Are you wearing a mask?

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated
Wish I could do that with a simple phone call, but online it appears like work to me.... Well worth $5 agreed!

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated
I wonder if the overwhelming majority number of people KNOW for a fact when and how they caught it.. I get the social distincing and staying home. But ??

MrTop

EOG Master
N95 respirators and surgical masks (face masks) are examples of personal protective equipment that are used to protect the wearer from airborne particles and from liquid contaminating the face. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) also regulate N95 respirators.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) does not recommend that the general public wear N95 respirators to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including coronavirus (COVID-19). The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus. However, as a reminder, CDC always recommends everyday preventive actions, such as hand washing, to help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases.

As I say (or said IIRC in the other thread), they don't have enough masks.

I don't run around trying to cull info and bookmark things to make a case for other folks on social media; I am trying to protect my life because I do have one outside of social media.

But, for me, I'm satisfied for my own personal situation from what I've read that I should wear a mask, and one that is effective against airborne viral exposure, when I'm out in public.

Again, for my own personal decision as to what I'm going to do, I believe that they're telling us to wash our hands and only do that because they don't have adequate supplies on hand for us to do anything else. I don't take the statements of a government, any government, at face value without question when it comes to my own personal safety.

Last edited:

MrTop

EOG Master
As I say (or said IIRC in the other thread), they don't have enough masks.

I don't run around trying to cull info and bookmark things to make a case for other folks on social media; I am trying to protect my life because I do have one outside of social media.

But, for me, I'm satisfied for my own personal situation from what I've read that I should wear a mask, and one that is effective against airborne viral exposure, when I'm out in public.

Again, for my own personal decision as to what I'm going to do, I believe that they're telling us to wash our hands and only do that because they don't have adequate supplies on hand for us to do anything else. I don't take the statements of a government, any government, at face value without question when it comes to my own personal safety.

when i was in the military they gave us a suit with head gear that covered the whole head...& body for virus/bio . I don't bother with a mask I think the n95 mask is worthless in this case.
I believe the gov't in this case ..They don't give the military in wars n95 mask... if you noticed putin on TV he had the whole body and head gear. Go to 3M website and the info is there about the mask. They sell them by the case large orders

Last edited:
Top, they're rationing N95 masks to get them to healthcare providers and only to those providers, so if N95 masks are worthless, those providers -- who are very much exposed to situations where the virus is present -- are fucked.

The N95 rating means that it filters at least 95% of airborne particles, which I doubt that anything else that I have does.

I also doubt that the existence of a military suit designed to protect against a weaponized biological and/or chemical gas attack -- which would be a nice albeit impractical thing to have -- necessarily leads to the the conclusion that an N95 mask is worthless.

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated
It's crazy to me... I'm normally a logical thinker...But for some reason, several years ago was in a hardware store for something absolutely NOTHING to do with a mask, etc.. I saw these things hanging in packs of 2 and whothe hell knows why, bought a pack.. Maybe there is a higher power . I have zero idea what possessed me to buy a pack.

MrTop

EOG Master
Top, they're rationing N95 masks to get them to healthcare providers and only to those providers, so if N95 masks are worthless, those providers -- who are very much exposed to situations where the virus is present -- are fucked.

The N95 rating means that it filters at least 95% of airborne particles, which I doubt that anything else that I have does.

I also doubt that the existence of a military suit designed to protect against a weaponized biological and/or chemical gas attack -- which would be a nice albeit impractical thing to have -- necessarily leads to the the conclusion that an N95 mask is worthless.

and the 5% ? did you ever think it is cheaper and guys like you ( attorneys ) ? :) it is called cover your ass what the hospitals are doing............I heard that NJ and other states are changing liability laws for hospitals for vent people

Last edited:
Yep, well you wear your theory, Top, and I'll wear my mask, to each his own.

The point about the viral incidence article I linked in the other thread is that it's about restricting the amount of viral exposure to below a level that your immune system then can stay ahead of. So, on that premise at least, breathing in 5% of airborne particulate matter tends to be better than breathing in instead 100%.

I'd be willing to bet -- since there's so little else to bet on these days -- that it's virtually impossible to seal oneself up to such an extent that one never will be exposed to even one single strand of the COVID-19 virus, or the influenza virus, etc. etc. But that's not necessary as our bodies routinely are exposed to low levels of all kinds of non-weapons grade pathogens that our immune system takes in stride. At least according to that article, the trick in this situation very likely is to not incur a rate of viral exposure that exceeds the capacity of your immune system to handle, on what can be a very bad little bug (well virus) if it enters your body in sufficient quantity to get the upper hand.

I hope it doesn't happen, but I'm waiting for this to wind up on the International Space Station, as it seems to have made its way out onto ships at sea, although, yes, likely via ports of call and/or incoming personnel/passengers.

As it is for us down here, even if one teleworks you still have to go out for food, etc., so one eventually must go out into a situation where the exposure risk potentially is higher.

