2020 Rock and Roll HoF nominees

Valuist

EOG Master
https://nypost.com/2019/10/15/rock-roll-hall-of-fame-2020-nominees-announced/

Books should take bets on this. Of course who I think will get in is much different from who SHOULD be in. How are the Doobie Brothers and Judas Priest not already in? Pat Benatar? Even Soundgarden. I'd like to see Thin Lizzy in as they were a big influence on many bands but they just didn't have enough success in the US to get in. But who is the most likely to get in? It has to be Whitney Houston. To me, non rock artists should not be in, but based on their criteria, she's far more deserving than many other artists who are already in.

Heim

EOG Master
Notorious B.I.G. is a lock too. He's a hip-hop legend in the same stratosphere as Tupac imo.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Six hip-hop acts have been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame since 2007.

They are Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Run-DMC, the Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, N.W.A. and Tupac Shakur.

That's all off the top of my head.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
He's a rapper. How can that be associated with the R & R HoF? At least rock morphed from R & B so I can sort of get those. But rappers? Get your own Hall of Fame.

I'm sure BIG and Whitney Houston are getting in . After that it is dicey. One of the big metal bands is getting in between Judas Priest and Motorhead. Since the Cure got in last year, Depeche Mode probably makes it. Todd Rungren was pretty big as a singer,songwriter, and producer - the HOF likes those types. Down to one spot and I think it goes to a 70's-80's act. The most obvious ones here are the Doobie Brothers and Pat Benetar. I can respect the Doobies, but they weren't groundbreaking nor influential. In a male-dominated industry, Benetar had a great career, she's the final inductee.

Near miss - Nine Inch Nails, Soundgarden

Who do I think deserves it and eventually gets in? - Benetar, BIG, Depeche Mode, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Kraftwerk, NIN, Rungren, Soundgarden, Thin Lizzy (huge in the UK). To me in this HOF, I prefer influential much more over record sales.

I'm sure BIG and Whitney Houston are getting in . After that it is dicey. One of the big metal bands is getting in between Judas Priest and Motorhead. Since the Cure got in last year, Depeche Mode probably makes it. Todd Rungren was pretty big as a singer,songwriter, and producer - the HOF likes those types. Down to one spot and I think it goes to a 70's-80's act. The most obvious ones here are the Doobie Brothers and Pat Benetar. I can respect the Doobies, but they weren't groundbreaking nor influential. In a male-dominated industry, Benetar had a great career, she's the final inductee.

Who do I think deserves it and eventually gets in? - Benetar, BIG, Depeche Mode, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Kraftwerk, NIN, Rungren, Soundgarden, Thin Lizzy (huge in the UK). To me in this HOF, I prefer influential much more over record sales.

Good call out on Kraftwerk - pretty much laid the foundation for all of the EDM music being spun today. May be the most influential of the group.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Ted Nugent not in because of his right wing views, otherwise he would have been in a long time ago.

The same argument can be made for Curt Schilling and MLB HOF. I think Schilling is a fucking asshole for his thoughts. But he belongs in the HOF

As for this I do agree that Whitney gets in. Others who might get in are (Not saying whether they should, or not - but I think they might get in this time): Dave Matthews, Pat Benatar, Motorhead, B.I.G.

if you get a chance to see NIN in concert do not pass it up. Trent Reznor is not only a genius he knows how to perfectly produce a show

I’m going to see one of the best live bands next week: TOOL.....another band that puts together amazing shows. Their drummer Danny Carey might be the best since John Bonham.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
if you get a chance to see NIN in concert do not pass it up. Trent Reznor is not only a genius he knows how to perfectly produce a show

I’m going to see one of the best live bands next week: TOOL.....another band that puts together amazing shows. Their drummer Danny Carey might be the best since John Bonham.
Tool/Killing Joke is in Chicago in the next couple of weeks also, would love to see them. Killing Joke is a strong opening act for Tool.

