Interesting clip about disgraced NBA ref Tim Donaghy

Rockfish

EOG Addicted
Mr Bowling, if you want to read more on this story ESPN wrote a well researched story on July 9 2020 titled " How former ref Tim Donaghy conspired to fix NBA games".

Donaghy is a arrogant lying jerkoff. He is also a rat. After he was arrested he didn't hesitate one second to sing to the FBI. He testified against his gambling partners and long time friends that he grew up with. To this day Donaghy contends that it was his great handicapping ability that won him the games he was betting which is laughable.

A good book about the scandal is Gaming the Game by Sean Griffin. That book also gives great insight into the world of groups that move large money in sports.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Thanks for sharing, 300.

I agree with ROCK.

Donaghy is a cheat and a rat.

The way I saw the story: Donaghy lost $227,000 to Batista's boys on football and baseball wagers and paid off his debt by touting NBA games in which he manipulated.

Donaghy's biggest break was the clueless FBI special agent (Philip Scala) assigned to the case.

Rockfish

EOG Addicted
Jimmy "the sheep" Battista who was part of Tiger's group has had an interesting life in sports gambling. He had his flaws and has gone off and lost large sums playing on his own but, when the feds came in he didn't help himself by turning against his longtime friends that he grew up with. That deserves some respect.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
Mr Bowling, if you want to read more on this story ESPN wrote a well researched story on July 9 2020 titled " How former ref Tim Donaghy conspired to fix NBA games".

Donaghy is a arrogant lying jerkoff. He is also a rat. After he was arrested he didn't hesitate one second to sing to the FBI. He testified against his gambling partners and long time friends that he grew up with. To this day Donaghy contends that it was his great handicapping ability that won him the games he was betting which is laughable.

A good book about the scandal is Gaming the Game by Sean Griffin. That book also gives great insight into the world of groups that move large money in sports.
Agreed.

VERY good book to read.

Not sure how this hasn't been turned into a TV movie yet.

Maybe it has and I missed it. If so I hope someone lets me know.

Rockfish

EOG Addicted
i should add. Don't waste your time reading the book Donaghy wrote. it is self serving, and a lot of fiction to make himself look like a victim. He tries to make himself look like a good guy to the reader and he is the opposite of that.

i have been around gamblers all my adult life. Donaghy is the kind of guy that brags to people how good of a bettor he is than comes up with all kinds of outlandish reasons why he won't pay his bookie. i know the type.

railbird

EOG Master
with the huge influx of Black refs and influx of legal sports books, you know their is rampant fixing and manipulation going on more so than ever. players and refs. in mma, tennis, soccer, basketball the most. maybe golf since golfers are notorious for gambling. womens sports the least.

Don Eagleston

EOG Addicted
Tim's father, Jerry, was a very good college basketball ref back in the day. The Delaware Cty (Philly) connection that helped bring Timmy to the top also brought him down. See, eg., Jake O'Donnell, the Crawfords, Billy Oakes, Joe Gushue, Steve Javie, Jack Madden. They honed their craft in the Philly summer leagues.

spgauthor

EOG Member

Thanks for the interest and support! A lot of travel and research went into that project. If ever interested in a comprehensive evidence-based analysis debunking Donaghy's nonsensical, demonstrably-false and self-serving claims (I didn't explicitly do this in Gaming the Game), you can view this on my site.

spgauthor

EOG Member
Agreed.

VERY good book to read.

Not sure how this hasn't been turned into a TV movie yet.

Maybe it has and I missed it. If so I hope someone lets me know.
Thanks! FYI, there have been several efforts re tv and film behind the scenes since 2011. Alas, each has run into various problems (most typically when producers wish to stray from what actually happened into sensationalized conspiracy bs). Another is currently being considered so we shall see.

spgauthor

EOG Member
Thanks for sharing, 300.

I agree with ROCK.

Donaghy is a cheat and a rat.

The way I saw the story: Donaghy lost $227,000 to Batista's boys on football and baseball wagers and paid off his debt by touting NBA games in which he manipulated.

Donaghy's biggest break was the clueless FBI special agent (Philip Scala) assigned to the case.
Hello. Re Scala, if interested I critique his involvement in the story and in the media fallout since 2009 in respective analyses here and here.

Heim

EOG Master
It's surprising Foster escaped expulsion from the Association.

Geez all those texts from Donaghy before the games they reffed.

Foster was a co-conspirator. And no Chris Paul hasn't hacked my account

Last edited: