NFL Week 4: Week Long Thread

buffettgambler

EOG Veteran
I have decided to start a week long thread each week for football. I will use this thread to comment on each game throughout the week, and will also use it as a source to post my picks prior to later in the week when I get my write ups out, as I feel that there are some miss priced lines that should change within the next couple of days. Tuesday, I will start covering each game, but for now, want to record two picks that I already like without having to do more than surface capping. I will go in greater detail in my write ups later in the week.

Ravens +3
Wrong team favored, and I think linesmakers will know they miss priced this line later in the week, as I feel Baltimore should close in the range of +1 to a pick. The Ravens have the better offense, the better defense, and have home field advantage, yet still are three point dogs? I don?t get this line, but don?t put too much stock into the first two Chargers games, as they were against the two worst teams in football. This will be Rivers first real test of his career, and without Tomlinson more than likely being able to help him out much in the ground, Rivers should fail in this hostile crowd against this defense. The Chargers defense has been lights out, but still has holes solid teams can take advantage of. Ravens should win this straight up.

Vikings Pick
I feel they will close at least at -1, so I have my bet in already. I don?t need to go deep into handicapping this game without already knowing I like the Vikings in this spot. They have the advantage in the trenches on both sides of the ball, and could easily be 3-0 against three of the better NFC teams. The Bills will be the worst defense and arguably the worst offense that the Vikings have faced and the Bills proved today that home field advantage is not much for them right now. Losman continues to make mistakes, while the Bills running game should have a much harder time this week.

mgmhatesme

EOG Addicted
Re: NFL Week 4: Week Long Thread

Great idea here BG...

agree completely on Minnesota, not yet sure on the SD/Balt game

I just played Min +1.5.

Nice win today with the Vikes. They really impressed me today with how well they were able to run the ball. I thought the Bears defense would do a better job against them than they did... Brad Johnson is playing great. Going back to the win streak last year and the 3 games this year, I really like how the Vikings are controlling the game. Losman is playing much better than he did last year, at least up till this last game which I havent looked at yet. But I dont think this team is in the same class and I think we might be getting them at a good spot being a little overrated this early in the year.

buffettgambler

EOG Veteran

Thanks MGM. I think it's a good idea too, as it should be much easier to get conversations going.

I really felt the wrong team won the Vikings game. The refs had a bad week across the board this week, and this is one of the games in which they did a poor job, as there were a few unfavorable calls going against the Vikings(the biggest one was the 35 yard passing play called back by an offensive pass interference on Williamson that just wasn't there. Grossman had a much worse game than his stats would lead you to believe. He could have easily thrown four picks ( 2 would have been easy touchdowns for the Vikings). The Vikings had the game, but gave it away with a late fumble. Bears tackling was far from impressive throughout.

I am going to watch the Bills/Jets game during the week. Their offense seems to be moving the ball well, but there is a big disparity between the proness to mistakes when comparing Losman to Johnson. Looks like I could have gotten a better line if I waited though.

Crazy day in football today. I think Warner is going to be popping up in my head all night. The guy is a joke.

I agree with you on the Ravens - it should definitely be the other way around. I'm in at +2.5 -103 at Pinny.

For what it's worth, I would have favored the Ravens by 4 points.

d ray

EOG Dedicated

i love the minnesota play. didnt realize their defense was that good. chester taylor is an animal. if they don't turn the ball over, they should win by a td.

mgmhatesme

EOG Addicted

Seahawks | Alexander could miss 4-6 weeks
Mon, 25 Sep 2006 14:58:58 -0700
Updating previous reports, ESPN's <A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/125">John Clayton reports Seattle Seahawks RB Shaun Alexander (foot) may miss four to six weeks of action due to a broken bone in his foot. With the Seahawks having a Bye during Week 5, it is possible he could miss just three games.

Looks like the Bears opened at -2.5 this Sun night and now may be 3.5pt favorites with Maurice Morris at RB. Alexander has not been running well anyway and will be interesting to see if the public overrates this and creates value on Seattle here.

I was a little surprised with the opening line of this game... I was actually expecting Seattle to be a 1 or 2pt favorite. The unfortunate part of this for me was that I had a lean toward Chicago at the price I made and now I have no idea, but I am a bit surprised and think there may be some value on Seattle. Doesnt yet mean its worth a play to me, have to see where the line settles at.

buffettgambler

EOG Veteran

Dray,
Glad to see you like the Vikes. They are the real deal, and not many NFC teams are as complete as they are.

MGM,
I was liking the Seahawks play prior to the injury announcement, and like it a lot more now. I was never a big fan of Alexander, and always felt he was a product of an elite O Line (too soft of a runner for an avg line). There is not much drop off with Morris, and the line movement should overreact to such news.
Glad to see we are seeing the same thing here for the time being.

mgmhatesme

EOG Addicted

BG, I think I may have the Bears rated a little higher (or the Seahawks a little lower) than you... I had not planned to take Seattle here, but I agree with your assessment of Alexander and Morris, and I think the value play probably lies with Seattle.

On a personal note, my wife and I go to Chicago every year for our anniversary and we will be going to the game there and I hate to root against the hometown fans. Perhaps you will see me on TV, I have 50yd line seats Bears sideline, row 1, seat 1 and 2.

Play the under and cheer for punts?

mgmhatesme

EOG Addicted

good article:

