Old Alan Boston story

ZzyzxRoad

EOG Dedicated
Years ago, he was at the house of an acquaintance of mine. He had a "pill" that might have been Amyl Nitrate that he wanted to snort. He went into the study to get some privacy. The homeowner had a very expensive desk that cost more than 10,000, and there was a golf ball mounted on the wall from a hole in one he had hit at Shadow Creek. Boston takes the golf ball down and starts using it to mash the pill against the desk, and when he was finished, the desk was badly scratched.
The homeowner comes in and yells, "ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MIND? What have you done to my desk?"
Boston tells him, "You should be honored. Years from now, you'll be able to point at that scratch and tell people that the world's greatest sports bettor did drugs in here."

kane

EOG master
Great story Benny, I remember when you used to post a lot of interesting stories at other forums, wish you would get back to that, this AB one is a classic

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Boston did not like Shrink all that much. I have no idea how it happened but somehow I got a phone number for Alan. Ken asked me to call AB and ask for something. I forget whether it was to appears on the radio show Ken did or for the bash he held when "across the street" or............whatever. But for Ken - sure. I'll do it. So I call AB and he answers. I tell him who I am and stuff like that.

AB really wants nothing to do with Ken and politely says so. But while talking he asks me to hold on for a second. I do and I hear him call in a few bets on that days CBB card. I make sure to note what they were. Eventually the call ends.

I call Shrink and explain how AB was not willing to do whatever it is Ken wanted me to ask AB to do. HOWEVER.............I did tell Ken about the 2 bets AB made. We are no dummies and we both bet the games. One of them won by 20+. The other was a 50/50 game but we ended up on the right side of the coin flip.

This was a good 15+ years ago but I never forgot making the call and all that happened with the 2 games

railbird

EOG Master
Boston did not like Shrink all that much. I have no idea how it happened but somehow I got a phone number for Alan. Ken asked me to call AB and ask for something. I forget whether it was to appears on the radio show Ken did or for the bash he held when "across the street" or............whatever. But for Ken - sure. I'll do it. So I call AB and he answers. I tell him who I am and stuff like that.

AB really wants nothing to do with Ken and politely says so. But while talking he asks me to hold on for a second. I do and I hear him call in a few bets on that days CBB card. I make sure to note what they were. Eventually the call ends.

I call Shrink and explain how AB was not willing to do whatever it is Ken wanted me to ask AB to do. HOWEVER.............I did tell Ken about the 2 bets AB made. We are no dummies and we both bet the games. One of them won by 20+. The other was a 50/50 game but we ended up on the right side of the coin flip.

This was a good 15+ years ago but I never forgot making the call and all that happened with the 2 games
shrink blindsided ab on behalf of fezzik on eog radio. i think shrink was frustrated that he couldnt get ab to post at rx,

railbird

EOG Master
When i played in the us open of paddle tennis in 2008 at red rock, ab invited me over to his hi ouse and then we went out for dinner. Was very nice to me. nice guy was very fit and he shouwed me how to balance on a medicine ball. lived on badlands golf course at the time.

ZzyzxRoad

EOG Dedicated
When i played in the us open of paddle tennis in 2008 at red rock, ab invited me over to his hi ouse and then we went out for dinner. Was very nice to me. nice guy was very fit and he shouwed me how to balance on a medicine ball. lived on badlands golf course at the time.

So...... you went out to dinner with a gay man.
Interesting. Are you being euphemistic when you talk about balancing on the medicine ball?

Heim

EOG Master
Last time I saw Alan he had cases of diet Red Bull in his fridge and a totaled Ferrari in the garage....had some great Chinese food delivered, AB giving a $50 tip... naturally AB topped off the evening doing a line of coke with a shot of tequila.

My wife freaked when he asked if we wanted some. Vegas baby!

Heim

EOG Master
Alan has done a lot for young adults coming from broken homes.....housed them, fed them, paid for school, books....caddied of them on the golf course. A great humanitarian. :)

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
Alan is working more closely with the Three Man Weave group.

His CBB is going to be better yet.

Alan is all about the numbers and the 3 Man weave guys are about knowing the individual players.

Just saying pay close attention to AB's plays this upcoming season.

railbird

EOG Master
Alan is working more closely with the Three Man Weave group.

His CBB is going to be better yet.

Alan is all about the numbers and the 3 Man weave guys are about knowing the individual players.

Just saying pay close attention to AB's plays this upcoming season.
ill bet the dont. I like it when people like boston and ras move the line, the fade is always better than the original bet.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
Maybe, Winky knows the story but I still laugh at the punch line. Somebody on a forum asked Boston if he thought Shrink was a good sports bettors? Boston’s answer was, “who the Fvck is the Shrink”?

