Interesting note on the difference between a rigged election and a flawed election

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
From electoral-vote.com:

When Is an Election Rigged?
Edward Foley, a professor of constitutional law at Ohio State University, has written an important piece about how to tell the difference between an imperfect election and a rigged election. It should be required reading for all Trump supporters and maybe Biden supporters as well. The central premise is that all elections have flaws. None of them are perfect. But the key difference between a flawed election and a rigged election is that in the former, the people's choice won despite the flaws whereas in the latter (rigged election), the faults changed the winner.

The elections of 1876 and 1884 were incredibly close. Samuel Tilden (D) won the popular vote in 1876 and should have won the electoral vote but for multiple shenanigans. In the end, a congressionally appointed commission composed of eight Republicans and seven Democrats voted along party lines to hand Rutherford B. Hayes (R) the keys to the White House (in exchange for ending reconstruction). This was a rigged election. In 1884, (Stephen) Grover Cleveland (D) won New York over James Blaine (R) by 1,047 votes despite allegations of ballot stuffing and more. But in the end, the leading Republican newspaper of its time, the New York Tribune, concluded that despite all the irregularities, Cleveland really did get more legitimate votes in New York, so Blaine conceded. This was a flawed election, but not a rigged one.

Foley says that a core tenet of the American electoral system is this: "Not every defect in the voting process renders an election invalid." There are some points to absorb here. If a foreign adversary spews out disinformation and manages to convince a large number of voters to vote a certain way and they vote that way of their own free will, that does not invalidate the election. Of course, if the adversary hacks the computers and changes vote totals, that is a different story. Also, disenfranchisement of voters through the legal process (as in Florida, where an appeals court upheld a state law requiring felons to pay fees and costs before voting) may be abhorrent, but does not invalidate the election. After all, the state legislature that passed the law was elected by the people and the judges were appointed by elected presidents and confirmed by the Senate according to law.

This year again, there is sure to be disinformation, both foreign and domestic. But an argument that "the voters were too stupid to realize they were acting like useful idiots" doesn't cut it. On the other hand, if thousands of voters are illegally removed from the voting rolls by a partisan secretary of state and their absence was more than the margin of victory in that state, that would invalidate that state's results. Similarly, if the postmaster general decides not to postmark absentee ballots and they are subsequently rejected for lack of a postmark, that would invalidate the election if the number of rejected ballots exceeds the winner's margin. Another thing that would invalidate the election is not letting people who arrived before the polls closed but who were still standing on line due to chaos in the polling place at closing time cast their ballots.

Foley suggests that if the election is flawed, but not so much that it has to be thrown out (i.e., the flaws didn't change the winner), leaders of the loser's party should declare that the other party won, even if the candidate won't. Of course, if the flaws change the result, we are in deep doodoo. As (Z) has pointed out before, the South's refusal to accept the result of the 1860 election (not because it had irrefutable flaws, but because it didn't like the result), led to the deaths of 800,000 Americans (in the Civil War). There might be a lesson there. (V) (bolding, underling, and underlined parenthetical thoughts mine)

billysink

EOG Dedicated
Probably the least flawed election ever coming up due to the high number of mail in ballots. Pretty hard to monkey with those.

billysink

EOG Dedicated
Billy must be kidding.

Billy knows mail. Inside out, sideways and anything in between.

Not one person who cries about vote by mail has ever processed mail.

Not one reasonable example of high volume vote rigging, card manipulation, delay, forgery, theft.

It just don't work.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Billy knows mail. Inside out, sideways and anything in between.

Not one person who cries about vote by mail has ever processed mail.

Not one reasonable example of high volume vote rigging, card manipulation, delay, forgery, theft.

It just don't work.
That’s BS because once it’s delivered, it’s out of the USPS hands. If it’s delivered to an apartment complex, can you prove that every person got their ballot and each voted? I could take my mother’s and uncle’s ballots and vote for them. Right there is fraud outside of the USPS control.

MrTop

EOG Master
That’s BS because once it’s delivered, it’s out of the USPS hands. If it’s delivered to an apartment complex, can you prove that every person got their ballot and each voted? I could take my mother’s and uncle’s ballots and vote for them. Right there is fraud outside of the USPS control.

how does the IRS do it....? social security numbers. with address. Same way banks do it. Been working for years.