Who said wise guys just bet underdogs when it comes to the NFL? Professionals and semi-sharp bettors already have fired away on several favorites pushing the Indianapolis Colts to -9 against the New York Jets, the Dallas Cowboys to -9 ? against the Tennessee Titans and the Cincinnati Bengals to -6 against the New England Patriots. And that’s not all. The San Diego Chargers are road favorites against the Baltimore Ravens, the Cleveland Browns are road favorites against the Oakland Raiders and the Washington Redskins are catching +3 at home against the Jacksonville Jaguars, who just got done with a division showdown against the Colts. “It’s amazing to see some of these lines,” said Mike Seba, senior linesmaker for Las Vegas Sports Consultants, the company that makes the numbers for many of Nevada’s hotels. Amazing indeed. The last time the Patriots received this many points was five years ago against St. Louis in the Super Bowl. We know how that one turned out. “It’s an overreaction to both games,” professional gambler Dave Malinsky said about the Bengals being -6. “The Steelers had three absolutely critical turnovers against the Bengals. Those turnovers probably cost them 21 points. The Bengals haven’t been able to protect Carson Palmer even when they’ve been primarily running the ball. Palmer’s been sacked 10 times the last six quarters.” At Pinnaclesports.com the early number was Bengals -4 against New England. But following Denver’s 17-7 victory against the Patriots, bets on Cincinnati came in at a rate of 4 ?-1, said a Pinnacle spokesperson. I like the Chargers, but what are they doing being a 2 ?-point road favorite against the Ravens? The Las Vegas Hilton put out Baltimore -3 on their early line last week. “I could see pick, but I don’t see the Chargers being the favorite,” Seba said. “This is Philip Rivers going into Ravens territory.” Seba was also surprised by the Jaguars-Redskins line. LVSC recommended Washington -1 ? to their clients. We’re talking about a 4 ?-point difference on a Week 4 game. You’d think lines would be settled in by now. “I know Jacksonville is the better team, but the situation favors Washington,” Seba said. “The Redskins have (Clinton) Portis back and have momentum. This line and the Baltimore line surprised me the most.” The Cowboys-Titans line also is a surprise. “There’s been a lot of early action as bettors have placed three times as many bets on Dallas,” said Simon Noble of Pinnaclesports.com. “The line opened at Cowboys -7 and has been steamed up to Dallas -9 ?. If this continues through the week, it wouldn’t be shocking to see Dallas as double-digit road favorites.” LVSC opened the Cowboys -9. The Cowboys are good, but they’re certainly not a great team. Plus there’s no guarantee they have Terrell Owens back. Seba said the opening -9 was reflective of Owens not being in the lineup. “Tennessee isn’t quite as bad as people perceive them to be,” Seba said. “The Titans still have a good defense. I could see (plus) nine, but 10 is too high.” Pinnacle opened the Colts -7 ?, but after taking twice as many wagers on Indy, they currently have the Jets +9. LVSC sent out Indy -8 ?. Their oddsmakers have no problem shading the Colts up, however, this could be another instance of professionals and recreational bettors both being on the same side. “The public is all over them (the Colts),” Seba said. “So we try to make them higher than maybe they would be with a pure handicapping number. “The Jets play hard. They don’t give up. But that could all be neutralized because of the Colts’ superior talent.” Those who said they would never lay points again with Cleveland after the Browns were upset opening week by the Saints may be forced to live up to those vows this Sunday. The Browns are road favorites against the Raiders. “Whether it’s because of a good showing versus Baltimore or simply a lack of belief in the Raiders, Cleveland moved from -1 to –2 ? very quickly,” Pinnacle’s Noble said. There was already a 3-point line spotted Monday morning at BetCRIS.com. “I was hoping 3’s wouldn’t show,” one professional bettor said. “Now I have to go and bet Oakland.” Anybody brave enough to try a Raiders/Jets/Titans parlay? That should be worth at least a free T-shirt from bookmakers.

-------------------------------

some value plays suggested in that article:
Washington +3
Tennessee +10
NYJ +9 (Colts may be without Reggie Wayne)
Raiders +3
NE +6
Baltimore +3

I agree with many, if not all of those... would be hard for me to bet on the Jets and Raiders though.

good article:

Who said wise guys just bet underdogs when it comes to the NFL? Professionals and semi-sharp bettors already have fired away on several favorites pushing the Indianapolis Colts to -9 against the New York Jets, the Dallas Cowboys to -9 ? against the Tennessee Titans and the Cincinnati Bengals to -6 against the New England Patriots. And that?s not all. The San Diego Chargers are road favorites against the Baltimore Ravens, the Cleveland Browns are road favorites against the Oakland Raiders and the Washington Redskins are catching +3 at home against the Jacksonville Jaguars, who just got done with a division showdown against the Colts. ?It?s amazing to see some of these lines,? said Mike Seba, senior linesmaker for Las Vegas Sports Consultants, the company that makes the numbers for many of Nevada?s hotels. Amazing indeed. The last time the Patriots received this many points was five years ago against St. Louis in the Super Bowl. We know how that one turned out. ?It?s an overreaction to both games,? professional gambler Dave Malinsky said about the Bengals being -6. ?The Steelers had three absolutely critical turnovers against the Bengals. Those turnovers probably cost them 21 points. The Bengals haven?t been able to protect Carson Palmer even when they?ve been primarily running the ball. Palmer?s been sacked 10 times the last six quarters.? At Pinnaclesports.com the early number was Bengals -4 against New England. But following Denver?s 17-7 victory against the Patriots, bets on Cincinnati came in at a rate of 4 ?-1, said a Pinnacle spokesperson. I like the Chargers, but what are they doing being a 2 ?-point road favorite against the Ravens? The Las Vegas Hilton put out Baltimore -3 on their early line last week. ?I could see pick, but I don?t see the Chargers being the favorite,? Seba said. ?This is Philip Rivers going into Ravens territory.? Seba was also surprised by the Jaguars-Redskins line. LVSC recommended Washington -1 ? to their clients. We?re talking about a 4 ?-point difference on a Week 4 game. You?d think lines would be settled in by now. ?I know Jacksonville is the better team, but the situation favors Washington,? Seba said. ?The Redskins have (Clinton) Portis back and have momentum. This line and the Baltimore line surprised me the most.? The Cowboys-Titans line also is a surprise. ?There?s been a lot of early action as bettors have placed three times as many bets on Dallas,? said Simon Noble of Pinnaclesports.com. ?The line opened at Cowboys -7 and has been steamed up to Dallas -9 ?. If this continues through the week, it wouldn?t be shocking to see Dallas as double-digit road favorites.? LVSC opened the Cowboys -9. The Cowboys are good, but they?re certainly not a great team. Plus there?s no guarantee they have Terrell Owens back. Seba said the opening -9 was reflective of Owens not being in the lineup. ?Tennessee isn?t quite as bad as people perceive them to be,? Seba said. ?The Titans still have a good defense. I could see (plus) nine, but 10 is too high.? Pinnacle opened the Colts -7 ?, but after taking twice as many wagers on Indy, they currently have the Jets +9. LVSC sent out Indy -8 ?. Their oddsmakers have no problem shading the Colts up, however, this could be another instance of professionals and recreational bettors both being on the same side. ?The public is all over them (the Colts),? Seba said. ?So we try to make them higher than maybe they would be with a pure handicapping number. ?The Jets play hard. They don?t give up. But that could all be neutralized because of the Colts? superior talent.? Those who said they would never lay points again with Cleveland after the Browns were upset opening week by the Saints may be forced to live up to those vows this Sunday. The Browns are road favorites against the Raiders. ?Whether it?s because of a good showing versus Baltimore or simply a lack of belief in the Raiders, Cleveland moved from -1 to ?2 ? very quickly,? Pinnacle?s Noble said. There was already a 3-point line spotted Monday morning at BetCRIS.com. ?I was hoping 3?s wouldn?t show,? one professional bettor said. ?Now I have to go and bet Oakland.? Anybody brave enough to try a Raiders/Jets/Titans parlay? That should be worth at least a free T-shirt from bookmakers.

