race.

Horses would dance around the track and behind the starting gate before the start of the fifth race.

This practice was dubbed "The Tijuana Shuffle."

Clever, very clever.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
One short-lived practice at the old Caliente racetrack involving the "5-10" was the announcement and presentation of the jackpot winners.

If a horseplayer won a significant amount of money, his name was announced to the crowd and he climbed a high stand or tower to be recognized.

After one of the winners was robbed in the parking lot, this form of promotion was quickly aborted.

1607192887433.png

BenoitPaire2

EOG Veteran
GP is loading when theyre supposed to today....amazing concept
I still would expect drag on big carryover situations

hmmm. Maybe I’ll start playing it again. The 10 min drag time was always infuriating to me. Not sure why, but it was fuckin annoying and made me not wanna play there

BenoitPaire2

EOG Veteran
After losing all year big time (worst year by far.. def down 5+ figures).. hit a $2500 super at fairgrounds, hit the late pick 4 at los al for $1600 and hit the p5 at mountaineer 4x for about $2500.

should just quit for a month so I don’t give it all back.

Last edited by a moderator: