MJ Is A Little Delusional About One More Year....

Heim

EOG Master
No way is anyone signing one year deals to try for another title. I think he's delusional that his greatness supersedes money.
Jordan would have to take a pay cut to sign everybody. He was willing to do that? Pippen, he wanted fair market value, he's
not signing for peanuts for a trophy, they were not giving it to him. Rodman was a FA headache and Kerr was traded. He's lucky
they won so many titles without tilting the salary structure until Jordan's last few years. Cuban won a title, he has all the money in
the world but he broke up the team because he didn't want to pay the big contracts. 6 titles in 8 years will never happen again.

It's not economically feasible.

P.S. So many out there believe he would have made a MLB roster eventually. Really!?

Last edited:

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
No way is anyone signing one year deals to try for another title. I think he's delusional that his greatness supersedes money.
Jordan would have to take a pay cut to sign everybody. He was willing to do that? Pippen, he wanted fair market value, he's
not signing for peanuts for a trophy, they were not giving it to him. Rodman was a FA headache and Kerr was traded. He's lucky
they won so many titles without tilting the salary structure until Jordan's last few years. Cuban won a title, he has all the money in
the world but he broke up the team because he didn't want to pay the big contracts. 6 titles in 8 years will never happen again.

P.S. So many out there believe he would have made a MLB roster eventually. Really!?
He probably would have. As a Sept call up novelty attraction.

MrTop

EOG Master
MJ had a lot of speed. I think he hit a few out in the minors ??? don't really remember. Could not hit. hands of stone. Cut him in bases. Not on my MLB team unless i want to put fannies in the seats late in the year after I lose september football.

Ted williams said it best. MJ will not make the MLB

Valuist

EOG Master
He never would've made the majors. Hitters with long arms get real long, slow swings. 3 HRs and a .203 BA is ok for a team's pitchers batting totals but not for an outfielder.

If they could've brought MJ, Pippen. Rodman and Phil back, hard to see anyone beating them. Wasn't 1998-1999 the strike season? Would've been perfect for a veteran team so their legs wouldn't have been tired. Was that a Spurs title year?

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
He never would've made the majors. Hitters with long arms get real long, slow swings. 3 HRs and a .203 BA is ok for a team's pitchers batting totals but not for an outfielder.

If they could've brought MJ, Pippen. Rodman and Phil back, hard to see anyone beating them. Wasn't 1998-1999 the strike season? Would've been perfect for a veteran team so their legs wouldn't have been tired. Was that a Spurs title year?

Yes it was.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I haven’t watched the last dance so I don’t know if it was covered. Krause gets credit for one thing overlooked by many - he stood up to Jordan on player moves. Jordan used to campaign for his boys to play in Chicago, especially if they were from UNC.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
MJ had about as good a chance of making the Chisox as Tim Tebow does/did the Mets.

Ain't gonna happen.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
He probably would have. As a Sept call up novelty attraction.

Keep in mind IF he was brought up that would have meant putting him on the 40-man roster which also meant dropping someone from the 40-man roster. And while I will grant you players 38-40 probably don't have much of a career with that club they are far better than anyone like MJ. So bringing him up would have meant cutting someone and that would not have been a good long-term move

I haven’t watched the last dance so I don’t know if it was covered. Krause gets credit for one thing overlooked by many - he stood up to Jordan on player moves. Jordan used to campaign for his boys to play in Chicago, especially if they were from UNC.

You really aren't missing much. It's nothing more than a ten hour infomercial created by his team to sell his brand to a younger generation that never got to see him play.

I give credit to MJ and his team because it's going to generate an obscene amount of money for them.

He had no chance to make the majors.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Based on his baseball skills? Agree.

But some team may have called him up based on other obvious motives. All it takes is one. See comments from Billy Beane.
I would have thought that with Tebow also. His name had some weight when he started in the minors (not like Jordan though).

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am

Perhaps the most underpaid player in the history of the LG.

kane

EOG master
Tebow has no MLB tool. MJ could have been a pinch runner. Stealing 30 isn't bad for a guy who hadn't played for 15 years or so. Either would only have been called up for sideshow.

Maybe, maybe not. How good was he at reading pitchers? How big of a lead would he have been comfortable taking? How good of a base runner was he? I don't even know how fast he was, don't know what type of instincts he had, there's a lot of factors that go into running the bases

Crazy Pete

EOG Addicted
Maybe, maybe not. How good was he at reading pitchers? How big of a lead would he have been comfortable taking? How good of a base runner was he? I don't even know how fast he was, don't know what type of instincts he had, there's a lot of factors that go into running the bases

Yes, many many factors involved, I could add a few more.
But I reject the whole premise of the claim: Jordan 30 steals vs 18 caught stealing is negative WAR, it actually HURTS the team.

bomzee

EOG Dedicated
I will ask a ( dumb?) question ;
Upon reflection why did MJ quit the NBA and do other things such as play baseball in the middle of his career?

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
I will ask a ( dumb?) question ;
Upon reflection why did MJ quit the NBA and do other things such as play baseball in the middle of his career?
I'm gonna go against the cynical theory that he was banned for gambling, and go with the story MJ's been consistant on. He was burned out, his dad was killed, and had always wanted MJ to play baseball. So he decided to honor his dad and try. The Last Dance really didn't clarify anything or bring in anything new that made me change my mind.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Perhaps the most underpaid player in the history of the LG.

During the 1997-98 NBA season, Pippen was the sixth-highest paid player on the team and the 122nd-highest paid player in the league.

Of course, Pippen at one point agreed to the horrible deal (seven years for $18 million).

Tsk tsk.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I just read it myself and he was clearly a better defender than MJ, I remember Raiders arguing this point w/ me and claimed I was the only person to believe that when I thought it was common knowledge.
They had different body makeups. Jordan played more deny where puppet could hold his position on D vs anyone. It’s ironic that the two players Jordan struggled with on D were very similar - Reggie Miller and Jeff Malone.

patswin

EOG Veteran
There are a few podcasts I listened to that had on Sam Smith, who wrote the infamous book " The Jordan Rules" that really let the world know what went on in the locker room. He basically said it was over after 97-98 season. No way they would/could have come back for one more year. He said Jordan cut his finger with a cigar cutter and could not grip a basketball plus it was the strike season. He also said when Phil took the job he only wanted to coach for 7 years. He agreed to coach longer after Riensdorf and the players asked him to come back. Basically Phil and MJ were burned out and needed a break. I think the podcast was with Bob Ryan. Everyone on the team knew that it was the last one together. I do not think another season was ever on the table

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I agree Pat, everyone knew it as the season progressed. Krause was obsessed with building the team his way. His “organizations win championships, not players” really resonated.

Valuist

EOG Master
I just read it myself and he was clearly a better defender than MJ, I remember Raiders arguing this point w/ me and claimed I was the only person to believe that when I thought it was common knowledge.

Pippen was a tremendous defender. Real long arms. Nobody played the passing lanes better.

The trio of Pippen/Jordan/Rodman has to be the best trio of individual defenders that I've ever seen.