-------------------------------

some value plays suggested in that article:
Washington +3
Tennessee +10
NYJ +9 (Colts may be without Reggie Wayne)
Raiders +3
NE +6
Baltimore +3

I agree with many, if not all of those... would be hard for me to bet on the Jets and Raiders though.

Great article on how the early lines move!

Mike, thx for article...have fun in Chitown...why there? My wife is from Chicago and we are going in Nov...burrrrrr!!!

mgmhatesme

EOG Addicted

Paul, I wouldnt go there in November heh, I prefer the warm weather and this is about as late as I go. Why Chicago? Its a nice city, we prefer it over New York and its easy to stay at a nice hotel close to good shopping, good food, and walking distance to the stadium. I worked there for a short time awhile back and have always liked to go back there. The first NFL game I ever went to was in the old soldier field back when I was in college against the Skins and I always thought it was a neat place to watch a game. For our anniversary we always make a trip... this first year it was Vegas, but my wife doesnt like that place as much as I do, so now its Chicago every year and has been for the past 4. So, I go to a Bears game every year and at least 1 skins game every year. I have 4 season tickets to the Redskins, but I give those out all the time for business and usually just pick 1 game I like to go to. That's enough for me, as the living room seat is hard to beat for relaxing on a Sunday and I save some of my energy for travelling for my Vegas trips.

mgmhatesme

EOG Addicted

ok, some random thoughts about week 4 here. BG, hope you don't mind me posting all over your thread.

Indy at NYJ (+9): Indy coming off big divisional win against Jags. Still might be missing some key players like Bob Sanders, Corey Simon, Vinatieri, Stokley... now might be minus Reggie Wayne due to his brother's tragic accident. Indy also plays a div opponent next week in Tennessee, so this is a sandwich game for them. Hard to take Jets, but they have played well in all 3 games so far this year.

SD at Baltimore (+2.5): SD coming off a bye, but this is still Phillip Rivers as a favorite over a tough D in Baltimore and the first difficult test for him. SD has only beated Oak and Tennessee, 2 teams that make it tough to gauge how good or bad they are this year.

Minn at Buffalo (-1): Sheesh, I have Minnesota rated as a solid 3pt favorite here. Buffalo is either getting more respect for the win against Miami or the oddsmakers are not putting much stock into Minnesota 2-1 start, where they have been against 3 tough teams in Skins, Panthers, and Bears. This one has me shaking my head. Losman is playing better this year but had some turnover issues this last game reminiscent of his troubles from last year. Minnesota is controlling the game beautifully and giving themselves a chance to win every week. Buffalo may still be without Takeo Spikes.

Dallas at Tennessee (+10): Dallas coming off a bye. Kerry Collins still the starter as Fisher I guess wants to wait until the season is officially flushed down the toilet so Vince Young can get a free pass on lowered expectations. Still surprised to see a home dog getting 10 here with a team that actually has much more talent than they have shown. Main problem for this team is the horrible play at QB.

SF at KC (-7): KC coming off a bye. SF to be without Vernon Davis, but Frank Gore will play. Huard gets the start for KC. SF defensive weakness matches up with KC offensive weakness (passing). SF has been known for high scoring and I expect the total of 40 to get bid up throughout the week. Still, KC defense is playing pretty well right now, and my lean would be KC and under here.

New Orleans at Carolina (-7). Hmmm. Oddsmakers are out to get me once again as last night when I was losing both my wagers, I was loving the possibility of the Saints getting a little overrated here, coming off an emotional win on a short week and taking the Panthers in this spot. I was thinking around 4.5 similiar to how the week 1 line with Atlanta was... although I knew Atlanta had higher preseason expectations I was expecting the 3-0 start for the Saints and dominant performance last night to count for something but apparently not.

Arizona at Atlanta (-7.5). Might be worth taking a shot on Leinart here as the Falcons looked like a one-trick pony last night. Take away the option and Vick looked lost. Arizona has some talent hidden perfectly well by Warners fumbles and interceptions. Warner looks to be 67 back there... he seemed to think he was a Ram still by a couple of those picks last weekend, and fumbling that ball in the closing minutes with a chance to win the game has become more of a trademark of his recent play than any Super Bowl victories with the Rams. Surprised Falcons are getting this kind of respect after last night's performance, obviously oddsmakers are throwing that game away. We shall see if they are right.

Miami at Houston (+3.5). Should have played this at +4 when I had the chance. I guessed wrong that Houston wouldnt have any backers here and decided to wait until I looked at all the angles. I think Houston wins this game SU though and I may take a stab at that +170 or so ML. What has Miami done to deserve our respect? Win 13-10 over hapless Tennessee? Houston is not much better, but they are at home and I think quite pissed at the way they have started the year. They have not been competitive in any game yet this year. I tend to think they decide to start playing football.

Detroit at STL (-5.5). Detroit didnt show they can play defense without Kenoy Kennedy and Fernando Bryant in the secondary last week. Now they go against an offense that finally showed signs of coming together, in a dome. The over at 43.5 is shouting at me, and the Rams may be a good play at -5.5 also.

NE at Cincy (-6). Really like NE here getting 6. Count me among those that think Pitt gave that game away last week with Big Ben throwing 2 picks in the end-zone and the fumbles punt return on their own 10. Maybe a 21pt swing with all the turnovers. Coming off an intense division win with the Steelers, I think the Bengals may be prone to a letdown. While the Patroits got embarassed on SNF and might be out for some respect. I like the chances of Mauroney going against that Bengals D that allowed Willie Parker to run all over the place.

