HOW THE INDUSTRY HAS CHANGED IN THE LAST 15 YEARS.

rainbow

EOG Master
I was talking to a old time Bookie friend the other day that still deals with all CREDIT players and he was telling me how hard it was to COLLECT MONEY these days, he said them old days are over, I can remember how easy it was to collect MONEY back in those days, POST-UP is the only way to go these days unless you know who you dealing with...

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
When the cops started protecting the stiffs, that was pretty much the beginning of the end for credit guys. At least out west.

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
I talked to a VERY high profile Person in this Industry last week and he stated that he was tiring of credit. I am not 100% sure where he was coming from, but I think it had to do with settle figures and players not paying up when they get there, but drag it out until they are totally tapped, then just wanting to make payments or let it sit idle for awhile. If you play on credit there is a settle figure. Players should respect it.

The General said:
I talked to a VERY high profile Person in this Industry last week and he stated that he was tiring of credit. I am not 100% sure where he was coming from, but I think it had to do with settle figures and players not paying up when they get there, but drag it out until they are totally tapped, then just wanting to make payments or let it sit idle for awhile. If you play on credit there is a settle figure. Players should respect it.

15 years ago you could follow somebody and crack a head or two. Nowadays everybody has a cell phone. Somebody always calls the cops.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
Fifteen years ago you had a good chance of talking to an American clerk! And 90% of them were stuck!:cheers

rainbow,

I know some bookmakers who would say the opposite: That CREDIT is the only way to go these days....

I believe it really depends on what method the BM prefers and what he is better at...

Ken

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
THE SHRINK said:
rainbow,

I know some bookmakers who would say the opposite: That CREDIT is the only way to go these days....

I believe it really depends on what method the BM prefers and what he is better at...

Ken
All things being equal EVERY BM would prefer post-up but all things are never equal. :ftyankees

BADLIEUTENANT

EOG Enthusiast
THE SHRINK said:
rainbow,

Ken

SHRINK

Will you choose to expound on this subject or has it been taken far enough .Appreciate your input on the issue .

You just have to be more careful with credit these days. Keep guys on shorter leashes and check new guys out VERY carefully. A lot more stiffs these days, that is for sure. Also alot more professional cons around.

The Devil

EOG Master
Back in the 70's and 80's almost all my customers were honorable....shorted me, yes, but always paid......Nowadays, a good percentage of the customers are beat artists or just plain stiffs.......

The pros will always pay, but the big customers are usually trouble......

BADLIEUTENANT said:
SHRINK

Will you choose to expound on this subject or has it been taken far enough .Appreciate your input on the issue .

DELMAR & GRANDE immediately come to mind when I think of operators who prefer to deal with mainly CREDIT. Both HEADS know their customers well and they are thriving companies. CRIS is also another BM that has a great core of Credit players.

There is also a lot of FRAUD in the post up side with bonus whores, scheming, etc....

Bottom Line: There are risks with both methods, but I believe some bookmakers are better at booking Credit players and vice versa.. These are two different animals but each can be caged if managed well...

THE SHRINK

rainbow

EOG Master
THE SHRINK said:
rainbow,

Ken

The Bookmaker I talked to dont have any AGENTS they all INDEPENDENT..

wizofescazu

EOG Enthusiast
SHRINK..Credit world grows everyday, so does postup..Two different worlds..Both have there upsides and downsides..Just less agents writing their biz in the states..lots of price per head biz out there, and as a operator thats a big part of the biz today..

credit has always been the same, you must keep players on smart credit lines..The scammers are out there, you just need to know your players..Trust is built over time..yes there are books who prefer credit..You dont need banking solutions or payout depts..

Credit shops have become call centers creating a fullfillment for the agent..With the advancements in software, all a agent needs is a internet cafe or laptop and he is in the game..Today finding a call center is easy, but finding a competent one is tough..

Years ago you could have dinner in your own living room with 90% of your customer base..Today all these kids coming out of college are internet savvy, and would not even think of using a call center..But believe me if the same nice player walked into the corner bar, and a local got his biz and offerred credit, the kid is hooked..

Just one mans opinion..

Alan

EOG Enthusiast
Of course there is also the other side of the coin --- the player who always pays and has trouble with books. Player is sending money to a country that he might not can find on the map. On the surface this would seem to be simply crazy.

Many guys have great reputations --- The Greek and Henry to name a couple -- but what happens if they drop dead with your balance in their place. Is the next guy in line as honorable as they are reputed to be?

Who is certain that the book is not playing over their head? Playing with your money.

Until we have responsible legislatures and laws which will legalize and regulate as in Nevada and some countries around the world, we will always have questions about credit or post-up ---- from both sides of he counter

rainbow

EOG Master
Alan said:
Of course there is also the other side of the coin --- the player who always pays and has trouble with books. Player is sending money to a country that he might not can find on the map. On the surface this would seem to be simply crazy.

Many guys have great reputations --- The Greek and Henry to name a couple -- but what happens if they drop dead with your balance in their place. Is the next guy in line as honorable as they are reputed to be?

Who is certain that the book is not playing over their head? Playing with your money.

Until we have responsible legislatures and laws which will legalize and regulate as in Nevada and some countries around the world, we will always have questions about credit or post-up ---- from both sides of he counter
That's goes for every Bookie whenever he kicks the bucket, the bottomline Offshore Wagering has more to offer than your local bookie that's the main reason why people post-up offshore...

Alan

EOG Enthusiast
rainbow said:
That's goes for every Bookie whenever he kicks the bucket, the bottomline Offshore Wagering has more to offer than your local bookie that's the main reason why people post-up offshore...

my experience is more favorable offshore than with locals --- two locals have stiffed me for a total in excess of 25 dimes and I have only lost a few hundred offshore BUT that does not make me anymore comfortable because i know that I am going to pay and have provisions in place to pay even if I drop dead.

Until I am paid, I am never absolutely certain that I will be paid by any book. I can add that the same book has the same uncertainty about getting paid from me.

Credit digs holes for problem players --- but provides excellent flexibility for someone who is responible.

I have no idea how the cost of doing business compares from a credit operation with agents and a post-up shop. I would think that agents are suppling a good % of the book of business as they are bringing what used to be their local clients into a shop. Post-up cost of getting a client and keeping them has got to be very high.