Is LBJ the best defensive player in the NBA?

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am
I can't. I must shower and do serious things.
I am arguing with Kelly's point(s) and not yours anyway.
I love LeBron. I simply disagree with this silly premise.

Then fucking act like it.

No one is saying, besides DPRM, that LBJ is the best defender in the LG.

The point is, the #1 DPRM guy is not a one-way player which has been trumpeted for many years now both on and off this forum, most notably, the ESPN Talking Heads. I can't ever remember the guy being a minus Defender, much less the last few years. The worst I've seen him on D, day-to-day, was his last year in Cleveland during his 2nd Tour and he was still a good Defender.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Is there anyone better at making up ground from behind and flying through the air to block what appears to be an uncontested layup?

I didn't think so.

I like when LeBron uses his force on the defensive end of the floor.

MJ and Kobe's finesse served them well on the offensive end of the court but LeBron brought to the game a beautiful blend of force and finesse.

Guys like Steph Curry, Kevin Durant and James Harden don't belong in the same discussion as the MJ's, Kobes and LeBrons of the world because they're playing a different game, a one-way game (no defense).

kane

EOG master
Let's stop this nonsense that LaBron can defend guards.

Raiders beat me to the Curry fiasco. You can look up the video, but I'll mention that Tony Parker clowned LaBron in the Finals with the Spurs. With seconds to go, Parker almost lost the ball but regained it while LaBron just stood there. Then Parker made the shot.

In his prime not only could he defend guards, he would shut them down, go as Derrick Rose what it's like being guarded by LeBron, when Rose was in his prime LeBron guarded him in the playoffs and dominated him, in his prime LeBron could guard any position on the court 1-5, nowadays of course things are different given his age and minutes played, but in his prime he was an elite defender

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am
In his prime not only could he defend guards, he would shut them down, go as Derrick Rose what it's like being guarded by LeBron, when Rose was in his prime LeBron guarded him in the playoffs and dominated him, in his prime LeBron could guard any position on the court 1-5, nowadays of course things are different given his age and minutes played, but in his prime he was an elite defender

D-Rose was MVP that year and was a fucking stud. Parker was on a playoff tear that year, the kind you read about and LBJ cooled his ass off. Sure, a 6'9 Athletic Alien can't guard one's.... it's unfair.... to the 1's.

kane

EOG master
The year Rose won the MVP award the Bulls met the Heat in the playoffs, when Rose was guarded by LeBron he shot 6.3% from the field, that's not a misprint, the MVP of the league shot 6.3% when being guarded by LeBron

kane

EOG master
"But the level to which LeBron locked up Rose is still amazing, even for those who watched every second of the series."

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am
The year Rose won the MVP award the Bulls met the Heat in the playoffs, when Rose was guarded by LeBron he shot 6.3% from the field, that's not a misprint, the MVP of the league shot 6.3% when being guarded by LeBron

I remember watching it, he couldn't get by him and D-Rose could get by anybody

kane

EOG master
I remember watching it, he couldn't get by him and D-Rose could get by anybody

And it wasn't like Rose had a bad series, he didn't, he averaged 23 points per game, there's a reason he won the MVP that year, but when things got tight, Spo would use his secret weapon and put LeBron on him, and he locked down Rose defensively

kane

EOG master
The haters can hate all they want, but they can't change the facts, and the fact is, in his prime the GOAT could defend all 5 positions on the court and lock down whichever one he was guarding. He wouldn't defend guards all game since he needed his legs on offense, but in the fourth quarter when things got tight, that's when he would guard guys like Rose and lock them down. Think about it, a 6'9 half man half cyborg athletic freak locking down whoever he guarded, be it a taller center or a smaller guard, and no amount of Raiders video clips will ever change this fact, and no amount of revisionist bullshit from the haters will change it either. In his prime he was an elite defender who guarded all 5 positions on the floor, and locked them all the fuck down

kane

EOG master
Is there anyone better at making up ground from behind and flying through the air to block what appears to be an uncontested layup?[/B]

I didn't think so.

I like when LeBron uses his force on the defensive end of the floor.

MJ and Kobe's finesse served them well on the offensive end of the court but LeBron brought to the game a beautiful blend of force and finesse.

Guys like Steph Curry, Kevin Durant and James Harden don't belong in the same discussion as the MJ's, Kobes and LeBrons of the world because they're playing a different game, a one-way game (no defense).

Ask Derrick Rosehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i5ZJLQkjmY

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am

Bred's been fluffing Brick for years. It's past the point of embarrassment.

And the first pick in the 2018 NBA GM Draft is.... Kyrie Irving.......

Now that's embarassing.

Speaking the truth about a guy's game, despite constant false narratives to the contrary, is laudable. You've been digging on his D for years and I kept telling you LBJ is a +Defender but you just don't use your resources.

You once even linked an article, that unbeknownst to you, since you clearly didn't read it, they talked about LBJ being worth more to the spread than Curry becuasse of his defensive impact.

You can't be anymore wrong than you've already been so you mine as well keep going.

MrTop

EOG Master
LBJ old man on defense. legs go first.... still a force on offensive end.

Last edited:

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am
The bold shouldn't be in there; those three aren't even close to being the best player in the LG and I love Luka but h'e's not there yet.