Jax at Was (+3). Jax has had a tough as hell start to the season. Will they letup now that they face an away, non divisonal, non-conference opponent? The Skins may be getting some confidence back and still need to win their first home game. If Springs comes back for the Skins, it will be a nice boost.

Cle at Oakland (+3). Cleveland favored on the road? I dont care who it is against, not sure they are worth that still. Oakland hard as hell to bet on though and with Walters at QB there may be some growing pains. If you are throwing dice here, just looking for action, my gut says the value lies in the home dog.

Sea at Chicago (-3.5). Alexander out of course, but he wasnt much of a factor this year anyway with the OL no longer dominating. Im looking hard at the under 35.5 here. Both defenses are very solid. Seattle WRs still having some issues catching the ball. Lots of talk of 3 and 4 WR sets for Seattle, but the Bears have a solid secondary with depth that was really reinforced in the offseason. Seattle D has always played well until they have had a big lead, then the prevent defense has been allowing a ton of points. With a close game throughout, I expect solid D throughout. I have 50yd line seats, row 1 Bears side. Look for the guy in the Ditka jersey cheering for punts.

buffettgambler

EOG Veteran

Nice article MGM. Thanks for sharing.
Tough loss for most last night. I guess the intangibles far outweighed the fundamentals in that game. I knew we were in for a long day after the blocked punt, but really should be brought up was the horrible play calling from Gnapp and his scripted plays. I just did not understand why he opened up the first drive passing two of the first three plays. It doesnt sound like much, but was disgusted with the mentality throughout. He handcuffed the greatest offensive assets from the get go.

Thanks for sharing your analysis on each game as well. I will do the same and comment on yours, but still haven't finished capping.

mgm... i have to tell you i like all your sides... makes me a little nervous!!! but great reasoning & logic. you make compelling arguments for all the sides here.. i think my best bets are:

Balt
New Eng
Sea
Carolina

mgm... i have to tell you i like all your sides... makes me a little nervous!!! but great reasoning & logic. you make compelling arguments for all the sides here.. i think my best bets are:

Balt
New Eng
Sea
Carolina

buffettgambler

EOG Veteran

Week 3 Post Hoc Analysis

Every week I go back and watch as many games as I can, and try to decipher whether each cover was a one directional are two directional cover. It allows me to learn from mistakes, and gives me a better benchmark to how well I am capping my games. It also allows me to find out some potential teams that are potentially coming with value, as they played much better or worse than the box scores would lead you to believe. Here is a look on how week 3 games turned out.

Note: I feel that if one can not achieve a greater than 55% winning percentage on one directional covers in the long, this is not a sport in which one should be handicapping.

Panthers @ Bucs: Covered: Bucs: Type: 2 directional Style: Wrong team covered
Comment: The better capped side of this game was the Panthers. They dominated the game throughout, and had a sizeable lead going into halftime. They were able to overcome three costly fumbles in the third quarter, but it prevented them from covering by one point. Fumbles are a much harder type of turnover to factor into handicapping, and three of them in one quarter are unforeseeable. Take one away, and the Panthers would cover easily.
Total: Covered: Over: Type: One directional
Comment: Although the yardage and ability to move the ball was far less than the total points scored, there were simply too many points to consider this a two directional cover. The Bucs defense and turnovers set up easy scoring drives, which have to be accounted for when these two teams go up against each other.

Chicago @ Vikings Covered: Vikings Type: One directional
Comment: It is not often that a team that covers the spread by a half of a point covers a one directionally. However, the Bears were never in position to win by four or more points in the second half. They should have lost the game straight up, as questionable calls, and the Vikings being unable to capitalize on some gift interceptions for easy scores prevented a win by the Vikings.
Total: Cover: Push

Bengals @ Steelers Cover: Bengals Type: Two directional Style: Right team covered.
Comment: Although the Bengals were the correctly capped side, this has to go as a two directional cover. The Steelers dominated the trenches, the time of possession, and moved the ball much easier. 5 turnovers was their wrong doing, but for a team without a history of such carelessness, 5 turnovers were unforeseeable. However, the risk of Roethlisberger having a poor game must have been accounted for, as he showed signs of this potentially being the case against the Jags. But the timing of the turnovers couldn?t have been at a worse time, and too many point swings were created.
Total: Cover: Over Type: Two directional Style : Right total covered.

Packers @ Lions: Cover: Packers: Type : One directional
Total Cover: Over Type One directional.

Jaguars @ Colts: Cover: Push
Total: Cover: Under Type: One directional

Jets @ Bills Cover: Jets Style: One directional Type: Right team covered
Comment: Watched this game a couple of times on shortcuts, and it is hard to imagine the Jets won this game. The Bills had no problems moving the ball at will against them, and the Jets defense looked horrible. The Jets running game never showed up. Losman?s turnovers were the difference, but must have been accounted for, as this risk must be assumed in his games. The Jets were the better capped side and the Bills were never in position to cover the spread in the second half.

Total: Cover: Over Type: One directional.

Titans @ Dolphins Cover: Titans Type : One directional
Comment: Wrong team won
Total: Cover: Under Type: One directional

Redskins @ Texans Cover: Redskins Type: One directional
Total Cover: Type: One directional.

Ravens @ Browns Cover: Browns: Type: One directional
Total Cover: Under Type: Two directional Style: Right total covered
Comment: A costly turnover in the red zone prevented the Browns from scoring enough points to send this total over. 550 total passing yards usually sends a total this low well over the mark. However, the under was not in severed jeopardy, and the Ravens had no business scoring 12 points in the final quarter.

Giants @ Seahawks Cover: Seahawks Type One Directional
Total Cover: Over Type: One directional

Eagles @ Niners Cover: Eagles Type: Two directional Style : Right team covered
Comment: Gore?s fumble on the one yard line that was returned for a touchdown was a 14 points swing. However, the Niners scored right after that, and the Eagles let them in late, something that wouldn?t have happened if the game was closer. Niners were not in position to cover throughout the game, but that fluke play at the one might have changed things.
Total Cover: Over Type: One directional

Rams @ Cardinals Cover: Rams Type: One directional
Comment: As much as I would love to call this a two directional cover since I had the Cardinals, I can?t. I am well aware of the costly turnovers inside the red zone and inability to score inside the ten cost the Cardinals from covering. However, all turnovers were a product of Warner, the most mistake prone player in football. One has to account for such when dealing with his games. Nothing fluke about it.
Total Cover: Under Type: 2 directional Style: Right total covered
Comment: The total was never in jeopardy, but both teams moved the ball at ease. I am well aware that both teams have struggled inside the red zone, but some questionable ref calls and a ton of turnovers really took some points off the board.

