The bad beat bin

railbird

EOG Master
MLB Baseball / Game Baltimore Orioles vs Colorado RockiesSelection:
Baltimore Orioles 5/26/2019 3:10:01 PM - (EST)
+272Pitchers:DAVID HESS-R - Action GERMAN MARQUEZ-R - Action

kane

EOG master
I had the Mets TT Over 3.5 last night, they're winning 4-2 in the 9th inning, the Cards score two in the 9th to tie it, then the rains came and the game got suspended, my bet goes as no action, while I didn't lose, it's still a bad beat

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I had the Mets TT Over 3.5 last night, they're winning 4-2 in the 9th inning, the Cards score two in the 9th to tie it, then the rains came and the game got suspended, my bet goes as no action, while I didn't lose, it's still a bad beat

A push, or more precisely a refund, that feels like a loser.

Maddening.

railbird

EOG Master
I now have more sr moments than bad beats, had norway plus 130 over aus was ruled a push instead of win. Because it was 90 min not to qualify

OLDSANDBAGGER

EOG Senior Member
You can add the under 9 in Sunday Night’s Ángels/Cards game to your bad beat bin. Ouch that hurt to watch and the wallet.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Miserable loss.

The Angels led the Cards, 2-0, after eight innings.

Both teams scored four runs in the ninth inning.

Glad I wasn't involved.

Under bettors take some vicious bad beats.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
You can add the under 9 in Sunday Night’s Ángels/Cards game to your bad beat bin. Ouch that hurt to watch and the wallet.

Not a Loss - but a PUSH that had to feel like a Loss

Rox/Doyers U9. 2-0 headed to B7, Doyers put up 3 to make it 3-2. Rox tie in T8 then Doyers get a 3-run game ending HR in B9 to end 6-3 and PUSH.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Sometimes we get fooled by the sequencing of runs.

For example, if you would have flipped the line score in the Angels-Cards game with both teams scoring four runs in the first inning instead of the ninth inning, would we still be talking about a bad beat?

OLDSANDBAGGER

EOG Senior Member
The 9th inning took 56 minutes. Of Minute by minute trepidation. What’s gonna happen next? Including a great diving catch to end the game only to have the ball pop out of the glove when the fielder hit the ground. Then the run that put it over on a broken bat blooper just over the infield. By the way, St. Louis had 2 outs, no runs scored and no one on base bottom ninth and then scored 4. I know the long run it evens out but at my age the long run is getting shorter!

Ray Luca

EOG Master
Miserable loss.

The Angels led the Cards, 2-0, after eight innings.

Both teams scored four runs in the ninth inning.

Glad I wasn't involved.

Under bettors take some vicious bad beats.

The home teams four runs came after the first two outs were recorded in the 9th ...

Ray Luca

EOG Master
My bad beat was 29 years ago

Meldrick Taylor +200 over Chavez

Richard Steele stopped fight with 2 seconds left in final round 12

Taylor was way ahead

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
On the flip side, yesterday for me was only the second time this season I won with a 9th inning or later multi-run dinger to cover a -1.5 runline. Last season the trick was turned 8 times when I bet it and in 2017 I got bailed out a personal record 15 times.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
For every bad beat, there's a miracle win on the other side.

Yet very few come forward to announce their good fortune.

The miracle win that sticks in my mind was over 25 years ago, July 23, 1993. Bet Braves/Pirates OVER 7.5, remember Zane Smith (era at the time was over 5) was on the mound for Pit, Steve Avery for Atl.

Game was 0-0 going into top of the 9th inning. Braves score 6 in the top of the 9th, and the Pirates 2 in the bottom. Final: 6-2.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I like to credit my lucky wins to brilliant handicapping.

It's hard to remember details of lucky wins but nobody forgets the details of a bad beat.

I once heard it said the key to a bad beat story is the money behind the bet.

The more desperate the bet, the more tragic the story.

I bet UNDER in the 1993 NBA All-Star game.

The game was a dead UNDER but went to overtime and NBC showed the final of 133-132 in favor of the West.

Many sports books posted the final score as the betting result.

HOWEVER, the refs believed Scottie Pippen was fouled on a 3-point shot attempt as the buzzer sounded.

They went to replay, I think, and asked Pippen to return to the court and shoot three free throws which NBC cameras did not cover.

He made two of three free throws and the game went OVER the total.

