Is LBJ the best defensive player in the NBA?

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am
According to DRPM, he is and by margin. I'm here to tell you that he isn't but he did get screwed 2x for DPOY. He still could probably be the best defensive player in the game but he'd be dead by Playoffs.

So for all the morons, like I've been telling you for years, the Dude can D-up so stop extrapolating from these silly ESPN outtakes of the Kings Hand pushing him to a close-out. That year, he was a plus Defender and what they won't show you on the highlights is two out of three plays before that "close-out" push, LBJ had a hand in creating two turnovers. I believe that was the game because I knew once the Kings Hand pushed him that it would make ESPN so it stuck in my mind.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
I disagree with respect to your playoff assessment regarding potential burnout. Let's be honest LBJ takes his game to an out of this world level on both sides of the ball come the postseason and can single handedly put the team on his back with an incredible stat line and becoming a difference maker. His defense may have taken steps back but he can still put perimeter and post up pressure in called for situations gathering rebounds and a block here and there.

With his position change his versatility still shows above and beyond, and spreads the wealth better than anyone in the league. So the onus isn't as concentrated but is still better than average on defense.

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am
I disagree with respect to your playoff assessment regarding potential burnout. Let's be honest LBJ takes his game to an out of this world level on both sides of the ball come the postseason and can single handedly put the team on his back with an incredible stat line and becoming a difference maker. His defense may have taken steps back but he can still put perimeter and post up pressure in called for situations gathering rebounds and a block here and there.

With his position change his versatility still shows above and beyond, and spreads the wealth better than anyone in the league. So the onus isn't as concentrated but is still better than average on defense.

The first 20 games, he was an absolute defensive demon and he has turned it on and off since; he's still clearly a + Defender.

Are you saying that if he was playing D like he was for the first 20 games (DPOY candidate) he wouldn't be dead by Playoffs? I think he absolutely would becuase they already rely on him way too much as it is. There were games early in the Season where he was blowing bubbles because he was putting out so much defensively.

I agree that Playoff LeBron is a real thing; that's why I have UniBron as the most likely Champs; he can get to levels that no one else can. I've seen it.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
He does have Anthony Davis alongside him you know, so again the onus wouldn't have to squarely fall on him. The combination and layoff in between back to backs in between series would prove equally as lethal given the rests applicable.

Last edited:

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am
He does have Anthony Davis alongside him you know, so again the onus wouldn't have to squarely fall on him. The combination and layoff in between back to backs in between series would prove equally as lethal given the rests applicable.

AD is a massive value-add. They don't win it all w/out him,

kane

EOG master
Six hours and Raiders hasn't posted his nonsensical bullshit and dumb as shit video clips yet, he must be tied up today

KevinStott11

EOG Veteran
LBJ should watch his teammate Avery Bradley play D and play hard on that end early in the season, early in games and late in the season and late in games, not just when he thinks he has to. Clippers know how to defend more consistently and use more energy and extended arms on D better in my opinion, but I watch way less than I used to. NBA so boring unless bet on.

kane

EOG master
LBJ should watch his teammate Avery Bradley play D and play hard on that end early in the season, early in games and late in the season and late in games, not just when he thinks he has to. Clippers know how to defend more consistently and use more energy and extended arms on D better in my opinion, but I watch way less than I used to. NBA so boring unless bet on.

Avery Bradley has always been a good defender going back to his Celtic days. Right now if the Clippers and Lakers met in a playoff series, I give the edge to the Clippers due to their defense, Kawhi, PG, Beverly are all elite defenders, and the addition of Marcus Morris is bigger than the average NBA fan realizes, that guy is a baller and doesn't back down from anyone. Darren Collison is staying retired, so I don't know who the Lakers can get to help them like the Clippers did with Morris, there will be plenty of veterans who will get bought out of their contracts, so we'll see if the Lakers can find a guy to help them

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am

You sound like you don't watch at all. You can't crtiicize his D, that was the whole point of my post. I wish he would pick and choose more. If he did, he wouldn't be the #1 Defender in the fucking LG according to some metrics.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I've always loved LeBron when he gets in a defensive stance at playoff time.

He picks his spots now at age 35 and for good reason.

Hard to play all-out on both ends of the floor when you're averaging 38 minutes a game in the regular season and 42 minutes a game in the postseason.

What's more, LeBron's a guy who can guard all five positions.

railbird

EOG Master
According to DRPM, he is and by margin. I'm here to tell you that he isn't but he did get screwed 2x for DPOY. He still could probably be the best defensive player in the game but he'd be dead by Playoffs.