Broncos @ Pats Covered: Broncos Type: One directional
Total: Covered: Under Type: One directional

Falcons @ Saints: Covered Saints Type: One directional
Total Covered : Under Type One directional

mgmhatesme

EOG Addicted

BG, thanks yet again for some good info to use here

I do happen to think you underrate the Bears a bit. I saw the entire Bears/Vikes game and I personally would rate that as a two-dimensional cover for the Vikes. Chicago moved the ball pretty easily at times and had to settle for 2 short FGs that I think very easily could have been TDs. Clock mismgmt at the end of the first half could have resulted in a FG. There were a couple bad calls on the Vikes, but I also think the Bears got some as well with a bogus 15yd unnecessary roughness on an Alex Brown tackle, and another offsides that was questionable when Brown sacked and caused a fumble. I also think that it was a Dwight Smith INT that I think hit the ground that was never replayed. Anyway, its a judgment call on analysis there thats not really important, but the point is I think you may be underrating the Bears a bit for future capping purposes.

Other than that, I agree with everything on your recap. good stuff, thanks once again.

buffettgambler

EOG Veteran

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:stockticker>MGM</st1:stockticker>, you might be right. I might be underestimating the Bears potential, but have always found teams that win convincingly against bad teams and have soft schedules to be more of a value fade, as they are often overrated. The Bears have yet to convince me they can win against the better teams. I think Sunday Night might change the way I look at this team if they could put forth a solid outing, but I still hold my doubts against them.

buffettgambler

EOG Veteran

Timing is one of the intangible variables in which I value into my handicapping in football. Prior to fundamentally breaking down games, I try to decipher what teams, based on timing would make for compelling bets and fades. A couple of examples from last week were the Giants and Eagles. The Niners caught the Eagles on the wrong week, as they came into that game more determined to put forth a dominating outing than they normally would and make a backdoor cover much less likely. On the other hand, the Giants were prone for a letdown spot after winning in the fashion they did against the Eagles the week prior. It played trued to form, as they got caught sleep walking through the first half.

Here is a list of teams with unfavorable timing working against them this week

1.) Niners: A potential look ahead game for the Niners, as they come back home next week for the much anticipated across the bay rivalry against the hated Raiders.

2.)Saints- The Saints confidence is at an all time high, but one has to also factor in the potential huge letdown spot for them after Monday night. They used up a lot of energy and emotions, and are also playing on short rest.
3.)Vikings- Teams coming off three games against three above average teams are always prone to letdown and burnout. The Vikings fit under this category, and it just so happens, all those games came down to the wire and consisted of playoff physicality. Now they travel to play an out of conference team on the road.
4.)Bills- The Bills confidence was shattered last week in their home opener. Just when they thought they might be something that they truly aren’t, they come back to earth losing to a division rival. They just got finished playing three divisional games in a row.
5.)Cowboys- Having two weeks to prepare for the worst team in football can leave a team unprepared, and potentially come out flat for the game. Add to the mix, the much anticipated showdown against the Phillies the following week, and one has to wonder who the Cowboys have been preparing for.
6.)Jaguars- The Jags just got done playing three physical games against top tier teams. One has to wonder how much is left in their tank to play another road game against an out of conference team. Their bubble also burst losing to the Colts.

Here is a list of teams with favorable timing working for them this week.
1.)Chiefs- The Chiefs got a much needed week off to regroup and get Huard settled in.
2.)Patriots- You have to hate being a team that has to play the Patriots coming off an embarrassing home loss on national television. This holds especially true if you are a team that is coming off a road win that they have been waiting to win once Palmer went down in the playoffs.

Here is a list of teams that have conflicting timing issues
1.)Cardinals- They just got finished playing three divisional games in a row, and now has to travel on the road. Usually teams are prone to an emotional letdown game in this spot. Having said that, the Cardinals are coming off a game in which they literally handed to the Rams. Expect them to have a chip on their shoulder this week, as they wanted respect going into the season, have not given anyone reason to do such.
2.)Falcons- One has to really like taking your chances on a solid team that got embarrassed on national TV the week prior. The whole world saw the Falcons fail miserably against the Saints, and one would expect them to come back home determined to reclaim their identity. However, they are also playing on a short week, and much like the Cardinals are coming off games against three division rivals.
3.)Lions- The team just got finished losing to two division rivals in a row, and have to play another divisional opponent in week 5. However, at 0-3, the Lions are not in position for a look ahead game, and would love to get Martz the win against his former team.
4.)Rams- They just got finished playing two division opponents, and are coming off a gift win, potentially luring them into a false sense of security. But they would love to beat Martz as well.

puckhandler

EOG Dedicated

Awesome information guys.

Really liking the Skins as my Play of the week. The following are the Ats records of Jaguars games following playing the Colts

Jags won and didnt cover against SF 10-9
Jags won and covered @ The NY Jets 26-20
Jags lost and didnt cover @ Houston 20-6 (2004)
Jags lost and didnt cover @ San Diego 34-21
Jags lost and didnt cover @ Tennessee 10-3 (2003)
Jags lost and didnt cover @ Houston 24-20

Factor in the unfavourable timing the Jags have working against them, the Skins are a definite play for me.

Culver

EOG Veteran

2.)Patriots- You have to hate being a team that has to play the Patriots coming off an embarrassing home loss on national television. This holds especially true if you are a team that is coming off a road win that they have been waiting to win once Palmer went down in the playoffs.

BG-Betting systems are just about a complete waste of time--they are simply data backfill--but one system I learned many years ago is grounded in logic and has been helpful to me. The system calls for betting against any team that won straight up as an underdog in their previous game if they are a favorite in their next game, especially if they pulled their upset on the road. The logic is obvious. Teams in this situation are likely to be the media darlings of the week and they often have a hard time getting on the necessary "game face" they need to win their next game by a margin, especially since their line is likely to be inflated.
Buffalo hosting the Jets last week was a classic example.

Thanks for all the great insight, buffetgambler. This is the kind of stuff that really gives people an edge - have to always look way beyond the box scores to find the real edges.

