Favorite college football helmets

Mine is Michigan

I've heard this story before but was unable to verify the authenticity. I heard the design of Michigans helmets was it was the seam patterns in the leather helmet days and was implemented to helps the quarterback to better identify the WR's

E88CEC75-D2A5-439C-A840-BA9C8948CF2E.jpeg

Last edited:

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Mine is Michigan

I've heard this story before but was unable to verify the authenticity. I heard the design of Michigans helmets was it was the seam patterns in the leather helmet days and was implemented to helps the quarterback to better identify the WR's

http://tourtheten.com/articles/history-of-michigans-winged-helmet/

The tradition started in 1938 when Herbert “Fritz” Crisler left Princeton University to coach football at the University of Michigan. When he arrived on campus in Ann Arbor, he brought his winged helmet concept, which he developed at Princeton, along with him. At the time, Michigan’s helmet was a plain black and brown leather helmet. Crisler’s new design consisted of a blue helmet with a maize (yellow) wing, and three stripes running to the back of the helmet. One of the benefits of the new helmets was to assist the quarterback find his receivers downfield. In the debut game of Michigan’s winged helmet, the Wolverines shut out the Michigan State Spartans 14-0 on October 1st, 1938.

http://tourtheten.com/articles/history-of-michigans-winged-helmet/

The tradition started in 1938 when Herbert “Fritz” Crisler left Princeton University to coach football at the University of Michigan. When he arrived on campus in Ann Arbor, he brought his winged helmet concept, which he developed at Princeton, along with him. At the time, Michigan’s helmet was a plain black and brown leather helmet. Crisler’s new design consisted of a blue helmet with a maize (yellow) wing, and three stripes running to the back of the helmet. One of the benefits of the new helmets was to assist the quarterback find his receivers downfield. In the debut game of Michigan’s winged helmet, the Wolverines shut out the Michigan State Spartans 14-0 on October 1st, 1938.
Thanks FW

ALways liked the helmets that had the merit stickers on them. Besides them, liked ASU when they had Sparky the Sun Devil with the pitchfork.

Thank you!!! I’m an ASU alum and loved the sparky and hate the pitch fork. Almost every Sun Devil fan feels the same exact way