So for all the morons, like I've been telling you for years, the Dude can D-up so stop extrapolating from these silly ESPN outtakes of the Kings Hand pushing him to a close-out. That year, he was a plus Defender and what they won't show you on the highlights is two out of three plays before that "close-out" push, LBJ had a hand in creating two turnovers. I believe that was the game because I knew once the Kings Hand pushed him that it would make ESPN so it stuck in my mind.
his drmp is boosted by having a good rim protector

I've always loved LeBron when he gets in a defensive stance at playoff time.

He picks his spots now at age 35 and for good reason.

Hard to play all-out on both ends of the floor when you're averaging 38 minutes a game in the regular season and 42 minutes a game in the postseason.

What's more, LeBron's a guy who can guard all five positions.
At one time he could. Curry made him look silly in the 2017 finals. Brick now can look slow and awkward against guards.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
At one time he could. Curry made him look silly in the 2017 finals. Brick now can look slow and awkward against guards.

Let's stop this nonsense that LaBron can defend guards.

Raiders beat me to the Curry fiasco. You can look up the video, but I'll mention that Tony Parker clowned LaBron in the Finals with the Spurs. With seconds to go, Parker almost lost the ball but regained it while LaBron just stood there. Then Parker made the shot.

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am

Raiders beat me to the Curry fiasco. You can look up the video, but I'll mention that Tony Parker clowned LaBron in the Finals with the Spurs. With seconds to go, Parker almost lost the ball but regained it while LaBron just stood there. Then Parker made the shot.

LMAO. This coming from some idiot who can't even grade Tipsters right. STFU, LBJ locked the fuck down MVP D-Rose, who I believe is a guard, and absolutley slowed Parker down.... you're problem, along with the rest of the morons, is I actually saw it.

Don't believe me, CompDummy?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...g-tony-parker-stops-san-antonio-spurs-offense

Read it and weep.

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am

I got video too of him locking him down.... wanna olay this game you silly child?

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am

BTW, since you're too fucking lazy to do any research whatsoever, Curry traveled on that play and LBJ was still all over him,

FYI: LBJ's defense is not overrated, it's criminally underrated. He changed the Finals w/ his defense.

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am
Honest question - what elite guards is LBJ locking down in 2020?

Kemba Walker is a fucking NInja and LBJ locked his shit up late and then the next night, he locked up Prozingiz, late. This was a few years ago. His defense is so underrated becuase you have ESPN and Dumb & Dumber, Raiders and CompBob, wanting to show clips of LBJ getting burnt.... Newsflash, all guys get burnt, Marcus Smart, included.

Have you seeh him play D this year? I sadi ealry in the season he's a DPOY candidate and lo and behold, 40 games later, he is #1 in the whole NBA in defenseive metrics. Don't get me wrong, he's not the best defender in the LG but don't let idiots like CB and Raiders fool you; LBJ can guard 1 through 5.... I've seen it for many, many years.

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am
Kemba Walker is a fucking NInja and LBJ locked his shit up late and then the next night, he locked up Prozingiz, late. This was a few years ago. His defense is so underrated becuase you have ESPN and Dumb & Dumber, Raiders and CompBob, wanting to show clips of LBJ getting burnt.... Newsflash, all guys get burnt, Marcus Smart, included.

Have you seeh him play D this year? I sadi ealry in the season he's a DPOY candidate and lo and behold, 40 games later, he is #1 in the whole NBA in defenseive metrics. Don't get me wrong, he's not the best defender in the LG but don't let idiots like CB and Raiders fool you; LBJ can guard 1 through 5.... I've seen it for many, many years.

FW, you of all people know what he did to the MVP, D-Rose, these idiots are trying to convince us that he couldn't guard 1's?

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am
Dear CompDummy and Raiders,

Look at this weak ass Defender flopping all the time....

FYI: From what I've seen, he's the best defender in the NBA... but I have mixed and matched unflattering video of him so I guess he isn't.... you simpletons.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

Father Time is hell in the last 40 games and the playoffs. I assume the Lakers are going to lighten his workload some. The best thing that could happen is if they don’t get the 1seed, the clippers do since they share the same arena.

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am
Father Time is hell in the last 40 games and the playoffs. I assume the Lakers are going to lighten his workload some. The best thing that could happen is if they don’t get the 1seed, the clippers do since they share the same arena.