MrTop

EOG Master
There is a lot of fraud with tax filing now.

if they really want to do it they can ...you are living in dream land. It is how hard they want to try and how much money they want to spend. When is the last time the hackers broke into your bank and stole all your money ???

NEVER HAPPENED...

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
if they really want to do it they can ...you are living in dream land. It is how hard they want to try and how much money they want to spend. When is the last time the hackers broke into your bank and stole all your money ???

NEVER HAPPENED...
A friend‘s daughter had her bank account compromised Yesterday, lost everything.

BTW, i am for voting by mail. It has to be national under one system. Right now, this seems like a rush job with no real coordination.

mr merlin

EOG Master
A friend‘s daughter had her bank account compromised Yesterday, lost everything.

BTW, i am for voting by mail. It has to be national under one system. Right now, this seems like a rush job with no real coordination.
Was she cheated through a debit card?

MrTop

EOG Master

ATM'S can be hacked into with old software.. email tricks .otherwise do you think if they could get everyone's money ...why would they worry about elections.... ? they can do isolated attacks but nothing large scale with the banks. If they can send robots to mars they easily make the elections for everyone ....the question is do they really want to do it and how much would it cost.

billysink

EOG Dedicated

Doesn't happen. Each stolen card will get you 5 years and up to $250,000. USPS has it's own police force and they don't play. If a voter's card is in a mailbox of any kind it is USPS property. Complete with track and trace, security indicia, imaging and address verification.

You have never had a voter card stolen and reported, nor are you aware of any mass mail fraud that has influenced the result of an election.

I've overseen hundreds of these Reply Mail series, they run clean as a whistle. Theft or undeliverable basically non existent.

Trump's example was that kids run around the neighborhood stealing cards and bring them to a location where they are manipulated.

I lulzed. Hard.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/mail-in-vote-fraud-ballot.html

billysink

EOG Dedicated
BILLYSINK said "I lulzed. Hard."

...and then quoted the New York Times. seriously, he just quoted the NYT with a straight face, like that was news. and lulzed (hard) like he believed it. that's the level we're dealing with.

Hey dikkstikk. The article was dead on fact not some fukkin scenario out of the cloud of conservative conjecture.

I managed Multi Line optical readers, built mail plans, managed large local areas of collection and delivery. Value Stream process monkey.
I can pick up a piece of mail and tell you every stop it made, every employee who touched it along the way.

Your experience with male is infinitely greater than your knowledge of mail.

I couldn't give a lonely rat fukk if your "illection" was as dirty as your shorts guy, as a matter of fact I pray to the almighty that this election is so badly fukked up that you fukkin simpletons start shooting each other. The stupid side never wins that shit.

Long story short is the article is valid and you can go sukk a fukkin dikk

Stick to shit you know. Leggo or a bottle of glue or some shit.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Doesn't happen. Each stolen card will get you 5 years and up to $250,000. USPS has it's own police force and they don't play. If a voter's card is in a mailbox of any kind it is USPS property. Complete with track and trace, security indicia, imaging and address verification.

You have never had a voter card stolen and reported, nor are you aware of any mass mail fraud that has influenced the result of an election.

I've overseen hundreds of these Reply Mail series, they run clean as a whistle. Theft or undeliverable basically non existent.

Trump's example was that kids run around the neighborhood stealing cards and bring them to a location where they are manipulated.

I lulzed. Hard.

My point is just because its your return address doesn't mean you voted. There are also 50 sets of rules for 50 states, thats a huge no-no.

Then you have these cases - https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...ots-from-new-jersey-july-primary-found-in-bin

billysink

EOG Dedicated
My point is just because its your return address doesn't mean you voted. There are also 50 sets of rules for 50 states, thats a huge no-no.

Then you have these cases - https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...ots-from-new-jersey-july-primary-found-in-bin

As soon as you report your card stolen and your identity is verified, the card is cancelled. The vote is void..

50 different sets of state rules has no effect on one federal mail service, mail processing does not change from state to state.

Every time someone steals a voter card, it is a federal offence. How many federal offenses have to be committed, without being caught, to swing a presidential election in someone's favor? There's a real good reason that no election has been reported as tainted by mail in ballots. You would need to steal thousands of ballots, flawlessly, fill them out manually, forge every signature impeccably, mail them all in different street letter boxes to avoid detection and hope no one calls in a theft. Everything is track and trace, from the time the cards are printed to the time the vote arrives at count.

