Amazing coincidence involving the Washington Senators and Washington Nationals

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
Both Washington teams to win the World Series had losing records after 50 games in the regular season that year.

1924 Washington Senators 24-26, for a .480 win percentage
2019 Washington Nationals 19-31, for a .380 win percentage

Only 4, total, have done so, but I didn't memorize the other two.

ouch

EOG Dedicated
One of the other two teams was the 1914 Boston Braves. They were 20-30 in the first 50 games.

What is even more amazing is that on July 18th of that year, they were 35-43, and in last place in the National League (8 teams in each league in those days).

This was the latest date that a team has been in last place, only to come back and win a pennant. (At least before divisions should up in baseball).

The Braves, after July 18th went 59-16, and swept the heavily favored Philadelphia A's in the World Series in four straight games.

Hence their nickname.....the Miracle Braves.

No idea who the fourth team was.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Both Washington teams to win the World Series had losing records after 50 games in the regular season that year.

1924 Washington Senators 24-26, for a .480 win percentage
2019 Washington Nationals 19-31, for a .380 win percentage

Only 4, total, have done so, but I didn't memorize the other two.

I'll go 1 more

2004: Kurt Suzuki's team (The Alma Mater) started the year 15-16 then got hot and won the (College) World Series (He drove in the game winning run in title clinching game)
2019: Kurt Suzuki's team (That beat MY Dodgers) started the year 19-31 then got hot and won the World Series

I also believe - and I Tweeted this when the Nats were up 2-0 in the WS - if not earlier - I believe he will retire and walk away from the $6M he is owed for 2020. I do not know this from first hand knowledge just speculation. Looking at his face and eyes during the playoffs and WS - his gas tank is on dead set empty!

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
One of the other two teams was the 1914 Boston Braves. They were 20-30 in the first 50 games.

What is even more amazing is that on July 18th of that year, they were 35-43, and in last place in the National League (8 teams in each league in those days).

This was the latest date that a team has been in last place, only to come back and win a pennant. (At least before divisions showed up in baseball).

The Braves, after July 18th went 59-16, and swept the heavily favored Philadelphia A's in the World Series in four straight games.

Hence their nickname.....the Miracle Braves.

No idea who the fourth team was.

Thanks ouch. What an amazing turn around by the 1914 Boston Braves.