He can't guard 1's like he used to, he's lost a half-step; i just get get indignant when morons jump in the convo and claim he can't guard 1's.... yes, he still can, just not as effectively as he once did but that was elite. JFC, think about, a 6'9 Althletic Alien like we've never seen can't guard a 1? That doesn't pass the laugh test much less the eye test; I've seen him do it time and time again.

Yes, I would like to see his workload lightened and I wasn't avoding your question earlier, just not sure how to answer it. He can still guard elite 1's in spells, just don't get beat middle and we'll take that. Can he check Dame for the whole game, no, but who can?

MrTop

EOG Master
1029 SA 72 97 26 23 18 23 72 14 28 11 19 16 13 2 176.5 175.5
DEN 80 96 28 29 20 26 81 17 25 8 20 7 10 4 +6.0 +5.0

1029 POR 92 84 36 21 16 20 55 20 20 10 16 2 12 4 180.5 177.5
UTA 99 73 42 14 10 8 33 25 20 9 12 5 9 5 +6.0 +6.0

1029 CLE 92 86 40 9 6 10 47 24 25 6 14 9 11 6 196.0 195.5
SAC 106 87 44 20 16 13 49 27 11 7 10 8 9 2 -11.0 -11.5

2003-04 - lebrons first year.

low totals compared to now. Shows how LeBron's scoring is a myth

Last edited:

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am
If anyone knows GameBred personally, it may be time for an intervention. This LeBron James love is embarrassing.

I need an intervention?

Raiders, you’re on detention.

CompDummy, he’s got dementia,

My B-ball IQ belongs in Mensa.

You two dummies make the perfect pair,

You both fucked in this thread, fire up a flare.

LBJ can’t guard, guards…

That’s the kinda shit you hear from retards.

Mercury ain’t in retrograde,

You two Clowns need to repeat B-ball’s first grade.

KevinStott11

EOG Veteran
Check out Jordan's RS and Playoff Minutes Per game in 1998 when he was 34:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01/gamelog/1998/

He played hard every play, gave no space. Before the age of Smartphones, Load Management and Excuses.
He was NBA Defensive POY in 1987-88 at that ripe old age.
Hard to see LeBron being effective consistently in paint vs 6-10 to 7-2 guys, or smaller PGs, 5'8 to 6'0 (Iverson-ish).

I get the thread rhetorical, get the bigger point, and will watch closely next time the plays.
I see Kawhi, Beverly, Davis, Avery Bradley, George committing more energy to D. But the Load Management taints Leonard and others.
These guys should play Soccer with 2 month Summer breaks and three or four tournaments and Travel like Aliens. Then they would deserve Load Management. Einstein and Prince and Mozart would scoff at the concept of Load Management. What about staying in "game shape" through real games and what the owner is paying you for? Sitting is for the fans and the announcers. We've become too pussified.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/11/th...avericks-showed-us-exactly-what-they-could-be

https://www.fanduel.com/theduel/pos...ny-davis-ahead-of-all-star-break-01e0rm1tzv0j

Last edited:

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am
Check out Jordan's RS and Playoff Minutes Per game in 1998 when he was 34:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01/gamelog/1998/

He played hard every play, gave no space. Before thee age of Load Management and Excuses.
Hard to see him being effective consistently in paint vs 6-10 to 7-2 guys, oor smaller PGs, 5'8 to 6'0 (Iverson-ish).

I get he rhetorical, get the bigger point, and will watch closely next time he plays.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/11/th...avericks-showed-us-exactly-what-they-could-be

Maybe it's escaped you're attention but at 35, LBJ is #1 in DPRM. Are you claiming he's not playing consistent defense? I'm a world renowned LBJ expert, I can assure that he is, he's just not the defensive demon that he absolutely was for the first 20 or so games. That doesn't mean he's a poor defender, it just means he's human.

KevinStott11

EOG Veteran
I can't. I must shower and do serious things.
I am arguing with Kelly's point(s) and not yours anyway.
I love LeBron. I simply disagree with this silly premise.

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am
I see Kawhi, Beverly, Davis, Avery Bradley, George committing more energy to D. But the Load Management taints Leonard and others.

I don't know who that is? I know a, "I can't Belevee it's Not Kawhi." Is that who you are talking about?

If it is, he should be outplaying everybody becuase he's literally fresher than everybody. If LBJ was on his schedule, JFC, he would be having an even more impressive season, which already tops, "I Can't Believe it's Not Kawhi's."