Colts will dominate South again

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
In the second part of my 2006 NFL preview, I'll be looking at the AFC South. Last season, the Colts dominated the South during the regular season while going 14-2, but once again came up short in the playoffs. They'll be the favorites again, but can they finally break though when it counts?

1. Indianapolis Colts (Predicted Record: 13-3)

Strengths: Production wise, Peyton Manning is the best quarterback in the league. He'll have 4,000 yards and 35 plus touchdowns again. They have the best wide receiving corps in the league with Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, and Brandon Stokley. The defense was finally as good as the offense last year.

Weaknesses: Can Manning overcome his reputation of not being able to perform when the pressure is on? The offensive line is usually solid, but was exposed by blitzing last year. Loss of Edgerrin James will hurt the running game.

Bottom Line: On paper, they are once again the most talented team in the conference. However, if they can't put it all together when it counts again, Manning can throw for 5,000 yards and it won't matter.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars (Predicted Record: 9-7)

Strengths: The defense is strong, especially on the defensive line with Marcus Stroud and John Henderson, and in the secondary. Byron Leftwich isn't going to throw for 300 yards a game, but he gets the job done. The offensive line is very solid.

Weaknesses: Fred Taylor used to be a top running back, but he can't seem to stay healthy anymore. The retirement of Jimmy Smith leaves a lot of questions in the receiving corps, where they'll have to rely on a lot of young guys like Matt Jones and Reggie Williams.

Bottom Line: They finished 12-4 last year, but they're not as good as that record indicates. The defense will have to carry them again, which it will at times. I don't think they'll return to the playoffs though.

3. Houston Texans (Predicted Record 6-10)

Strengths: David Carr has the talent to be a good quarterback, but he needs to get help from his offensive line. Dominick Davis may not be Reggie Bush, but he's a solid running back if he's healthy. Andre Johnson had a down year, but he's as talented a receiver as they come. The addition of Eric Moulds will help. Despite the criticism of his selection, Mario Williams will be a stud.

Weaknesses: The offensive line has always been bad, and they didn't do anything drastic to improve it. Besides Williams, and cornerback Dunta Robinson, there's not a whole lot of talent on defense. Williams will have to be amazing to make fans forget about not picking Reggie Bush.

Bottom Line: They'll be much, much better than last season's abysmal two win effort. If they can add some talent on the offensive line and on defense, they could be dangerous in a few years.

4. Tennessee Titans (Predicted Record 3-13)

Strengths: They have three good options at running back with Chris Brown, Travis Henry, and LenDale White. The offensive line should be solid. They have some talent on defense led by top linebacker Keith Bulluck. Vince Young should generate a lot of excitement in the coming years.

Weaknesses: They were foolish to let Steve McNair leave. Billy Volek is a good backup, but not a season long starter, and Young is not ready yet. The wide receivers are average at best. The secondary is going to give up a lot of big plays.

Bottom Line: Vince Young has all the potential in the world, but he won't help his year. The McNair situation was handled horribly, and they will have a top 5 draft pick again.

Colts will dominate South again - Sports

tango papa

EOG Addicted
General, glad to see that you didn't write this. Colts have lost their 'Edge' this year and more. Win their division? Yes, but maybe at 10-6. Think they lost something else at the end of LY - heart. Just think they lack the moxie to be a championship calibre ball club.

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
I don't understand why you believe they have lost their heart to win?

The Colts made a bad decision last season to lay off when they lost a game. They should have not sat back and relaxed, but instead kept on playing their game. The rust showed and the death in the family did have an impact.

I think Indy will do very well this season, although I don't expect a 13-3 either. That will be very tough for any team.

Thanks

juice

EOG Senior Member
good analysis. It's too bad the colts are in such an easy division and will coast to a playoff spot, while you have divisions like the NFC east and AFC north where quality teams will beat each other up and a couple very good teams will miss out.

husker

EOG Addicted
1 9/10 @ New York Giants 8:15 PM
2 9/17 HOUSTON TEXANS 1:00 PM
3 9/24 JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS 1:00 PM
4 10/1 @ New York Jets 1:00 PM
5 10/8 TENNESSEE TITANS 1:00 PM
6 10/15 BYE -
7 10/22 WASHINGTON REDSKINS 4:15 PM
8 10/29 @ Denver Broncos 4:15 PM
9 11/5 @ New England Patriots 8:15 PM
10 11/12 BUFFALO BILLS 1:00 PM
11 11/19 @ Dallas Cowboys 1:00 PM
12 11/26 PHILADELPHIA EAGLES 1:00 PM
13 12/3 @ Tennessee Titans 1:00 PM
14 12/10 @ Jacksonville Jaguars 1:00 PM
15 12/18 CINCINNATI BENGALS 8:30 PM
16 12/24 @ Houston Texans 1:00 PM
17 12/31 MIAMI DOLPHINS 1:00 PM

i see 7-8 wins at home and 5-6 on the road. at least 12-4, probably better.

ensign_lee

EOG Addicted
easy teams my ass.

THE TEXANS WILL TAKE THIS DIVISION. Just watch. Despite my hatred of the Jaguars (being a Houston fan), they're no pushovers either. The Colts will not have this division handed to them on a silver platter again.

Now, for the TItans? I hate Bud. I hope his team goes 0-16. That would be funny. ;)