Miami Marlins Clubhouse Infected...Home opener cancelled

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated
Jeff Passan reporting.

The number at 14 & the team staying in Philadelphia. Tonight's game vs Baltimore is cancelled.

Have to wonder now about the Phillies.

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated
Blakney, Ortiz, Timmons & Reyburn were the umpiring crew over the weekend.

Are they on the shelf for 14 days? Hoskins? Realmuto?

Phillies off until tomorrow when the Yankees travel in,... but will the Yankees want to play? That would require them using the visiting team clubhouse.

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated
Buster Olney

MLB and the players' union made the mutual decision to try to play a season this year, and those two entities share the ethical responsibility of pausing, postponing or cancelling if that's what is in the best interests of players and staffers. The Marlins' situation tests this.

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated
Jon Heyman

Phillies visiting clubhouse is being fumigated “50 different ways” with Marlins there all weekend as a Yankees prepare to go in there. Phils-Yanks hasn’t been canceled yet but it’s a possibility.

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated
Did the Braves infect the Marlins? They played Wednesday.

Atlanta lost both their starting & backup catcher.

Contact tracing here,...and what does Manfred do?

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated
Heyman

Discussions about whether to play Yankees-Phillies game are ongoing. Not canceled yet but seems like strong chance it will be. Phillies players aren’t reporting symptoms but they are awaiting test results (as of now they’ve had no positives since some on intake)

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
Jon Heyman

Phillies visiting clubhouse is being fumigated “50 different ways” with Marlins there all weekend as a Yankees prepare to go in there. Phils-Yanks hasn’t been canceled yet but it’s a possibility.
I have a feeling after this cleaning things will be fine. Mlb will have that locker room absolutely spotless.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
Heyman

Discussions about whether to play Yankees-Phillies game are ongoing. Not canceled yet but seems like strong chance it will be. Phillies players aren’t reporting symptoms but they are awaiting test results (as of now they’ve had no positives since some on intake)
Play in nyy.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Did the Braves infect the Marlins? They played Wednesday.

Atlanta lost both their starting & backup catcher.

Contact tracing here,...and what does Manfred do?
Typically there's at least a 5-7 day incubation period for the virus, or until you might test positive, so the marlins players likely caught it before the season started, perhaps a week ago.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
With 60 games in 66 days, any quarantine for a team up to a week making up those games would be virtually impossible. How many doubleheaders could you have? This does not bode well for the season concluding, nor even moving fo6 for that matter.

mr merlin

EOG Master
With 60 games in 66 days, any quarantine for a team up to a week making up those games would be virtually impossible. How many doubleheaders could you have? This does not bode well for the season concluding, nor even moving fo6 for that matter.
You play back ups, they might lose, they might not, it's baseball, anything can happen.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Almost half the roster is affected. Its not safe for those players diagnosed to play.
I thought they have 60 guys on their possible roster, that's plenty, isn't it? I understand they only have 29 active at one time, you adjust, that's the whole point of the 60 man expanded roster.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
I thought they have 60 guys on their possible roster, that's plenty, isn't it? I understand they only have 29 active at one time, you adjust, that's the whole point of the 60 man expanded roster.
The point is that it's unsafe for those players not affected to be playing in the first place. You're looking at a possible snowball effect as what's left of the season progresses. If games down the road are postponed due to long term quarantine, it screws up the season altogether given the time frame.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
Not even just players and staff. How about family members who visited them. How about hotel staff and guests. Anywhere they've been. Its just awful. This virus has ruined the world.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
Then you have kids running around in schools. If they do go back, its shitty and if they dont its shitty because some parents use school as a form of daycare.

LOL. Holy shit. I really dont have an answer to anything. Amazing times. Never in a million years did I think things would be this bad.

Stop being negative IWish! Well, WTF? HOW CAN YOU NOT WHEN EVERYTHING IS COMPLETELY FUCKED RIGHT NOW.

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated
The point is that it's unsafe for those players not affected to be playing in the first place. You're looking at a possible snowball effect as what's left of the season progresses. If games down the road are postponed due to long term quarantine, it screws up the season altogether given the time frame.

Yes and in addition to all that you mentioned,... what happens when more players start to ‘opt out’ over this?

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
I saw the word "postponed" when talking about the yanks/phils.

That gives me the idea that these non-divisional games are not going to be played.

Very interesting to see how this plays out.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Not even just players and staff. How about family members who visited them. How about hotel staff and guests. Anywhere they've been. Its just awful. This virus has ruined the world.
Isn't the point that no one gets sick from this , how many players in all these sports need to get it before people figure out it's a joke? 72 NFL players were positive last week, how many got sick, prob none, does it really matter?

mr merlin

EOG Master
if Summer sports cancel so will NFL
Baseball has a big decision to make, they can panic like many want, or they can keep playing and set an example that you move on, you endure. It is interesting that the people that want to quit are the same people that quit in all facets of life.

Ray Luca

EOG Master
Have to wonder where the players are in all this. Its def not the same watching. I imagine they feel its not the same playing in empty ballparks