:+thumbs-2

buffettgambler

EOG Veteran

Puck,
Good info. Unless I have a really good reason not to, it?s going to be hard for me from staying away from taking the +3 in the game as well.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
Russ,
I am not one to believe in trends or systems myself. I feel that they are often employed and used to lure people into a false sense of security. Some are just absurd. Having said that, the one you bring up definitely holds validity in my opinion. There is no denying that the line is inflated because of it.
<o:p> </o:p>
With that said, it?s still hard to imagine a team prone to a letdown spot going up against the Pats. Prior to Sunday?s game, I anticipated this line opening at -3, and was planning to bet the Bengals because I really liked how they match up with the Patriots. I was not surprised to see the line open at -4 once both teams played, and expected money to be heavily skewed on the Bengals. I can?t bring myself from betting into an inflated line, but I don?t necessarily think that they are intrinsically overvalued based on fundamentals. The Patriots are merely a shell of their former selves, and it?s going to take more than fundamentals for them to hang with a team like the Bengals. I can?t fault anyone for taking their chances on the Pats this week, as they have always been a team that has thrived on intangibles, but there is just too many unfavorable fundamentals for me bet on this trend that holds merit.
<o:p> </o:p>
Reload,
Thanks for the compliment. Good luck this week.

mgmhatesme

EOG Addicted

The possible let down situation pointed out by Russ above applies to 2 teams this week:

-St Louis Rams
- Cincinnati Bengals

Detroit at St Louis:
Problem with fading the Rams for me here is that they finally seemed to gain some offensive momentum last week. Although they only scored 16 points, they moved the ball pretty well and it looks the the team is finally starting to gel offensively. There is some familiarity here with both OC formerly with the opponent. Martz obviously the HC with the Rams now OC of the Lions and with the Rams OC Olson formerly the QB coach for Detroit, who deserved a promotion after taking Harrington to future Hall of Fame status I guess. Two dome teams, so no off-surface problems for the Lions here. Detroit had real problems in the secondary last week without Fernando Bryant and Kenoy Kennedy and might miss both this week also, not good against a solid WR group in STL. I definitely cannot take the Lions here without Bryant and Kennedy, and think there may instead be a play with the over or the Rams.

New England at Cincinnati:
Bengals did get a "sloppy" or "fake" win imo against the Steelers. The run defense was absolutely terrible and I would recommend all Fantasy players to start Mauroney this week who should be in for a big week. Additionally, Bengals without a couple LBs on Thurman and Pollack, SS jackson going against a very good TE group in NE. Off-field issues with Chris Henry may cause him to miss the game at worst and a distraction for the team at best. Bengals coming off, not only the SU dog win, but an emotional win against a heated division rival. Good letdown spot I think, coupled with NE losing in primetime last week giving them some added motivation. I love the Patriots in this spot and have already taken them at +6.

mgmhatesme

EOG Addicted

New Orleans at Carolina:

New Orleans played its first two games on the road and then its emotional home opener on Monday night last week. Saints are traveling on a short week after their emotional win and 3-0 start. Factoring in preseason, it will be the Saints? fourth away game in five weeks. Natural to assume a letdown here. Carolina will be without Dan Morgan, but Steve Smith is doing well and they may also get back Shaun Williams and the C Hartwig. LB play is the weak point of the Panther D and Reggie Bush may make some plays recieving as I dont see the WRs of the Saints as being deep enough to challenge the secondary of the Panthers. Carolina played well and showed some heart in winning last week at the end of the game. Carolina winless (0-1) at home and I am sure they want to give their home fans something to cheer about after the high preseason expectations for this team. They are 1-2 and have a chance to get to .500 and give a loss to the division leader, or with a loss the Panthers will be at 1-3 with the Saints at 4-0, 2 of those wins in the division. I dont think Carolina can afford to lose this game and still have postseason expectations... it is very early in the season, but their 0-2 start has put them in this position. I think they understand the importance of this game and will be properly motivated to win. I expect a good performance from the Panthers, but I also respect Drew Brees enough to not want to give too many points away here. I was surprised and dissapointed to see the line and if I play the Panthers here it would have to be at a good price for -7.

buffettgambler

EOG Veteran

Good stuff MGM. Thanks for sharing.

As far as your take on the Pats game, I agree with your statement regarding the Bengals defense being far from impressive against the Steelers. The Steelers could have easily scored 30 plus points in that game. Maroney does match up pretty well against their run D, but I don't neccessarily think he will have that big of a game. The Bengals are going to try make this game turn into a shootout. The Patriots have already proven that they do not have the recievers to play in such a game. Their defensive backs should be overmatched, and if the Bengals score early and often, the role Maroney will have should be limited. I would have loved to bet on the Pats and against the Bengals this week, but this just isn't a good match up for the Pats.
Having said that, I tend to favor the over in this game.

I think you are dead on with the Rams offense as well. They moved the ball at ease against the Cards, but continue to be unable to reflect in with points. I think you might be onto something with the over in this game, but I just can't pull the trigger on such a bet until the Rams start ending drives in seven.

I was really looking foward to betting the Panthers in this game as well, as I thought the Saints were primed for a letdown game here, and the Panthers are dying to overcome their embarrassing home opener. Like you, I was quite dissapointed in the line, as I was expecting at most having to lay -6. Can't pull the trigger on a two possession spread, as the disparity between these two teams is not that high. Brees is the real deal, and the Panthers have always made for a compelling fade in the role of the favorite. Stay away game for me.

mgmhatesme

EOG Addicted

Thanks BG

I like the over 45.5 also for the Pats/Bengals game. The Bengals have the passing attack that can challenge this Patriots secondary. I think both teams will be able to score pretty well.

Some other news stories that caught my attn, with my comments underneath:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=line><TD>September 27, 2006 11:26 AM ET
Titans: Line banged up

The News
The Titans could be without both starting guards for Sunday's game against the Cowboys. Benji Olson suffered a calf injury in last week's loss to the Dolphins, while Zach Piller sustained an ankle injury in that same game. Titans coach Jeff Fisher indicated that it's unlikely any of the three will practice this week, and he designated the trio as game-time decisions. "We're going to see how it goes, but we're comfortable with who we have on the active roster right now," Fisher told the Tennessean of his offensive line depth. "One of the things we try to do during the week?and we've done an awful lot of this?is move guys around."