KevinStott11

EOG Veteran
The Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame needs the Notorious B.I.G.—he and 2Pac may be the best ever—like the MLB Hall Of Fame needs Pete Rose.

If The Byrds and The Animals made the cut...
If Henry Chadwick and Dan Brouthers made the cut...

Neither has total credibility until they are enshrined in my small head.

Let Me Get Down—The Notorious B.I.G.

To my motherfuckin' man 50 Grand, the alcoholic man
Inject a tall can in his bloodstream if he can
Biggie Smalls, the pussy stroker
MC provoker, chocolate Thai smoker (Hear?)
I like to max in Maximas and Acuras
Your girl butt-cheeks I'm smackin (Her)
The raw rapper, spine snapper
With the little hookers on my lap-ah
You know the flavor Mack-ah
A shy nigga but I ain't your fuckin' comforter
And if I ever fall in love I bet I'm fuckin' her
Ask the hooker, if I didn't jook her
If she tried to front, then I drop the Chucky Booker on her
Why you wanna, play your games on me
Bitch, you crazy?
Commitments, I'm Swayze, no time for the ill shit
Rest with the niggaw on that real bloodspill shit
My rappin' tac-tics are drastic
Stretchin' motherfuckers like Mr. Fantastic
So if you wanna see my pedigreeeee
You better be, filled with energy, niggas never gettin' me
So let me get down, let me get down, let me get down, let me get down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaSuRQjdsbo

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Congratulations to the newest Inductees into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. In the Performer Category:

• Depeche Mode
  • The Doobie Brothers
  • Whitney Houston
  • Nine Inch Nails
  • The Notorious B.I.G.
  • T. Rex
Awful list.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Congratulations to the newest Inductees into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. In the Performer Category:

• Depeche Mode
  • The Doobie Brothers
  • Whitney Houston
  • Nine Inch Nails
  • The Notorious B.I.G.
  • T. Rex
Awful list.

Late 1980s..................

I am working yellow jacket "security" for one of their shows at The Forum. My job was to guard the mixer area, located about 50-ish feet from the stage. I was bored out of my skull. I had to have a high powered flashlight since it was needed to light up areas when the show went on. I noticed I could reach the stage with my flashlight so I shined it into the eyes of the lead singer Dave Gahan. Soon I seem him squinting and it is obvious my flash light is bothering him so I stop shining it in his eyes.

About 5 minutes later one of my bosses comes by in a very serious mood. He tells me someone is shining a light into the lead signer's eyes and be on the look out for it and if I find that person to let him or others know. I tell him "Got it, boss" while trying not to both die laughing and cringe.

Needless to say I never did that again that show. Or to any other on stage person ever again

...............as got Whitney: I did "security" for her first tour. She is at the Costa Mesa fairgrounds "arena." I was about 50-feet from stage off to the side. I have done "security" for at least 200+ shows. Her show was the single worst show I have ever attended. She had ZERO stage presence and would sing a song, stop about 75% of the way thru it to stop and thank the crowd for cheering for her and then finish her song. I saw countless people walking out about 2/3 of the way thru her show. It was that bad.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Why don't they change their name to the Music Hall of Fame. Whitney Houston is zero associated with rock and roll.

100% agree. Wait until Taylor Swift gets in. She is 180-degrees from RnR but because RnR supposedly got its start in HELL (Cleveland - same thing) they named it this. Taylor belongs in the MUSIC HOF but RnR HOF is a joke

O'Royken

EOG Dedicated
MTV ruined Rock and Roll.

Rock bands softened up to the New Wave Sound to get on MTV which the network favored.

Rock then got too extreme with Speed Metal, etc. Then got into Depression Rock in 90s.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
MTV ruined Rock and Roll.

Rock bands softened up to the New Wave Sound to get on MTV which the network favored.