Can you steal a voter's card? Most certainly, happens on a very limited basis.

Can you swing an election, stealing voter's cards? No, the process is pretty tight, the risk is not worth the return , detection is as easy as picking up the phone and cancellation is immediate.

As far as the article in the link, that mismanagement has nothing to do with the vote by mail process, those cards were mishandled by elections officials after delivery, I gave no idea what goes on in that process.

billysink

EOG Dedicated
2 friends of mine each received 3 ballots.

So what?

They can only have one validated in the tabulating system, the other two cancel.

Any of you guys know how shit work before you run around screaming about it?

Alfred you think voter cards are unsafe because you were told to think voter cards are unsafe.

alfie

EOG Dedicated
So what?

They can only have one validated in the tabulating system, the other two cancel.

a card in my life
Alfred you think voter cards are unsafe because you were told to think voter cards are unsafe.

this happened in a state don't live in and didn't ask questions.. we all just laughed. i never saw a voter card in my life. not a registered voter......

anything else or am i screaming too loud..........

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
So what?

What if the other two were supposed to go to other people?

I thought the D’s were against voters cards anyway?

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
One more thing that’s crap - allowing late ballots to count. If they cannot get their ballots mailed inby the weekend to arrive on Election Day, they shouldn’t count.

mr merlin

EOG Master
One more thing that’s crap - allowing late ballots to count. If they cannot get their ballots mailed inby the weekend to arrive on Election Day, they shouldn’t count.
Unless if your goal is to cheat, and you wont know how many ballots to add until election day..."looks like we need another 70,000 votes guys, go get them"

billysink

EOG Dedicated
What if the other two were supposed to go to other people?

I thought the D’s were against voters cards anyway?

Misdeliveries are returned to manual sort. A simple phone call can solve that issue, if not returned

As far as the Democrat position on Voter Cards, I have no clue.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Misdeliveries are returned to manual sort. A simple phone call can solve that issue, if not returned

As far as the Democrat position on Voter Cards, I have no clue.
Do you think there will be misdeliveries on election ballots and they will be returned to manual sort in a country that will do anything to make sure Trump is out? How many people have posted that the election is about getting Trump out only?

billysink

EOG Dedicated
Do you think there will be misdeliveries on election ballots and they will be returned to manual sort in a country that will do anything to make sure Trump is out? How many people have posted that the election is about getting Trump out only?

Normal return rate for those is high, not like census cards which usually get tossed.

Brother I cannot be more explicit than to tell you stolen or mis delivered voters cards are absolutely useless as a means to sway a state or federal election.

If you somehow figured a way to steal 10,000 voters cards, 9800 of them would be reported as not received and instantly canceled. Who in their right mind would commit 10,000 separate federal felonies for nothing?

Never happened, never will.

billysink

EOG Dedicated
Telling the whole nation vote by mail is corrupt, without any proof and using the alleged corrupt process to cast your own vote is pretty fair.

Last edited:

Bigrunner

EOG Master
Pinocchio gives another gift to Russia. Putin wants chaos in America especially American election. Trump is giving him that. Why would an American president ever do that? Obviously Trump is not loyal to America.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Good thing we are not letting illegals in the country at this time. They may try to overthrow the government.

alfie

EOG Dedicated
Migrant caravan of 2,000 Hondurans heading to US despite COVID-19 threat
The group crossed the border pushing past outnumbered Guatemalan police and soldier

Bigrunner

EOG Master
Poor Dumb Alfie. That's all Trump talked about prior to the 2018 midterms. He was giving us daily updates about the Caravan. Then what happened? The threat of the Caravan was misinformation. Justice Thomas's wife was posting pictures from 2010 claiming it was the current Caravsn. 11 Americans were killed in a pro immigrant pro refugee Pittsburgh synagogue and 20 Americans were killed at an El Paso Walmart. Both massacres were inspired by Trumps evil false rhetoriric. From what Dumb Alfie is claiming it sounds like the RepubliCons will be using the same strategy of attacking migrants and refugees. Desperate. Rinse and repeat.

RepubliCons