Our View
Reserve lineman Eugene Amano was also hurt in the Dolphins game, leaving the Titans with perhaps just five healthy offensive linemen. If both Olson and Piller are out on Sunday, the probable shuffling will have right tackle Jacob Bell sliding to one guard spot and Daniel Loper playing the other, with David Stewart taking over at right tackle. Tennessee also has two linemen on their practice squad and could activate one or both if necessary later in the week. A banged-up line in front of two backs both sporting toe injuries is hardly a recipe for success.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>September 27, 2006 11:23 AM E
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hurts a possible Tennessee play as Dallas has a good defense, coming off a bye week, and now gets to go against a banged up OL and a terrible QB in Kerry Collins.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=line><TD>--------------------------------------------------------------------------
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=line><TD>Jaguars: Del Rio accuses Colts of dirty play... again
The News
It's deja vu all over again, as the Jaguars responded to a loss to the Colts by accusing Indianapolis of dirty play. "I alerted the officials before the game about the clubbing of linemen, the vaulting on field goals," Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio told the Indianapolis Star. "Both occurred. We'll put it in the game report like we always do." Del Rio's comments came in response to a postgame statement by Colts punter Hunter Smith, who likened the Jaguars to "the stand-up comic who can only use vulgarity and curse words because he lacks intelligence and lacks class," according to the Star. "A team that gets personal fouls the way they do, the roughing penalties, they just don't have any material."

Our View
For the game, the Jaguars had two personal foul penalties while the Colts had one on a late hit to Byron Leftwich. The Jags also missed two field goals, though no vaulting penalties were called. Last year, the Jaguars accused Indianapolis defensive linemen of going after Leftwich's knees. With Indy having won seven of the last nine meetings between these clubs, including three in a row, it's beginning to sound a whole lot like sour grapes on the part of the Jaguars.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
I sometimes look for signs like this that a team is still thinking about the last game and not about the next opponent. The Jags are coming off a difficult game that they could have won against the Colts and may be caught a little flat after a week of thinking "what ifs"

-----------------------------------------------

Also, looks like Hartwell will play for Atlanta.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Freeze

EOG Member

Hey buffet and MGM, nice to see you guys posting here. Great discussion going on here, excellent stuff!

Looking to get back in the swing of things, been a busy time for me moving and changing jobs.

Cheers to everyone here and GL in week 4!

tango papa

EOG Addicted

BG, always like to play against a West Coast team coming to the East Coast and playing a 1 PM game. Doesn't seem to work as well if it's a 4:05 or 4:15 game. Probably has something to do with the body's internal clock. Anyway, it's a no-handicapping situation for me, I just play it. Go Ravens.

buffettgambler

EOG Veteran

MGM,
In my opinion, the Jags have to take a long look in the mirror after losing that game, as they pretty much gave the game away by not putting the Colts away in the first half. Bad coaching and the inability of Leftwich to finish off drives was hard for me to watch. Seems like they played a bit arrogant in the first half, and once the momentum changed, there was no way they were going to get it back.

Freeze,
Really glad to see you posting here. I always enjoyed your baseball analysis elsewhere. I hope all went well with your job change and recent move. Good luck to you as well.

Tango,
That angle plays a very small part in my analysis of intangibles, but it doesn't go unoticed. I do however, feel that it should be weighted more later in the season when the west coast teams start really getting settled in to a particular time. As far as the Chargers go, they have only played on 1pm pst game this year, and are coming off a bye week, so I am not sure how much this angle will play a part in the outcome. Having said that, I do like the Ravens as well. Good luck.

I like the following three games so far and will scrutinize them a bit more:
ARI(+7/-103)
STL(-5.5/-103)
NO(+8/-115)

NO is in the very definition of a Letdown. Both CAR and NO have "fake records". NO @ CAR is on of the trickiest games on the board but I have had a nice read (i.e. Luck) on the Saints in the first games of the season.
STL is getting a bit expensive but my preliminary line was something like -7.
ARI is maybe improving to a 7-9 team. ATL is if course a justified favourite but -7 is quite a lot.

MIN(+1/+102)
I had this game as a coinflip in my book. You just have to love a coinflip at "+odds".

mgmhatesme

EOG Addicted

Arizona at Atl:
I was considering Arizona there at +7.5 but have cooled off to the idea, largely based on Kurt Warner's turnovers. Something just is not right with that guy... he needs an OL to give him time, and seems to hurry passes to avoid hits. Atlanta also coming off an embarassing MNF performance, now at home looking for some redemption. Not sure there is a play here.

SD at Balt:
Baltimore's cause just got helped with the fact that both of the Charger's starting safeties will now be out of the game -- FS Jue due to knee surgery and SS Kiel due to his arrest by the DEA, which also might prove to be a distraction. I also agree with BG and Tango that a West Coast team can come out flat for an early game but I think this angle needs to be helped a bit by the team being tired and coming off a bye week makes it less of a factor.

Jax at Washington:
Stinks for the Skins that Shawn Springs continues to miss games. This guy is a big factor for their defense and I think the Skins really have poor CB depth that can be picked on a bit by the Jags WRs - Matt Jones, Ernest Wilford, and Reggie Williams. I do think it is possible for the Jags to come out a bit flat here. Brunell going against his old team and I think he will want to prove something if he can. Amazing to me how much older this guy seems to play vs a guy like Brad Johnson though. He got a lot of credit for those 22 straight completions, but he rarely throws downfield, perhaps another ploy for a QB trying too much to avoid getting hit.

SF at KC:
KC usually has a big home field advantage and they really stunk it up in the season opener at home against the Bengals. Niners are getting some respect these days after a 2-0 ATS start to the year and then coming back a bit in the 2nd half against the Eagles. But the Chiefs -- coming off a bye week, coming off widespread criticism for a stagnant offense, I think they have a coming out party at home. Huard looked pretty decent against a tough Broncos defense on a hostile field, had a bye week last week to get some more reps, and now gets to go against a much easier defense at home.

buffettgambler

EOG Veteran

farbror,
He is playing. Line moved up to 7.5 and 8 when people thought Lineheart was the starter. No reason to assume that now, but thats probably where the line would still be if Warner weren't starting.

buffettgambler

EOG Veteran

Chargers @ Ravens
Play: Ravens +3
Comment:
Pros:
Note:
I posted the Ravens as a play shortly after the opening line came out at +3 as I felt that the spread would go down from there.

