Cubs

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Cubs have the oldest starting rotation in MLB. The cubs have to pitch to contact cause they cannot get the strikeouts when they need them. So they leaves the cubs to field the ball. The yankess were not winning championships by pitching to contact. Even the cubs in 2016 were third in pitching whiffs. The cubs need a complete overhaul .
They are holding money back until their Cubs Network starts up. It’s hard to tell how much more revenue that will bring them.

Valuist

EOG Master
Really have to wonder how many more years Hamels and Lester can give them. Hamels was pitching well when he went on the IL. Cubs Network or not, have to wonder if Hendricks and Darvish are the only starters who will be with the team in 2021. Darvish is untradeable with that contract. The farm system was gutted.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Really have to wonder how many more years Hamels and Lester can give them. Hamels was pitching well when he went on the IL. Cubs Network or not, have to wonder if Hendricks and Darvish are the only starters who will be with the team in 2021. Darvish is untradeable with that contract. The farm system was gutted.
It’s a very real possibility that the White Sox catch the Cubs next season.

Valuist

EOG Master
Cubs have the oldest starting rotation in MLB. The cubs have to pitch to contact cause they cannot get the strikeouts when they need them. So they leaves the cubs to field the ball. The yankess were not winning championships by pitching to contact. Even the cubs in 2016 were third in pitching whiffs. The cubs need a complete overhaul .

Strikeouts and K/BB ratios are much more important to relievers, as they are often in high leverage situations. Top of the 4th inning, 3-0 lead and nobody on base, would you rather your pitcher register an 8 pitch strikeout or a 2 pitch pop out? I guarantee you veteran pitchers like Hamels or Verlander could get more strikeouts if they really wanted to, but they know better.

richsox24

EOG Master
Both pitchers seem to excel in the post season (lester especially). Just need to find a way to get there.

Was talking to a buddy about this the other day. Is Jon Lester the best free agent signing in the history of Chicago sports? The only one I could think of to come close is Marion Hossa.

MrTop

EOG Master
Strikeouts and K/BB ratios are much more important to relievers, as they are often in high leverage situations. Top of the 4th inning, 3-0 lead and nobody on base, would you rather your pitcher register an 8 pitch strikeout or a 2 pitch pop out? I guarantee you veteran pitchers like Hamels or Verlander could get more strikeouts if they really wanted to, but they know better.

not true. Starters need strikeouts too . They need them to get out of big innings. The inning could be in the 3rd. Teams overall need K . The better teams have pitching and hitting that win the WS. Just look at where the cubs were in 2016. Weak staffs do not win the WS. The cubs won cause they had better than average pitching. You don't need the best staff but a team cannot win with a bad staff.

MrTop

EOG Master
hendricks is not in the top ten in FIP since 2015. Top 20 yes. The top 10 guys are the whiff pitchers. They make the most cause they whiff the batter. Same with chappman. Cubs got darvish to be the #1 ..it just did not work out. Theo tried again with qunitana same result. Theo would knock people over for a deal for degrom for hendrix all things equal like age.

Last edited:

Valuist

EOG Master
not true. Starters need strikeouts too . They need them to get out of big innings. The inning could be in the 3rd. Teams overall need K . The better teams have pitching and hitting that win the WS. Just look at where the cubs were in 2016. Weak staffs do not win the WS. The cubs won cause they had better than average pitching. You don't need the best staff but a team cannot win with a bad staff.

Do starting pitchers EVER encounter high leverage situations? Of course, but percentage wise, its far less than relievers. The top strikeout guys just tend to run up their pitch counts too quickly. Can't run your bullpen out there 4 or more innings every game. Eventually they will break down.

MrTop

EOG Master
Do starting pitchers EVER encounter high leverage situations? Of course, but percentage wise, its far less than relievers. The top strikeout guys just tend to run up their pitch counts too quickly. Can't run your bullpen out there 4 or more innings every game. Eventually they will break down.

agree totally. I never said hendrix was not a good pitcher. He is better than quintana. He understands how it is done better than 80% in MLB maybe more. He is a better version of the A's pitchers. The problem with K pitchers they cost more money providing they do other things better too. Billy beane said he looks for K/9 first when looking for a pitcher. He does not have the K pitchers cause they cost more. Like Darvish. Somewhere from the time darvish was on LA if that was his last team , he lost whatever he had. The last month I am seeing something better. If he returns to the Real darvish along with the relief which needs to be better, the cubs have a chance this year. . The cubs going into playoffs with less fielding with castellos but he is a contact hitter which the cubs really needed cause zobrist is a contact guy not playing but will be back probably end of the month. I knew garcia would not make it unless he hits with contact. Could be back. next year very.young .. Happ is back walk rate going thru roof and not striking out could be a plus for cubs. The minors must of worked with him better...……... I expect the cubs batting avg to go up with castellos and zobrist. Heyward is almost all the way back from his ATL days.

blueline

EOG Master
Cubs and Jeopardy James

Have you spoken to Cubs President Theo Epstein about a job?

