WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH NAGY?

blueline

EOG Master
Im fine with it.Zero timeouts left bad call...with the one timeout left try and cross them up and end the game

Valuist

EOG Master
Im fine with it.Zero timeouts left bad call...with the one timeout left try and cross them up and end the game

Maybe with a more accurate QB, although that was on Robinson, not Foles. Can't risk the clock stoppage. Mistake by Nagy.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Meanwhile ex-Bears Davis, Burton, and Shaheen score TDs for the 2nd week in a row. They can barely score 20 in a league that requires you to score 30.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
The defense is real good though. Foles just have to be average for them to be a playoff team.
It is, but all we hear is how Nagy was calling the plays at the end in KC. His supposed strength looks no different than the last 50 years of Bears offenses. They ran for 63 yards against a bottom 5 rush D yesterday. The schedule gets much harder now.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
I enjoy Tom Petty's music.

I wouldn't be comfortable in a playoff game if the Bears were up 3 late. You simply cant pass the ball in those situations in the past couple games. You force Bridgewater to go 80 yards or more for a TD with 1:50 left with 0 timeouts.

If this was a playoff game, what would you do? If your defense is so big and bad like they say, try to score a TD on us with 0 timeouts and less than 2 minutes.

Unnecessary drama due to brainfarts in coaching.

bobodad

EOG Addicted
100% true. I hate Conservative Coaching as much as anyone, but sometimes being conservative/conventional is the right thing to do.

Yesterday Houston score a TD with 1:50 left in the game. Instead of kicking an extra point to go up by 8, they tried for 2 and failed. Tennessee promtly scored a TD and added an extra point, and won in overtime. This is agressive or dumb coaching by Houston?? Well, I cannot blame Bill O'Brien this time.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Yesterday Houston score a TD with 1:50 left in the game. Instead of kicking an extra point to go up by 8, they tried for 2 and failed. Tennessee promtly scored a TD and added an extra point, and won in overtime. This is agressive or dumb coaching by Houston?? Well, I cannot blame Bill O'Brien this time.
I get the point of trying to win with the 2 up 7, but the worst thing that could happen is Tenn scoring a TD, converting the 2, then having to win in OT. You only have to score 1-2 times while Tenn has to score 3 times. If you can't do that, you don't deserve to win anyway.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!
Agree. With no timeouts you are literally giving away 40 seconds but with them having a timeout still you are just giving them 1 timeout which obv isn't as big as 40 seconds for the team with the ball.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!
No issue with that call.

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
gree. With no timeouts you are literally giving away 40 seconds but with them having a timeout still you are just giving them 1 timeout which obv isn't as big as 40 seconds for the team with the ball.

Each timeout is worth 40 seconds. An incomplete pass gives them an extra 40 seconds.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!
Each timeout is worth 40 seconds. An incomplete pass gives them an extra 40 seconds.
Not even close when you are on offense trying to go fast. Now a timeout is worth 15 seconds or less. A timeout is worth 40 seconds to the team trying to run out the clock, not the team trying to go fast.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Not even close when you are on offense trying to go fast. Now a timeout is worth 15 seconds or less. A timeout is worth 40 seconds to the team trying to run out the clock, not the team trying to go fast.
Correct. 40 seconds to the team going fast could have 6-8 plays. If you have money on it, it’s an eternity.

I think people, even those working and playing in the NFL, misunderstand absolute probability. And when we lose bets because of it then it drives us 10x as mad.

Absolute probability is different than what's the success rate of something. If you achieve something and that ends the game, that's a lot more important than doing the math of what's our success rate on 4th down or what are the potential outcomes if we go for 1 or 2 here in a game where we still have to score again. If something is 90% likely, but then followed by a 25% chance of recovered kick and then a 5% chance of a hail mary working, well that math and the decision making on the 90% action is kind of minor. But if you say we have a 40% chance of success on third down which if it happens is 100% likely we win, that's where you can't get the decision wrong. And then to make sure you get the 100% right, you have to tell all your players look we want exactly this outcome. Don't run with the ball, fall to the ground right away once you have certain first down yardage. These guys can't help themselves with their stat padding, but running it in for a score or even running with any threat of a fumble makes 100% outcomes become 95% outcomes.

Foresthill

EOG Addicted

Correct. 40 seconds to the team going fast could have 6-8 plays. If you have money on it, it’s an eternity.

I was writing about time not plays. Used properly timeouts give you an extra 40 seconds to run as many plays as you can fit in, if you get out of bounds and make first downs (don't make a first down, four plays is the most you get). My rule of them for that is plus or minus 7 seconds. So in 40 seconds you could run about six plays if you get out of bounds going forwards-- which is a huge if -- and make first downs.

Also, if timeouts are used incorrectly, they don't save you any time at all. For instance, calling timeout when the clock is already stopped.

Valuist

EOG Master
Why would Nagy NOT call a timeout late in the first half? Make the Rams punt....maybe a bad snap or a blocked punt. You have nothing to lose.