MrTop

EOG Master
Yep, well you wear your theory, Top, and I'll wear my mask, to each his own.

The point about the viral incidence article I linked in the other thread is that it's about restricting the amount of viral exposure to below a level that your immune system then can stay ahead of. So, on that premise at least, breathing in 5% of airborne particulate matter tends to be better than breathing in instead 100%.

I'd be willing to bet -- since there's so little else to bet on these days -- that it's virtually impossible to seal oneself up to such an extent that one never will be exposed to even one single strand of the COVID-19 virus, or the influenza virus, etc. etc. But that's not necessary as our bodies routinely are exposed to low levels of all kinds of non-weapons grade pathogens that our immune system takes in stride. At least according to that article, the trick in this situation very likely is to not incur a rate of viral exposure that exceeds the capacity of your immune system to handle, on what can be a very bad little bug (well virus) if it enters your body in sufficient quantity to get the upper hand.

I hope it doesn't happen, but I'm waiting for this to wind up on the International Space Station, as it seems to have made its way out onto ships at sea, although, yes, likely via ports of call and/or incoming personnel/passengers.

As it is for us down here, even if one teleworks you still have to go out for food, etc., so one eventually must go out into a situation where the exposure risk potentially is higher.

agree that you cannot cover 100% your body, but a suit is the closest thing. without going into bathing, germ free room for x amount of days etc Immune system is huge agree. I just think with the 95% mask there is so much data that goes with that like washing hands, eyes coverage etc there is no way to tell if it works . Does 3M say yes? probably not.. of course they test......do they list? There are people dying with masks too I bet cause of other data. If anyone should use it is me... I go out , go everywhere. had TB and other health problems...i take many supplements .. i don't smoke or drink. I am not worried . Overall. This is part of living on the planet and I am sure I am going to die one day. That bet I know I won't lose.

mr merlin

EOG Master
The problem with this mask business is now they're gonna say, sure wear a mask it's better than nothing, , but in a week the wackos will say you "must" wear a mask.

MrTop

EOG Master
the day of a buffet could be over this year at many places. Come back next year or change the way the food is given out.

MrTop

EOG Master
The problem with this mask business is now they're gonna say, sure wear a mask it's better than nothing, , but in a week the wackos will say you "must" wear a mask.

my niece is a nurse.. she told me take Gatorade , Tylenol and vitamin c if i get it. I am doing everything but the meds right now. feel fine after a couple of days of coughs that went away

mr merlin

EOG Master
my niece is a nurse.. she told me take Gatorade , Tylenol and vitamin c if i get it. I am doing everything but the meds right now. feel fine after a couple of days of coughs that went away
Are you saying you think you have it?

kane

EOG master

I don't see it happening, but if every person wore a mask in public, and I do mean everyone, we would beat this thing a lot quicker

MrTop

EOG Master
I don't see it happening, but if every person wore a mask in public, and I do mean everyone, we would beat this thing a lot quicker

stay home like bill gates said... those masks won't work , the reason is you have to wear other things also on your body ........suits is the ideal thing but cannot get them as easy any more

fifty cint

EOG Dedicated
Went out this am and wore a mask.IF you would have told me that 3 weeks ago I would have said your nuts, Shits getting real

MrTop

EOG Master
Went out this am and wore a mask.IF you would have told me that 3 weeks ago I would have said your nuts, Shits getting real

the doctors don't have drugs to kill it which makes it tough. We would be in same situation with TB ( and i had that ) if they had no drugs.

mr merlin

EOG Master
If you're to believe the projections, we are approaching the peak, so it really doesn't matter what we do now, it really doesn't. Italy has been locked down since march 8th(I think), it's been 25 days and we've really seen very little evidence that it worked.(they also appear to have peaked)

Having people start wearing masks now would not show an effect for weeks(if at all), It just makes no sense, just as shutting down north dakota wont mean shit to NY(or anywhere else).

These hysterical reactions stem from a desperate need to do "something", the something we need to do is wait another 14-17 days. After that it should get a little bit better every week.

stay home like bill gates said... those masks won't work , the reason is you have to wear other things also on your body ........suits is the ideal thing but cannot get them as easy any more

Doctors have said suits on your body are a waste and probably increase your risk slightly because when you take them off you have a slight chance of getting the virus into a receptor, but your skin isn't a receptor. The chances of getting it from breathing in the virus is pretty low too when passing through, only chance of it is to be within 6 feet and the person is speaking or doing something to project the virus out such as coughing or sneezing.

Its good people are concerned, but frankly its not as easy or certain to be transmitted as some are making it out to be. Think about it, infected people have been into stores with over 100 customers and workers, yet didn't transmit it that way. If it is was such a certainty at least half those in the store should have gotten it. The fact that one infected is transmitting to 2-3 people, often including someone they live with, shows the community transmission part is vastly overrated. Wearing a mask is fine, but keep in mind the reason for masks isn't as much to keep you from getting it as it is to keep an infected person from spreading it.