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Maybe, Winky knows the story but I still laugh at the punch line. Somebody on a forum asked Boston if he thought Shrink was a good sports bettors? Boston’s answer was, “who the Fvck is the Shrink”?

I recall a comment somewhat like this so it sounds true but I can't 100% confirm it. Although when I called AB he did know who Shrink was

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Some great stories here.

Alan Boston sometimes flashed a maniacal look coupled with a crazy stare.

The last time I saw the look was a March night in 2003.

On the Stardust Line radio show, Dave Cokin proclaimed in his raspy voice, "Syracuse has a legitimate chance to win the NCAA men's basketball tournament."

A crazed, glazed look came over Boston's eyes and he barked out, "If Syracuse wins the national title, I'll buy you lunch every day for the rest of your life."

Cokin is still waiting for his first free lunch.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Some great stories here.

Alan Boston sometimes flashed a maniacal look coupled with a crazy stare.

The last time I saw the look was a March night in 2003.

On the Stardust Line radio show, Dave Cokin proclaimed in his raspy voice, "Syracuse has a legitimate chance to win the NCAA men's basketball tournament."

A crazed, glazed look came over Boston's eyes and he barked out, "If Syracuse wins the national title, I'll buy you lunch every day for the rest of your life."

Cokin is still waiting for his first free lunch.

I remember this show like it was yesterday.

Boston is so blinded by his prejudices that he was a great fade (I cashed a nice future bet on 3 seeded Syracuse despite several very close games). One comment he made on the show was this classic: "Syracuse can't play a lick!" I think Carmelo Anthony, Hakim Warrick and Gerry McNamara might not agree with that.

Even after Syracuse won it all, later on Boston exhibited another nasty old trait, he never would admit to being wrong.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

Boston is so blinded by his prejudices that he was a great fade (I cashed a nice future bet on 3 seeded Syracuse despite several very close games). One comment he made on the show was this classic: "Syracuse can't play a lick!" I think Carmelo Anthony, Hakim Warrick and Gerry McNamara might not agree with that.

If you can find this with anyone, you'll need a bigger wallet to keep the extra cash in.

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!
I recall a comment somewhat like this so it sounds true but I can't 100% confirm it. Although when I called AB he did know who Shrink was

Wink, remember Jon in Oakland? He had that Saturday night conference call where Alan would go over the days results and look at Sunday as well. I remember Alan popping off about Ken on that call. Saying Ken called him to post at EOG and Alan replied “who the fuck are you”

texaswizzard

EOG Dedicated
While Alan Boston was bright he held too many grudges against coaches and players. He hasn't had an edge in over 15 years. Another guy who is hot air is Bill Krackomberger. Just listen to the guy. He doesn't have a good opinion about anything. He might be following someone else who's smart but if he had to pick winners on his own he'd have a better chance betting Donald Trump to win the election as winning betting on sports. First time I saw Trump interviewed over 40 plus years ago I could tell he was a fraud too. How can't 90% of the public figure this shit out. It's easy!

Drewphin0

EOG Addicted
So alan boston was never good at cbb then? I assume he was years ago before technology and everything came into play?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Even after Syracuse won it all, later on Boston exhibited another nasty old trait, he never would admit to being wrong.

Alan rarely copped to his mistakes but when he did, the situation was always memorable.

I chuckled whenever he said, "I should contract cancer after losing that bet."

To TEXASWIZARD's point, Alan had a hard time keeping track of his biases/grudges.

In the early 2000's, Wayne Morgan was an African-American head coach at Long Beach State at a time when the 49ers were dominating the Big West.

"Morgan's a genius" was Alan's standard line when talking LBSU hoops.

In 2003, Wayne Morgan climbed the coach's ladder to land a big job at Iowa State.

Iowa State failed to gel in his first season there and Morgan quickly came under fire in Ames.

Boston's response: "Morgan's an idiot."

Wayne Morgan went from a genius to an idiot in less than a year.

Last edited:

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Alan rarely copped to his mistakes but when he did, the situation was always memorable.

I chuckled whenever he said, "I should contract cancer after losing that bet."

To TEXASWIZARD's point, Alan had a hard time keeping track of his biases/grudges.

In the early 2000's, Wayne Morgan was an African-American head coach at Long Beach State at a time when the 49ers were dominating the Big West.

"Morgan's a genius" was Alan's standard line when talking LBSU hoops.

In 2003, Wayne Morgan climbed the coach's ladder to land a big job at Iowa State.

Iowa State failed to gel in his first season there and Morgan quickly came under fire in Ames.

Boston's response: "Morgan's an idiot."

Wayne Morgan went from a genius to an idiot in less than a year.

Wayne Morgan never was a genius. I saw him coach against my Titans. he "messed up" more often than Peter North. Like Mike Brown - he only got hired because of his skin color