Your Level of Concern About the Coronavirus......on a scale of 1-10

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
They can keep the airports open. Obviously the public don't want to travel. My cousin is flying out of O'Hare to Fredericton, New Brunswick

kane

EOG master
You would close the 21 states with 0 or 1 death?

Any question you ask me will be met with the same response. If the health officials feel those 21 states should be closed, then that's what I think as well, if the health officials feel those 21 states could safely re-open, then that's what I think. I normally don't let others do the thinking for me, the way you do with Trump, but in this special case of dealing with a pandemic, I have no problem letting the health experts do the thinking for me, I'm fine with whatever they feel is best

Any question you ask me will be met with the same response. If the health officials feel those 21 states should be closed, then that's what I think as well, if the health officials feel those 21 states could safely re-open, then that's what I think. I normally don't let others do the thinking for me, the way you do with Trump, but in this special case of dealing with a pandemic, I have no problem letting the health experts do the thinking for me, I'm fine with whatever they feel is best

Health official aren't economists. Trump gets input from all. Losing jobs ruins families and can lead to suicide.

Chi_Archie

EOG Veteran
"To be a week into these restrictions and already be talking about abandoning them is irresponsible and dangerous" , said Tom Inglseby, director of Johns Hopkins Center for Health and Security. "Removing restrictions now would allow the virus, to spread widely, rapidly, terribly, and could kill potentially millions in the year ahead with huge social and economic impact."

but is he more informed than gambling forum posters like me?

Dr. Inglesby is the Director of the Center for Health Security of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. The Center for Health Security is dedicated to protecting people’s health from the consequences of epidemics and disasters. Dr. Inglesby is also a Professor in the Department of Environmental Health and Engineering in the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, with a Joint Appointment in the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.
Dr. Inglesby's work is internationally recognized in the fields of public health preparedness, pandemic and emerging infectious disease, and prevention of and response to biological threats. He was Chair of the Board of Scientific Counselors, Office of Public Health Preparedness and Response, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) from 2010-2019. He served as Chair of the National Advisory Council of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation’s National Health Security Preparedness Index. He was a member of the CDC Director’s External Laboratory Safety Workgroup, which examined biosafety practices of the CDC, the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) following high-profile laboratory incidents in federal agencies. He was on the 2016 Working Group assessing US biosecurity on behalf of the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST). He has served on committees of the Defense Science Board, the National Academies of Sciences, and the Institute of Medicine, and in an advisory capacity to NIH, BARDA, DHS, and DARPA.
Dr. Inglesby has authored or co-authored more than 140 publications, including peer-reviewed research, reports, and commentaries on issues related to health security, preparedness for epidemics, biological threats, and disasters. He is Editor-in-Chief of the peer-reviewed journal Health Security, which he helped establish in 2003. He was a principal editor of the JAMA book Bioterrorism: Guidelines for Medical and Public Health Management.
Dr. Inglesby completed his internal medicine and infectious diseases training at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, where he also served as Assistant Chief of Service in 1996-97. Dr. Inglesby received his MD from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and his BA from Georgetown University. He sees patients in a weekly infectious disease clinic.

Suicides in the Great Depression
Roy was one of at least 40,000 Americans who took their own lives that year and the next, the two-year span that suicide rate spiked to its highest recorded level ever: more than 150 per 1 million annually.

kane

EOG master
Health official aren't economists. Trump gets input from all. Losing jobs ruins families and can lead to suicide.[/QUOTE]

So can getting the virus, you won't have to worry about losing your job if you get infected and die from it. IMO saving lives is more important than the economy. Right now I care more about what the health officials say than the economists. Right now it looks like the health officials feel it's too early to open back up, if they change their minds, than I'll have no problem with it. And like I posted before, this is hurting me in my wallet as much as anyone, I would love nothing more than for all of our lives to get back to normal as possible, but keeping as many Americans safe from the virus is of more importance to me than the money I'm losing, but that's me, to others money might be more important and if that means some Americans die, so be it, we all have our own morals

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
I just have to imagine when its all said and done, out of the million pages, there will be some decent form of relief for small business owners who temporarily closed or even closed permanently.

kane

EOG master
but is he more informed than gambling forum posters like me?

Dr. Inglesby is the Director of the Center for Health Security of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. The Center for Health Security is dedicated to protecting people’s health from the consequences of epidemics and disasters. Dr. Inglesby is also a Professor in the Department of Environmental Health and Engineering in the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, with a Joint Appointment in the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.
Dr. Inglesby's work is internationally recognized in the fields of public health preparedness, pandemic and emerging infectious disease, and prevention of and response to biological threats. He was Chair of the Board of Scientific Counselors, Office of Public Health Preparedness and Response, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) from 2010-2019. He served as Chair of the National Advisory Council of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation’s National Health Security Preparedness Index. He was a member of the CDC Director’s External Laboratory Safety Workgroup, which examined biosafety practices of the CDC, the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) following high-profile laboratory incidents in federal agencies. He was on the 2016 Working Group assessing US biosecurity on behalf of the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST). He has served on committees of the Defense Science Board, the National Academies of Sciences, and the Institute of Medicine, and in an advisory capacity to NIH, BARDA, DHS, and DARPA.
Dr. Inglesby has authored or co-authored more than 140 publications, including peer-reviewed research, reports, and commentaries on issues related to health security, preparedness for epidemics, biological threats, and disasters. He is Editor-in-Chief of the peer-reviewed journal Health Security, which he helped establish in 2003. He was a principal editor of the JAMA book Bioterrorism: Guidelines for Medical and Public Health Management.
Dr. Inglesby completed his internal medicine and infectious diseases training at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, where he also served as Assistant Chief of Service in 1996-97. Dr. Inglesby received his MD from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and his BA from Georgetown University. He sees patients in a weekly infectious disease clinic.

We can listen to what this guy thinks, or we can listen to what Trump thinks, it's an individual choice. Call me crazy, but I think I'll go with this guy

kane

EOG master
I just have to imagine when its all said and done, out of the million pages, there will be some decent form of relief for small business owners who temporarily closed or even closed permanently.

I would be for that, but provided there's total transparency so we know where the money goes and who gets it, and I don't want Trump making those decisions, it has to be bi-partisan

I would be for that, but provided there's total transparency so we know where the money goes and who gets it, and I don't want Trump making those decisions, it has to be bi-partisan
They came up with a by-partisan bill. Then the dems wanted new green deal provisions.

Chi_Archie

EOG Veteran
1851 in serious critical condition right now in Italy.
12 in the US.

one week ago, exactly.

I wonder if there is some like exponential component to this or if its just like the flu

I wonder if we should look at each day's numbers and assume that that is the peak

post #476

Valuist

EOG Master
Health official aren't economists. Trump gets input from all. Losing jobs ruins families and can lead to suicide.

I had this same discussion with someone I know. They just defaulted to the health official. Many health officials are experts in their own area, but like most specialized professions, live in vacuum. Economists have a bigger picture view.

blueline

EOG Master
I don't know, this shit's above my pay grade. If the health officials think those airports should shut down in order to save lives, then that's what I think. If the health officials think it's safe for those airports to be open, then that's what I think. Since I don't know anything about this shit, I'll defer to the health experts, whereas you're defering to a reality show tv star

he's going to do whatever he thinks is best for his self interest period

mr merlin

EOG Master
My mom died 3 years ago, her cremation cost about $8K. They really get you on the urns, etc. My mom had a plot to be buried in so her urn is placed in a container. You can pick a heavy duty almost tupperwear box for maybe $250, or get a nice wood container for $450. it's hard to put your mom in a tupperwear bin even if you'll never see it again.

Biff41

EOG Dedicated
Dan Patrick is 69 years old. He also said a failing economy is worse than coronavirus.
Not all health experts are in agreement. The Corona Virus is so highly contagious the once it is in an area social distancing wont completely stop it anyway; so you have to weigh the economic damage to business and consider different strategies. It has to spread to a certain percent of the population (in China 1 or 2%) before the natural immunization effects weaken it. It is in remission in China and Korea where it hit first.

Total deaths/ 1m population.

113 Italy
64 Spain
23 Iran
17 France
16 Netherlands
14 Switzerland
11 Belgium
6 UK
6 Denmark
4 Sweden
3 Austria
3 Portugal

2 US

There's gonna be a lot of disappointed people in 2-3 weeks when the curve flattens in most areas.

Come on Merlin-I know we’ve had our banter back and forth but I know you’re better than this. There’s a lot of tribalism in politics but I don’t truly believe there’s a lot of people rooting for more illnesses and deaths.

There’s always a few sick bastards on both sides of the party aisle and I will always call out any of them regardless of affiliation.

SlipperyPete

EOG Dedicated
USA
RECOVERED:1%

🔍
NAME CONFIRMED CHANGES TODAY DECEASED CHANGES TODAY RECOVERED SERIOUS

TOTAL 54,141↑ 11,085 (25.74%) 789↑ 222 (39.15%)35450

If it multiplies like that for the next two weeks, we are screwed.
Wouldnt that mean like 1500 deaths per day?

New York might flatten but the rest will probably pick up

Corona virus might solve the entitlement problem for us

Valuist

EOG Master
USA
RECOVERED:1%

🔍
NAME CONFIRMED CHANGES TODAY DECEASED CHANGES TODAY RECOVERED SERIOUS

TOTAL 54,141↑ 11,085 (25.74%) 789↑ 222 (39.15%)35450

If it multiplies like that for the next two weeks, we are screwed.
Wouldnt that mean like 1500 deaths per day?

New York might flatten but the rest will probably pick up

Corona virus might solve the entitlement problem for us

I don't know how anyone can make projections when the data out of China is totally flawed.

waco

EOG Dedicated
He said we will be betting a couple weeks after Easter!! You have to believe in the man!! He must know something we dont!!

SlipperyPete

EOG Dedicated
I think Trump has it wrong about his reelection chances.

Right now he thinks its connected to the well being of the economy. I dont think that is necessary anymore.

If he can keep his approval rating up thru this, however long it takes, that would be enough.

But he has to make the correct choice
If he opens back up too soon, which it looks like he wants to he WILL cause unspeakable damage to the US--economy AND people

If there is gonna be images of overflowing hospitals, he will lose the independents.

The MAGGAts will stick by him no matter what