Kobe Bryant killed in a helicopter crash

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
EVERY channel in town except 1 has broken into programming for this. And will for some time except the CBS one that has to go to the Grammys soon

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Kobe was a regular at El Camino Real Mexican restaurant in Fullerton, CA. His wife Vanessa was originally from Fullerton
before her family moved to Huntington Beach. I'm told when Kobe went in to pick up to go orders he would wait in line
even though they wanted to give him VIP service. He said he was just another customer and waited in line.

She is a Marina HS Alum - Edinger/Springdale - not far from me

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Joe Altobelli is a former manager in MLB.

Three seasons with the Giants and Orioles and one season with the Cubbies (1991).

KevinStott11

EOG Veteran
I saw a story about Joe Altobelli but it said all 6 of his kids stayed in the Rochester (Detroit?) area I think.

John Altobelli overcame a lot of physical stuff in that one link. Must be same guy. Chicagoan at heart.

Nov 27, 1991 Dateline though. We'll kknow soon enough...

Patti Singer
THE BALTIMORE EVENING SUN

ROCHESTER, N.Y. -- Joe Altobelli fulfilled a promise he made to himself more than 10 years ago when he returned to the Rochester Red Wings as their general manager.
Altobelli, who managed the Baltimore Orioles to their 1983 World Series title, came back to what he calls his hometown team yesterday. The Red Wings are the Orioles' Class AAA affiliate in the International League.
"When I first left here in 1977 when I got the job in San Francisco to manage . . . the thought occurred to me way back then that someday I would be back in Rochester," Altobelli said at a news conference at Silver Stadium. "I thought it would be managing. Here I am."
Altobelli played for the Red Wings from 1963 to 1966 and managed them from 1971 to 1976. As manager, he led them to four first-place finishes and the Junior World Series title in 1971.

Altobelli, 59, a native of Detroit, has considered Rochester his hometown since 1966. He and his wife, Pat, have raised six children here, all of whom are still in the area.

Wikipedia entry for Joe Altobelli said 6 kids, but no specific names.

Valuist

EOG Master
I think it's him Valuist.

He grew up living out those same qualities. Altobelli was the sixth of eight siblings in a baseball loving family. His mom watched the Cubs on WGN religiously, and his dad played professionally.

http://www.coastreportonline.com/sports/article_73a89d4e-f894-11e6-b736-17e5a357323d.html

Wow. When Rail posted the pics, I thought it was the same guy, but it's not easy taking a 5th grade view of someone and projecting it to age 56. I remember him more for football even than baseball. In a pickup game, I went to tackle him and had the angle on him. He ran me over. I wasn't the only one. In youth football he was scoring TDs vs older players.

Like a lot of Midwest and northern youth baseball players, I dreamed of moving to CA or Florida where I could play year round and hone my game. Altobelli was able to, and made himself a D-1 player.

RIP and a terrible loss with the wife and daughter too.

boston massacre

EOG Master

When I see this Picture, and add in Baseball Coach, I immediately think of the Massachusetts Cape Cod Baseball League which runs in summer months every year on Cape Cod.

Sure Enough. Head Coach of the Brewster Whitecaps.

boston massacre

EOG Master
The helicopter, a Sikorsky S-76B built in 1991, departed John Wayne Airport at 9:06 a.m. Sunday, according to publicly available flight records. The chopper passed over Boyle Heights, near Dodger Stadium, and circled over Glendale during the flight.
The crash occurred shortly before 10 a.m. near Las Virgenes Road and Willow Glen Street in Calabasas. Authorities received a 911 call at 9:47 a.m., and firefighters arrived to find that the crash had ignited a quarter-acre brush fire in steep terrain, said L.A. County Fire Chief Daryl Osby. Responders included 56 fire personnel — firefighters, a helicopter with paramedics, hand crews — and sheriff’s deputies.

KevinStott11

EOG Veteran
https://www.pjstar.com/news/2020012...h-was-owned-by-state-of-illinois-from-2007-15

https://www.latimes.com/california/...yant-helicopter-crash-dense-fog-investigation

The fog was severe enough Sunday morning that the Los Angeles Police Department’s Air Support Division grounded its helicopters and didn’t fly until later in the afternoon, department spokesman Josh Rubenstein said.

“The weather situation did not meet our minimum standards for flying,” Rubenstein said. The fog “was enough that we were not flying.” LAPD’s flight minimums are 2 miles of visibility and an 800-foot cloud ceiling, he said.

1580099747306.png
1580100352779.png

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Any chance the helicopter could have survived an ocean landing?

And what about parachutes to abort the flight?

Not sure about the physics or logistics to either question.

KevinStott11

EOG Veteran
Wondering if pilot tried in vain to land in grass and not pavement or mountain. Those last 2 minutes had to be hell if that circling thing happened. They were stupid to be flying there this morning. Let's face it. Even LAPD copters were grounded and dude on CNN said his pilot friend wouldn't go up either. Probably a rushed decision knowing a basketball game was starting soon with them involved and no problems ever before.

