My Monday blog

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
I always thought the perfect business model for another pro football league... A minor league to the NFL. That plays in the spring. Just like the XFL is now.

8 teams. Each NFL division is represented in 1 team. For example, the NFC West would be the LA Wildcats. The AFC West would be the Seattle Dragons.

Every player in the league would ultimately be the property of an NFL team.

This would tie into the interest of die hard NFL fans. They get to watch their guys. Guys that might one day help the NFL team they cheer for.
This sounds like a good idea except you are then going to have players going from the spring season to the NFL season which most surely is going to be too much wear and tear on the body. These minor league guys are going to love the chance of being on a 53 man roster and will sacrifice their bodies for a league minimum contract. This could mean they play 8 games in the spring, 4 preseason, and then 16 regular season games for a 28 game year. Nobody's ready for that type of beating.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
found on twitter.

ABC's XFL opener averaged 3.3 million viewers. Some recent non-football sporting events that drew a similar-size audience:

Dec. 31: Liberty Bowl on ESPN: Navy-Kansas State

Dec. 25: Celtics-Raptors on ESPN

Dec. 29: Liga MX final Leg 2 on Univision: Chivas-Club America

Sol Diablo

House of Heat
This sounds like a good idea except you are then going to have players going from the spring season to the NFL season which most surely is going to be too much wear and tear on the body.

Not really. In my idea, this would be a league full of the same types of talent/players in the current XFL. How many of those guys just got done with the NFL season? Zero right?

These would be practice squad type players. The guys that MAYBE get put on the active roster once or twice throughout the season. There would need to be some sort of cap/cutoff for the minor league eligibility. Any player appearing in more than 1 or 2 games is not eligible for the spring season.

A true developmental league full of guys trying to get some experience and improve their skill sets in hopes of working their way into a full time NFL roster.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
Not really. In my idea, this would be a league full of the same types of talent/players in the current XFL. How many of those guys just got done with the NFL season? Zero right?

These would be practice squad type players. The guys that MAYBE get put on the active roster once or twice throughout the season. There would need to be some sort of cap/cutoff for the minor league eligibility. Any player appearing in more than 1 or 2 games is not eligible for the spring season.

A true developmental league full of guys trying to get some experience and improve their skill sets in hopes of working their way into a full time NFL roster.
There are only a handful of guys that are practice players for each team.

if this spring season was short, say 4 games. I could see it.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master

also we would see guys that would play in the nfl season and maybe there were a special teamer and might want more reps in the developmental league. wr, rb would be a clear shot.

the nfl has to have talked about this and since we don't see it is because its a big loser.

Sol Diablo

House of Heat
There are only a handful of guys that are practice players for each team.

So things get tinkered a little bit. It would never be a seamless transition to something like this without changing some things.

Right now, I think a lot of players have to make a tough decision. Do I spend a season on an NFL practice squad? With that you have a lot of uncertainty. People get cut from that all the time. Or do I make the decision to play in the CFL, XFL, etc. ? With a true minor league to the NFL, players wouldn't have to worry about that any more. They can do/be both.

Just an idea. An idea that could work with some tinkering.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
Entire blog on the XFL?

Was expecting a few paragraphs on the NCAA Wrestling landscape as we head towards the Nationals.

After Super Bowl and before baseball season, worst time for talking sports. Except for a few weeks of March Madness, it's dead. These sports talk radio hosts hate this time of year, trying to fill 2-3 hours a day.

I always thought the perfect business model for another pro football league... A minor league to the NFL. That plays in the spring. Just like the XFL is now.

8 teams. Each NFL division is represented in 1 team. For example, the NFC West would be the LA Wildcats. The AFC West would be the Seattle Dragons.

Every player in the league would ultimately be the property of an NFL team.

This would tie into the interest of die hard NFL fans. They get to watch their guys. Guys that might one day help the NFL team they cheer for.