Details not confirmed but that's my best recollection.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The miracle win that sticks in my mind was over 25 years ago, July 23, 1993. Bet Braves/Pirates OVER 7.5, remember Zane Smith (era at the time was over 5) was on the mound for Pit, Steve Avery for Atl.

Game was 0-0 going into top of the 9th inning. Braves score 6 in the top of the 9th, and the Pirates 2 in the bottom. Final: 6-2.

Money goes to money.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
On the flip side, yesterday for me was only the second time this season I won with a 9th inning or later multi-run dinger to cover a -1.5 runline. Last season the trick was turned 8 times when I bet it and in 2017 I got bailed out a personal record 15 times.

2017 was a good year for Jimmy.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
My bad beat was 29 years ago

Meldrick Taylor +200 over Chavez

Richard Steele stopped fight with 2 seconds left in final round 12

Taylor was way ahead

Richard Steele claimed after his controversial call that "no fight is worth a man's life."

Chavez did record a vicious knockdown of Taylor with 17 seconds remaining in the fight.

Taylor looked at his corner after Steele asked him twice if he was okay and Steele then waved off the fight with two seconds left in the 12th and final round.

The ring announcer cried out, "RICHARD STEELE STOPS THE FIGHT AT 2 MINUTES, 58 SECONDS OF THE TWELFTH ROUND..."

"Unbelievable," said Jim Lampley of HBO Sports.

Don Eagleston

EOG Addicted
Richard Steele claimed after his controversial call that "no fight is worth a man's life."

Chavez did record a vicious knockdown of Taylor with 17 seconds remaining in the fight.

Taylor looked at his corner after Steele asked him twice if he was okay and Steele then waved off the fight with two seconds left in the 12th and final round.

The ring announcer cried out, "RICHARD STEELE STOPS THE FIGHT AT 2 MINUTES, 58 SECONDS OF THE TWELFTH ROUND..."

"Unbelievable," said Jim Lampley of HBO Sports.

I attended that fight but did not bet it. Was trying to slither out of the arena during the last minute of the fight fearing a possible riot when Chavez inevitably lost. Then, Taylor crumpled down, the ring lights flashed at the 10 second mark, and Steele stopped the fight after Medrick made it to his feet. I seemed to be one of the few in attendance who knew what Steele had done. I had a good view of Taylor and he did not look good after rising to this feet. But still there were only 2 seconds left.

Don Eagleston

EOG Addicted
My bad beat is when the Gonzaga scorekeeper gave Pepperdine a Gonzaga basket. Never saw that before or since. Gonzaga basketball was kind of small time until its new arena opened.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I attended that fight but did not bet it. Was trying to slither out of the arena during the last minute of the fight fearing a possible riot when Chavez inevitably lost. Then, Taylor crumpled down, the ring lights flashed at the 10 second mark, and Steele stopped the fight after Medrick made it to his feet. I seemed to be one of the few in attendance who knew what Steele had done. I had a good view of Taylor and he did not look good after rising to this feet. But still there were only 2 seconds left.

Good story, DE.

Both fighters were exhausted at the end of the fight.

Should a boxing referee know time and score?

bomzee

EOG Dedicated
One night a few years ago when Arnie Lange was hosting the Stardust Line they had a call in and give a bad beat sports betting story theme. My favorite story or call as best I recall was a caller describing a playoff game in the old USFL where he bet the UNDER with a 7 1/2 point cushion on the last play of a playoff game in Boston.The visitors scored a meaningless TD on that last play and time expired and as they lined up to kick a meaningless extra point the fans stormed the field and made it impossible. A few minutes later it was announced that the referees arbitrarily awarded the visitors 2 points to penalize the home team for not protecting the field pushing the game OVER. the total.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
One night a few years ago when Arnie Lange was hosting the Stardust Line they had a call in and give a bad beat sports betting story theme. My favorite story or call as best I recall was a caller describing a playoff game in the old USFL where he bet the UNDER with a 7 1/2 point cushion on the last play of a playoff game in Boston.The visitors scored a meaningless TD on that last play and time expired and as they lined up to kick a meaningless extra point the fans stormed the field and made it impossible. A few minutes later it was announced that the referees arbitrarily awarded the visitors 2 points to penalize the home team for not protecting the field pushing the game OVER. the total.

Yikes!

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Chalk bettors saved by Greg Holland's inability to locate the strike zone.

L.A. closed -250 at CGT.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Howid: I posted it Wednesday and made sure SVP/Stanford Steve saw it as well as Doug Kezirian of that Gawd Awful show he does