2021-2022 NHL Thread

Bushay

NHL Expert
Death, taxes, and the Leafs losing an elimination game
I really thought this was the year. Their best chance to close it out was in game 6. Just couldn't slay that beast. Vasilevskiy record in elimination games is crazy good. Hasek like numbers. Wasn't even him really though. They couldn't get a shot past the team in from of him in that 3rd period. They seem ripe now for a letdown after that, and now face their cross-state rival in the Panthers who have been waiting for this oppertunity. Would then need to likely beat the Avs. Tip of the cap if they are still standing and can get the three-peat. Fantastic job building that team in a salary cap world.

choslamshe

EOG Master
Rangers looking great after 40 minutes. Could easily be 4-0 if not for Raanta.

Cannot wait for the Battle of Alberta. I think the Flames are built to destroy them but hope the Oil find something magical...

Bushay

NHL Expert
Taking Leafs over 6 in Zona tonight. Will be a gong show game.
Can you believe Holland -Oilers (and others) are seriously looking at Kane?
Here’s 3 pretty good reasons why. And they wouldn’t do it if McDavid and Drasetti wouldn’t signed off on the signing. They are desperate at this point and have little to lose but cash.
[IMG alt="thehockeywriters.com"]https://s3951.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Evander-kane-Sharks.jpg[/IMG]

Oilers Have 3 Good Reasons to Go Out and Acquire Evander Kane

On the surface, trying to acquire Evander Kane is a mistake. But, if he becomes a UFA, there are three good reasons the Oilers should try.
[IMG alt="thehockeywriters.com"]https://s3951.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/cropped-New_Logo_THW-32x32.png[/IMG] thehockeywriters.com

Kane pickup making Holland look like a genius and may very well have saved his butt from getting canned. 3 goals tonight, 6 sog, and 10 hits. Not to mention the guy protecting McDavid allowing him to do things hockey fans have never witnessed before. I heard a TSN talking head say this game and playoffs just earned him a multi-million dollar contract next season. Though I wouldn't pay this POS anything. Was a fantastic move and a no-brainer nonetheless.

sharky99

EOG Dedicated
Avs and Oilers should be a fun series to watch

Rangers and Canes going to game 7

Both team monsters in game 7s in recent years

Canes have won 6 straight game 7s

Rangers 7-1 in their last game 7s

Who ya got?

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
I will take Igor over Raanta. In the 3 losses at Carolina, Igor played well, only allowing 5 regulation time goals. Rangers 4-1, with either 1 or 2 empty netters.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Hard not to take TB in the finals at +150.

Agree but I am not taking this price.

I have Vasilevsky +550 to win Conn Smythe. I know Hedman might be slightly above him for CS but there is a 0% chance Tampa wins the Cup unless Vasilevsky is the best Tampa player so the way I look at it: I have Tampa +550 for the series

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Tampa looks slow to me

Maybe but they did not look slow against the Leaves or Panthers. I think the way the Rangers played made Tampa look slow. If they are slow against the Avs they will get swept. I don't see that happening. I think we see a faster Tampa team against a team that will make the game more wide open than NYR wanted it.

Bushay

NHL Expert
TB in 6, possibly 5. They are simply better in every aspect of the game than Colorado.

Coaching
Goaltending
Team defense
Injuries
Stanley Cup experience
Size

One disadvantage is they do not have home ice. One less game at home than on the road. Will only be a factor if the series goes to 7. Which I doubt.

Yes, Colorado may be somewhat faster, and that can be huge. But not against this team. They are too fundamentally sound.
Colorado is a high-scoring team in reg and these playoffs. But who did they face? Nashville's backup, St Louis without Binnington and Mike Smith who is a huge head case. They now face the best goalie in the league in great form. Avs without Kadri and even more importantly Girard will catch up with them. If Point plays it only makes things worse for the Avs.