That would be ugly. First off how do you get the teams to agree on who sends enough guys at all positions to fill out a roster? Second, remember there are bitter rivalries in most of these divisions. I don't think most fans care much about their division doing well if that means there rival did well. 98% of fans of the Broncos were rooting for the Niners because fuck the Chiefs, we'll never root for them. Likewise we'll never root for their QB to do well, even if its their 4th stringer in the XFL. We won't trade with them and when a player leaves either team to go to another, its scandalous for a long time. Trust me Chiefs fans still haven't forgiven Neil Smith for switching to the Broncos and then winning 2 titles.

There are plenty of examples from the world of soccer to guide how to do this. Players would go on a loan to the XFL teams who would then agree to pay some compensation, or maybe just agree to pay the standard salary which defrays some cost to the NFL team. There would be limits on the timeframe and I'm sure over a few years some teams in the NFL would trust the coaches in the XFL to do a better job of development than others so some pipelines would begin to develop. If done right, I could see this develop into a longer term relationship with a lot more players technically under contract to NFL teams. They could expand the draft back up to 12 rounds and NFL teams would send their roster cuts to the XFL team's organization for longer term preparation if they weren't on the limited practice squad. Really a lot of options that are win win, but the NFL tends to be greedy and the XFL investors probably don't want to cap their long term potential either.

Sol Diablo

House of Heat
If done right, I could see this develop into a longer term relationship with a lot more players technically under contract to NFL teams. They could expand the draft back up to 12 rounds and NFL teams would send their roster cuts to the XFL team's organization for longer term preparation if they weren't on the limited practice squad. Really a lot of options that are win win, but the NFL tends to be greedy and the XFL investors probably don't want to cap their long term potential either.

Of course.

I was just throwing ideas out off the top of my head. The details and the tinkering would be very important obviously. But if done right, it could work and be successful.

The core of my idea is having something like the XFL partner with the NFL. I think it could work if done right and make the league more interesting and viable for a long term future.

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
By the way, I love amateur wrestling.

I was defeated in high school by Michael Foy at 155 pounds during my sophomore year at Thornwood High School in South Holland, Illinois.

Do I have this correct? You didn't try out for the basketball team, but instead wrestled?

Was that a sophomore match or a varsity? Did you wrestle all four years, and if so, how many were on varsity?

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
One important factor in favor of the rebooted XFL: (Dare I say it?) The Trump economy.

How? Appears irrelevant to the situation to me.

I think the league survives if people embrace minor league football. The economy's strength is irrelevant. All four major sports survived the great depression.

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
To this point, and I haven't seen it mentioned, the XFL currently has a 9th team that doesn't play in games, but practices and provides game ready bodies to replace injured players. The players on team 9 are absorbed by the other 8 teams after the 5th (i think) game. Smart way to keep depth for the league.

Essentially, it's a practice squad for all eight teams.

KevinStott11

EOG Veteran
Typical LA just like when the LA KISS had an Arena team in each of the 4 corners of the end zone they had "dancers" in cages a good 70+ feet above the ground dancing around a pole. They got lowered at halftime and I vividly recall before each one got lifted up someone put a "handcuff" around the pole in the cage and another around their ankle just in case something happened to keep them from falling a good 70+ feet to what almost certainly would have been their death

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Do I have this correct? You didn't try out for the basketball team, but instead wrestled?

Was that a sophomore match or a varsity? Did you wrestle all four years, and if so, how many were on varsity?

Zero years of varsity wrestling.

I went out for the sophomore wrestling team after I got cut from the football team.

Wanted to earn a letter for the jacket.

No chance to make the varsity basketball team.

No player on our high school team ever suffered from a sunburn, if you know what I mean.

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
As long as Vince stays FAR away, and only provides the $$$, the league will be viable. I was impressed with week 1. Some interesting rules, broadcasts were good, gambler friendly for the most part. Not trying to be something they're not. Was talked about a good deal on the local WFAN talk shows.
AAF was working, but their money men were corrupt liars. Here, only one money man and he has deep pockets.

railbird

EOG Master
As long as Vince stays FAR away, and only provides the $$$, the league will be viable. I was impressed with week 1. Some interesting rules, broadcasts were good, gambler friendly for the most part. Not trying to be something they're not. Was talked about a good deal on the local WFAN talk shows.
AAF was working, but their money men were corrupt liars. Here, only one money man and he has deep pockets.
good point about only 1 money man

railbird

EOG Master

I went out for the sophomore wrestling team after I got cut from the football team.

No player on our high school team ever suffered from a sunburn, if you know what I mean.

what hs? Im guessing you could have played at 80% of nations high schools. could have been a good rebounding guard in a zone defense.

Valuist

EOG Master

Was that Thornton? I remember they had basketball team in the mid 90s where 3 future NFL players and 1 future NBA player made up 4/5 of starting lineup. They lost in state semifinal to Kevin Garnett's Faragut team.

At one point, Thornton had more players in the NFL than any other HS.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Was that Thornton? I remember they had basketball team in the mid 90s where 3 future NFL players and 1 future NBA player made up 4/5 of starting lineup. They lost in state semifinal to Kevin Garnett's Faragut team.

Thornwood High School in South Holland, Illinois.

Our best basketball product was Eddy Curry.

He went straight to the NBA after high school and he was drafted fourth overall by the Chicago Bulls in the 2001 NBA Draft.

Curry was an enigmatic 7-footer who promised a lot more than he delivered.

When Chicago head coach Scott Skiles was asked in 2003 what Curry could do to improve his rebounding numbers, Skiles responded, "Jump!"

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Thornton High School was home to Baseball Hall-of-Famer Lou Boudreau in the mid-1930's.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
What position did you try out for on the sophomore (I presume) football team?

Tight end.

I got cut in favor of Dan Gibson whose father owned Gibson Chevrolet.

Coach O'Connor drove a Chevy.

Solve by inspection.

I was clearly superior to Gordon.

Welcome to the real world.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Did you try out for the freshman basketball team?

Yes.

But to no avail.

Too slow.

That's a challenge for white kids in the suburbs trying to play basketball at a high level against African-American competition.

A lot of white kids are not exposed to the speed of the game at an early age.

By the time a white kid sees elite speed, it's too late.

You've got to see the lightning-quick speed at age 7 or 8, not 17 or 18.

The white American-born NBA player may be extinct in another 8-10 years.

Are there any more Kevin Loves or Gordon Haywards out there?

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
Eli is a cinch Hall-of-Famer.

Not enough attention is paid to the name of the shrine.

Hall-of-FAME.

Eli is famous.

Eli Manning, not brother Peyton, played David to Tom Brady's Goliath not once, but twice.

The 538 website has had articles explaining that Eli Manning is an exceedingly mediocre QB. (Search the website to locate and read.)

It appears that a similar apparent miscarriage of "justice" of you being cut for the son of a Chevy dealer because the father apparently gave the coach a good deal on a Chevy will occur if Eli Manning is elected to the Hall-of-Fame for playing in New York, even though, by at least two 538 analysis, he is deemed to be an exceedingly mediocre QB.

Eli had one good season out of all his seasons (according to 538) and was the beneficiary of a defensive line successfully pressuring Tom Brady in both Super Bowls -- a defensive line Eli Manning didn't play on.

Fame should be in regards to how well you played through out your career, not the city you played in.

Being exceedingly mediocre doesn't make you a Hall-of-Famer as one of 26 "starters" (counting kickers, punters, holders, long snappers) of a team game where the critical factor in two Super Bowl victories were your team's effective defensive line play (and in one of the games -- a desperation heave, thrown up for grabs to avoid a sack, which was caught off a face mask instead of intercepted).

An aside: Peyton Manning's Colts team did defeat the Patriots in the playoffs the year the Colts won the Super Bowl. Peyton was never going to defeat Brady in the Super Bowl as Peyton spent his whole career in the AFC.