Rock then got too extreme with Speed Metal, etc. Then got into Depression Rock in 90s.
Music always had its extremes. MTV have it an outlet with 120 Minutes, Headbangers Ball, and Yo MTV Raps. These bands had limited radio exposure thanks to the music companies shutting them out for known commodities. The labels dictated what would be played on the radio, not the listener.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
There are a lot of Whitney Houston’s out there, just look at American Idol. Houston only made it because of her aunt, Dionne Warwick. Her music style influenced no one, and every door was opened for her because of her name and who she slept with.

Valuist

EOG Master

• Depeche Mode
  • The Doobie
  • Whitney Houston
  • Nine Inch Nails
  • The Notorious B.I.G.
  • T. Rex
Awful list.

I don't think I've ever heard a band cite Depeche Mode as an influence. I don't know anyone who claims Depeche Mode is their favorite band.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I don't think I've ever heard a band cite Depeche Mode as an influence. I don't know anyone who claims Depeche Mode is their favorite band.
Actually a lot of the newer metal is influenced by them - Marilyn Manson and the Deftones are two. My first roommate at college was a big fan of early DM, Smiths, Cure, etc. it was a crowd I never hung out with.

DM was a lot more popular in Europe than here early.

Sol Diablo

House of Heat
I don't think I've ever heard a band cite Depeche Mode as an influence.

You can't be serious.

Words are very, unnecessary. They can only do harm.

Who hasn't been influenced by those words of wisdom?

And tell me who on earth wouldn't want their own, personal Jesus? Someone that could hear your prayers and care. Someone who's there.

I can't imagine anyone who would turn that down. These guy's changed the world with their influence.

Valuist

EOG Master
You can't be serious.

Words are very, unnecessary. They can only do harm.

Who hasn't been influenced by those words of wisdom?

And tell me who on earth wouldn't want their own, personal Jesus? Someone that could hear your prayers and care. Someone who's there.

I can't imagine anyone who would turn that down. These guy's changed the world with their influence.

Yes, I'm 100% serious. Maybe you have a different opinion. Maybe there's bands out there who I'm not a fan of that were influenced by them. Fair Warning cited Marilyn Manson and Deftones. While I like old school metal, I cannot stand new heavy metal.

But should they be in ahead of Pat Benatar or Priest? I don't believe so at all.

Heim

EOG Master
There are a lot of Whitney Houston’s out there, just look at American Idol. Houston only made it because of her aunt, Dionne Warwick. Her music style influenced no one, and every door was opened for her because of her name and who she slept with.

The biggest female recording star in history is not in Mariah Carey. Her sales are unbelievable but no talent, lip-syncing Janet Jackson is!?

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!
The Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame needs the Notorious B.I.G.—he and 2Pac may be the best ever—like the MLB Hall Of Fame needs Pete Rose.

If The Byrds and The Animals made the cut...
If Henry Chadwick and Dan Brouthers made the cut...

Neither has total credibility until they are enshrined in my small head.

Let Me Get Down—The Notorious B.I.G.

To my motherfuckin' man 50 Grand, the alcoholic man
Inject a tall can in his bloodstream if he can
Biggie Smalls, the pussy stroker
MC provoker, chocolate Thai smoker (Hear?)
I like to max in Maximas and Acuras
Your girl butt-cheeks I'm smackin (Her)
The raw rapper, spine snapper
With the little hookers on my lap-ah
You know the flavor Mack-ah
A shy nigga but I ain't your fuckin' comforter
And if I ever fall in love I bet I'm fuckin' her
Ask the hooker, if I didn't jook her
If she tried to front, then I drop the Chucky Booker on her
Why you wanna, play your games on me
Bitch, you crazy?
Commitments, I'm Swayze, no time for the ill shit
Rest with the niggaw on that real bloodspill shit
My rappin' tac-tics are drastic
Stretchin' motherfuckers like Mr. Fantastic
So if you wanna see my pedigreeeee
You better be, filled with energy, niggas never gettin' me
So let me get down, let me get down, let me get down, let me get down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaSuRQjdsbo
How can anyone argue with biggie getting in after reading those hot lyrics?