No comment.

Hmm. I’ll ask him.

Go ahead. If they want to disclose anything, they will.

But it sounds like you have a shot.

There is a shot, yeah. I’d say it’s not an impossibility. (The Cubs have made no job offer, sources said, but plan to meet with Holzhauer.)

Valuist

EOG Master
Cubs and Jeopardy James

Have you spoken to Cubs President Theo Epstein about a job?

No comment.

Hmm. I’ll ask him.

Go ahead. If they want to disclose anything, they will.

But it sounds like you have a shot.

There is a shot, yeah. I’d say it’s not an impossibility. (The Cubs have made no job offer, sources said, but plan to meet with Holzhauer.)

For $2000, the category is converted outfielders who strike out way too much and what to do with them.

Valuist

EOG Master
Did Epstein try to get too cute renting Maldonado? So a month ago or so, Wilson Contreras goes to the DL and Epstein trades with the Angels to acquire Martin Maldonado. Contreras gets healthy and comes off the IL and the Cubs end up unloading Maldonado to the Astros. So what happens? Contreras gets hurt again and now the Cubs have to bring up a complete unknown from AAA to back up Caratini. So the Cubs got Maldonado from the Angels and dealt him to the Astros. After Houston acquired Maldonado, they traded another catcher, Max Stassi, to the Angels, who just recently DFA'd Jonathon Lucroy, who could very well end up on the Cubs.

Maldonado has now been with FOUR teams this season, having started the season with Kansas City.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Did Epstein try to get too cute renting Maldonado? So a month ago or so, Wilson Contreras goes to the DL and Epstein trades with the Angels to acquire Martin Maldonado. Contreras gets healthy and comes off the IL and the Cubs end up unloading Maldonado to the Astros. So what happens? Contreras gets hurt again and now the Cubs have to bring up a complete unknown from AAA to back up Caratini. So the Cubs got Maldonado from the Angels and dealt him to the Astros. After Houston acquired Maldonado, they traded another catcher, Max Stassi, to the Angels, who just recently DFA'd Jonathon Lucroy, who could very well end up on the Cubs.

Maldonado has now been with FOUR teams this season, having started the season with Kansas City.
I think they were trying to cover their asses by getting maldonado. Maddon didn't wan't three catchers, so he was traded. of course the second injury couldn't have come at a worse time.

Valuist

EOG Master
I think they were trying to cover their asses by getting maldonado. Maddon didn't wan't three catchers, so he was traded. of course the second injury couldn't have come at a worse time.

The moral of the story: never trade for a guy that you won't want 10 days down the road. Either you want him or not. Epstein was trying to get too clever and got burned.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I wouldn’t say he’s been a bust. The set up guys have been a train wreck for a month now, shows that we put too much emphasis on a closer.

MrTop

EOG Master
I wouldn’t say he’s been a bust. The set up guys have been a train wreck for a month now, shows that we put too much emphasis on a closer.

When theo is paying him that kind of money I would say he is a bust. The others although bad are not getting the $$$ kimbrel is getting. The cubs playing a little better with the castellanos kid. He could hit better than the guys they were using. That is why he is starting. Yes teams do that for sure instead of searching for a guy out of the bunch . Hard to get a guy that has not played in a while.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Was it Theo Epstein or Joe Maddon who labeled the final two months of the season as "Big Boy Time?"

Final score tonight: A's 11 Cubs 4.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
When theo is paying him that kind of money I would say he is a bust. The others although bad are not getting the $$$ kimbrel is getting. The cubs playing a little better with the castellanos kid. He could hit better than the guys they were using. That is why he is starting. Yes teams do that for sure instead of searching for a guy out of the bunch . Hard to get a guy that has not played in a while.
I think it’s hard to grade him until September. Then again, maybe the knee injury was a result of holding out. The Cubs are starting a sneaky hard road trip

MrTop

EOG Master
castellanos (trade) really working out. Happ must of learned something in minors.. Hitting well. Striking out much less or is this just a small sample? Since both are outfielders could mean less at bats for swarber. Will see how the cubs do when they play tougher teams. The cubs struggled vs the good teams in the past. Now with a new lineup it could be different.

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
Yes, but Strop was awful.

True, but why in the HELL do you pull Darvish 92 pitches into a complete game shutout???

Tom McCarthy (Phillies play-by-play guy) openly questioned the move. John Kruk simply replied with "Tom, it's just how the game is these days."

He's not wrong.

MrTop

EOG Master
look at the team - bote playing shortstop and happ playing second ???

then my pal swarber in left and caratini at catcher..... AAA team

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
How could anyone lay -140 with them tonight? They have now gone 12-straight road series without winning one

MrTop

EOG Master
cubs had 31 at bats. struckout 10 times. cannot hit the ball.. how can they win? lose in relief.

pirates only whiffed 3x - they made the at bats count.

theo should resign.