The JFK plane ran into fog and he misguesed the Horizon in a new plane that was too new and good for him. The Stevie Ray Vaughn copter that crashed at Alpine tried to get over mountain but mis-gauged it because of Fog and ran into mountain.

The rash decisions to fly (with places to go and things to do) killed all of these people because of Fog. Pilots need to be tougher on stars. Weather and Terrain are always unforgiving. And we all build fake shields of invincibility because nothing ever happens until something happens. We are all naked to the world and should be aware of as much as possible.

Prince and Tom Petty thought they were taking Vicodin when they were taking Fentanyl. A feeling of invincibility got them both too.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Never mind.

According to data from flight-tracking service Flightradar24, the helicopter was flying at about 160 knots (184 mph) and descending at a rate of more than 4,000 feet per minute when it crashed.

KevinStott11

EOG Veteran
184 mph is insane. Hope there is a black box. No pilot even fighting would want to try an emergency landing at that rate of speed. Some earwitnesses said the copter sounded funny. Can't believe no radio contact.

mr merlin

EOG Master
184 mph is insane. Hope there is a black box. No pilot even fighting would want to try an emergency landing at that rate of speed. Some earwitnesses said the copter sounded funny. Can't believe no radio contact.
it flew into the ground because there was no visibility.

KevinStott11

EOG Veteran
it flew into the ground because there was no visibility.
Could very well be. No pilot would want that speed at a land. JFK had no idea where the waterline was because of eyesight and visibility. Stevie Ray Vaughn copter dude drove into a mountain he couldn't see.

Tons of non-famous people must die from Fog (0% visibility) also.

"Each year, over 38,700 vehicle crashes occur in fog. Over 600 people are killed and more than 16,300 people are injured in these crashes annually."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...ing-kobe-bryant-made-climbing-turn-rapid-dive

Last edited:

cheapseats

EOG Master
The route of the yellow line indicates they were following the freeways. I'd guess when they had to get over the coastal range into Calabasas the pilot was in error thinking he was on the path through, something they'd obviously done before. The pea soup likely caused them the error which led to the tragic ending.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
https://www.pjstar.com/news/2020012...h-was-owned-by-state-of-illinois-from-2007-15

https://www.latimes.com/california/...yant-helicopter-crash-dense-fog-investigation

The fog was severe enough Sunday morning that the Los Angeles Police Department’s Air Support Division grounded its helicopters and didn’t fly until later in the afternoon, department spokesman Josh Rubenstein said.

“The weather situation did not meet our minimum standards for flying,” Rubenstein said. The fog “was enough that we were not flying.” LAPD’s flight minimums are 2 miles of visibility and an 800-foot cloud ceiling, he said.

View attachment 7459980
View attachment 7459981

The flowers Tweet.........I Tweeted we need to know her place of business so we can support her for this action.

richsox24

EOG Master

I've actually always wondered why all helicopters and small planes dont have parachutes for each passenger in them. Or have each passenger wear one while flying, the same as they wear a lifejacket on a boat.

Any issues arise, just jump, pull the cord, and descend to safety.

Don't want to make light of the loss and the tragedy, but maybe this will get people to start asking why are there are kids playing these games at great distances and just questioning why travel sports are so important these days for kids. Why are we seeing Lebrons kid playing all over the place on TV? What is wrong with keeping kids in place until it's time to be adults and get into this rigorous world of sports to make someone else a dollar? The idea that all these people were getting on a helicopter and making a hurried trip in bad conditions for young kids playing basketball just doesn't sit well with me and I sure hope its a situation that gets a deeper discussion when the time is right.

MrTop

EOG Master
I've actually always wondered why all helicopters and small planes dont have parachutes for each passenger in them. Or have each passenger wear one while flying, the same as they wear a lifejacket on a boat.

Any issues arise, just jump, pull the cord, and descend to safety.

depends how high you are. Ejection seats could be put in but adds cost to build it. The blades have to be blown off first. They probably were not that high, but high enough to not survive a fall.

MrTop

EOG Master
Don't want to make light of the loss and the tragedy, but maybe this will get people to start asking why are there are kids playing these games at great distances and just questioning why travel sports are so important these days for kids. Why are we seeing Lebrons kid playing all over the place on TV? What is wrong with keeping kids in place until it's time to be adults and get into this rigorous world of sports to make someone else a dollar? The idea that all these people were getting on a helicopter and making a hurried trip in bad conditions for young kids playing basketball just doesn't sit well with me and I sure hope its a situation that gets a deeper discussion when the time is right.

schools worry about the dollar first. I don't think they even pay fed taxes but put kids in debt for years.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
What a shitty way to go man. Not only Kobe but his daughter as well and all those all other people on board. All traveling to basketball practice to prepare for a game. A day after Lebron passed him. A day before the grammys at the staples.

Insanity man.