Neveragain

EOG Dedicated
Couple of other stats to consider.
1) In heads up play, the Avalanche beat the Lightning in both regular season games.
2) Playoff goal differential had Colorado +25 (65-40) and Lightning only +11 (52-41)

My take is that goaltending will decide the series.
Can Colorado overcome their clear disadvantage between the pipes?
Prediction Av’s in 7.

bobodad

EOG Addicted
Tampa looks slow to me

I totally agreed. After watching the Colorado / Edmonton series, the Eastern Conference finalists appeared to be skating in a snail pace. NY Rangers' tactic of clogging up the centre ice and hitting the Lightning big guns at every opportunity, added on the tremendous goaltending from Igor Shesterkin, almost stole the series. The Pat Maroon line played a strong series, and contributed important goals. The Avalanche is very fast, and is the most skilled team in the league. With Girard out for the season, their defense is average. If Kadri would miss any extended time, they definitely need solid or even outstanding goaltending if they want to take down Tampa. Unlike the NBA, I do not think home field is a big advantage. Both of these teams have proven they can win on the road. I have a future on Colorado winning the cup at +325 before the playoff starts. I do not like the final series price of -190. I think there is good value on the series to go over 5.5 games -150 (BetRivers, Northstar Bets). All I need here is for both teams to win two games in the series, and I truly think both are capable of doing that.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Couple of other stats to consider.
1) In heads up play, the Avalanche beat the Lightning in both regular season games.
2) Playoff goal differential had Colorado +25 (65-40) and Lightning only +11 (52-41)

My take is that goaltending will decide the series.
Can Colorado overcome their clear disadvantage between the pipes?
Prediction Av’s in 7.

If the series goes 7 - knowing what Vasilevsky is like in close out games no way I would think of betting anything but Tamp

sharky99

EOG Dedicated
Looking for Kuch to have a good game tonight so going with these

Kucherov over 0.5 assists -118 1 unit pinny

Kucherov over 0.5 goals +171 1 unit pinny

67-55-3
total +10.78 units

Bushay

NHL Expert
When he goes, the team goes. I was pouring over his fancy stats numbers last night. Damn near every game they won he was in the +. And just the opposite for the losses. Games 2 and 4. Though injuries played a big part in their game 4 numbers.

Bushay

NHL Expert
Interesting stat i've come across.
Makar + -throughout the year +48, Toews +52
Makar +- through 1st 3 rounds +11 Toews +6
Makar +- final round -4, Toews -3

They have been a liability at even strength through the 1st 5 games.

Bushay

NHL Expert
McKinnon similar numbers through the season, 1st 3 rounds, and the finals. He's -3 in these finals. Yet they lead the series 3-2 and his corsi is off the charts good. He's also been a liability through 5 games. Pretty crazy stats.

sharky99

EOG Dedicated
Quite the Makar, Toews and McKinnon stats. Seeing that you would expect game 7.
Either way I would have lost tonight on the props I posted or on the TBay mline I was considering taking instead.

sharky99

EOG Dedicated
67-57-3 +8.60 units after the last game tonight

Thanks to everyone for their contributions and for keeping the thread going through the season and playoffs!!

Congrats to the Avs for going from basement to Stanley Cup Champs in 5 years!!!

Bushay

NHL Expert
67-57-3 +8.60 units after the last game tonight

Thanks to everyone for their contributions and for keeping the thread going through the season and playoffs!!

Congrats to the Avs for going from basement to Stanley Cup Champs in 5 years!!!
Nice job Sharky

sharky99

EOG Dedicated
Thanks Bushay, had better results last year, this year through the last half of the year and the playoffs really didn't have a good feel for teams in general. Playing unders in different spots was the profitable positive angles.

Player movement and the draft should be interesting to follow

Bushay

NHL Expert
Thanks Bushay, had better results last year, this year through the last half of the year and the playoffs really didn't have a good feel for teams in general. Playing unders in different spots was the profitable positive angles.

Player movement and the draft should be interesting to follow
Always my favorite time of the year next to the playoffs. Looking forward to October to do it all over again.

Wings got their coach, another top 10 1st round pick and 2 2nds to possibly move up as they did last year, and still a ton of cap space to inch my boys a little closer to back in the playoffs where they have missed the last 6 seasons. The Atlantic should see more parity this year which can only help going forward.

Vegas with a new coach and a much healthier team should be much better as well. Pacioretty, Stone, Eichel and Martinez, all missed half the season. And the reason they missed the playoffs for the very first time.

I'm ready already!

1st up, the Draft next Thursday

sharky99

EOG Dedicated
Vegas should be much better after a rough year for several reasons. Interesting to hear Jets wanted Trotz but he wants to wait. What are the Habs going to do with the Number 1 pick?

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Vegas should be much better after a rough year for several reasons. Interesting to hear Jets wanted Trotz but he wants to wait. What are the Habs going to do with the Number 1 pick?

I disagree. Before last season I said within 2 years Vegas and the Kings will be flipping spots in the standings and I stand by it. Vegas is about to start a decline most team experience.