Should college ball give everybody a red shirt year?

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
What a wasted year for a senior!

Look at all the high school action that was up to the state tournament and now the kids do not get to play in it.
Would like to see those tournaments get played even if it is in August.

common guy

EOG Senior Member
lot of seniors already redshirted and will turn 19 this semester. Red shirt those dudes and you have 20 year olds taking 14 year olds to the prom. Not legal

railbird

EOG Master
lot of seniors already redshirted and will turn 19 this semester. Red shirt those dudes and you have 20 year olds taking 14 year olds to the prom. Not legal
thats why i said 17 yr old srs only, i wish i would have redshirted a year or 2

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
Remember the story about the star high school basketball player who turned out to be like 25 ?

Of course youre a star, you were like 10 years older than everybody else.

The NCAA immediately granted spring sport athletes like baseball players an extra year of eligibility

I'd imagine they'd do the same for fall and winter sports if their seasons are cancelled as well

Last edited:

Chi_Archie

EOG Veteran
The NCAA immediately granted spring sport athletes like baseball players an extra year of eligibility

I'd imagine they'd do the same for fall and winter sports if their seasons are cancelled as well

problem is that they need to address the # of scholarships allowed in those sports, which could create unfair advantages especially in schools that might pay $ under table for a senior to stay that might not otherwise stay. Currently you can have 15 scholarship athletes. But new freshmen are coming in and already have scholarships that were assumed to be vacated

So say Team A has 6 really good but not great seniors this year. So they recruited 5 stud blue chip recruits , some of them might be one and done good. and gave them scholarships for the 2020/2021 season and have 1 stud Juco transfer coming in too.

Now Team A has a super experienced team with super talent coming in and a total of 21 players

Team B has 3 seniors, 2 were walk ons and never really played, 1 was a bench player PF that averaged 7 points and 3 boards a game. The guy that started ahead of him was the star of team and is soph. The team recruited a stud PF to replace this bench guy and 2 other really good div 1 transfers are coming in.

All 3 of Team B's seniors want to exercise their red shirts. Is it their call or the college or the NCAAs (assuming they put a cap on how many players can suit up)

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
They have to tweak and figure it out.

Guys like M.Powell, C.Winston, Cowan Jr, M.Howard deserve the right to play for a NCAA championship or at least play in the tournament. Its total bullshit.

Chi_Archie

EOG Veteran
But if you have a couple studs that can go to the NBA and make cash you get penalized vs a team of a ton of 4th and 5th year seniors that will stay instead of a career in croatia or of selling insurance.

it would be a hollow championship unless every single player stayed put for an entire year, no?

Chi_Archie

EOG Veteran
not really a time for "Wah wah its not fair"

ah poor johnny can't stay and bounce his ball for a trophy

a few generations ago. Johnny's got drafted to go die overseas instead of going to play pro sports. Johnny's kids grew up without a dad, or Johnny's wife was a 22 year old widow. For Every Ted Williams we got, how many paid the ultimate sacrifice.

get some perspective

railbird

EOG Master
But if you have a couple studs that can go to the NBA and make cash you get penalized vs a team of a ton of 4th and 5th year seniors that will stay instead of a career in croatia or of selling insurance.

it would be a hollow championship unless every single player stayed put for an entire year, no?
You have 5,000 d1 basketball playas only 10 go to nba, its a non issue

You get 4 years of eligiblity, why do you need more? These guys with 5 or 6 years at it, often almost done with a masters when they finish don't need another year just for another shot at the tournament.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
I would welcome the tournament even if it was in July. A high school kid that their team qualified for the state tournament or a college team good enough to play in the Big Dance - those chances do not come along every year. But, living is more important - just have to rationalize that way.

But, I totally agree with the postponements until the world whips this virus.