Both teams are coming into this game yet to suffer a loss. The Chargers dominated their first two opponents, but they happened to be arguably the worst two teams in the league. The Ravens have won their first three games, and although the level of their competition can be construed as higher, they have yet to play a team that has achieved a win this year as well. It is safe to say that this will be both teams first real test. It is also safe to say that these two teams might be the hardest teams to run against, leading me to believe that the quarterback will have an influential bearing on the outcome of this game. That advantage clearly goes to the proven and more experienced McNair.

Although I feel that Rivers is a quarterback with a lot of upside potential and is already better than about half the starting quarterbacks in the league right now, he simply is just not ready to play this type of game on the road. In the first two games he has had the luxury of having Tomlinson and his defense bail him out, and allow him to play the supplemental quarterback role. However, going up against the number one ranked run defense in the league, his role should certainly change. The Chargers would love to establish a running game early in this game to take the pressure off of Rivers and quiet the crowd. Although they have the best running back in football, he has been known to get shutdown in certain types of games, and this has one of those types of games written all over it. Expect the Ravens to throw a lot of complex and shifting eight and nine man fronts to dare Rivers to beat him with his arm. The Ravens already have one of the hardest front sevens in football to run against, and when they decide to stack the box, they are nearly impossible to run against, even for a running back as talented as Tomlinson. With the 8 man box, the lineman?s job will be to hold up the Chargers blockers to free up space for their linebackers to shoot the gaps before the running play gets developed. This will prevent Tomlinson from consistently hitting the higher gear, and disrupt his running plays early. The Ravens line has done an excellent job in this role during the first three games, and the Ravens have consistently shut down the opponents running game without having to stack the box. Even if the Chargers running game is not effective, they will be reluctant to abandon it, as they just don?t have the confidence in Rivers yet. This should force them into more third and longs and make the Chargers have to run inefficient plays. On passing situations, the Ravens will utilize a lot of exotic blitzes to confuse Rivers and force him into potential turnover mistakes. The Chargers would like to use a lot of short passing plays to counter the dominant pass rush the Ravens poses, however, chipping away yards via the passing game is just not something that is easily done against the Ravens. Last year, Gates was a perfect antidote for Brees to counter the pass rush, as he was able to provide him as open target on three step drop back passes. Although one would assume that would be the case for Rivers as well, there just doesn?t seem yet to be chemistry between the two players, as he did not play a big role in either of the first two games, and has only managed six catches. He will also be matched up against the best safety in the league, which might be the only safety that can handle him in one on one coverage, while the Ravens can certainly limit Gates production with doubling him with underneath linebacker coverage. With the Chargers two biggest weapons more than likely contained, the Chargers will more than likely have to look elsewhere for offensive production. However, the Chargers don?t have a solid wide receiver group, and is a finesse group that is most vulnerable against aggressive corners that use a lot of press coverage schemes. Mcallister is one of the best and most physical corners in the league who should have no problem containing McCardell. McCardell is prone to getting slow starts off the line when jammed, something McCallister does well. Mcallister also has the speed to catch up with McCardell after the press coverage. He should have no problem employing single coverage against him the entire game. The same could be said for Rolle who matches up well with an undersized Parker. This will allow the Ravens safeties to concentrate more in the middle of the field and keep their attention on Tomlinson and Gates. The Ravens have more playmakers on defense compared to any other defense in the league. They are usually a nightmare for inexperienced quarterbacks, especially when playing at home. Don?t be surprised if they are able to force Rivers into some costly turnovers, and potentially wind up in the end zone as well.

There is no denying the talent level of the Chargers defense as well, but they do have some holes in their defense that can be attacked, while the Ravens have more offensive weapons, a better balanced offense, and a more experienced quarterback that is less prone to making mistakes in a game in which mistakes should be magnified. The Chargers are one of the hardest teams to run against, and are especially difficult because of their 3-4 alignment and their athletic linebackers that make it hard to run off tackle, making it troubling for speedier backs to operate against. However, the Ravens use a grind it out running game that isn?t designed to pick up the big yardage, rather utilized to wear down the opposing defense and allow for a balanced offensive attack. Expect them to use Lewis to run straight at the defense, forcing their undersized linebacker to have to make head point tackles. This power running tactic should allow the Ravens to be able to grind out tough yards, and allow McNair to operate in more manageable third down situations. With the inexperience at safety, the inconsistent play of their cornerbacks, and the multiple offensive weapons the Ravens have in their passing game, it will also allow Lewis to be able to run against seven man fronts, where he is much more dangerous. Unlike the Chargers, the Ravens have some compelling match ups in their passing game that they could take advantage of. The Chargers might have to play with two backup safeties that lack experience. This is not something you want against the Ravens passing game and against McNair, as he heavily relies on inner hash passing plays that are highly dependent on the quality of play of the opposition?s safeties. He also has a top three receiving tight end that can certainly take advantage of the inexperience the Chargers have at safety, and provide McNair with a solid outlet option to counter the Chargers top tier pass rush. Mason has really developed chemistry with McNair already. Although he will more than likely have the Chargers best corner, Jammer, on him throughout the game, this is appears to be a good match up for him. Jammer is still a raw cornerback that could have match up problems with the better route runners in the league like Mason. The cornerback depth is lacking on the Chargers as well, which should provide McNair receiving options across the field. McNair is most comfortable with short drop passing schemes that should be able to offset the pass rush of the Chargers. Their pass rush in the first two games helped hide the suspect secondary which the Chargers pose. The majority of the pass rush has been heavily dependent on Marriman, who is one of the biggest defensive forces in football. Although Ogden has lost a step in his game, he is still one of the best tackles in the league, and should help contain Marriman. Expect a better balanced attack from the Ravens offense. It is also an offense that is less prone to making mistakes. They are built for physical games such as this, and just got finished playing a defense that uses a 3-4 alignment, so they should be better prepared to know what to expect from the Chargers.

Home field advantage in this game is also magnified. The Ravens are quickly becoming one of the hardest teams to beat at home, and even in last years down and out season, was a difficult challenge for most teams in their own backyard. The crowd should also be a problem for Rivers.

Cons:
Coming off bye weeks, teams have the hardest time adjusting to the speed of the game. The physicality part of the game is often helped by an extra week of rest. This makes teams like the Falcons and Colts dangerous teams to play coming off bye weeks, and teams like the Ravens and ideal team to play. In a game which should be decided in the trenches and establishing a ground game, the Chargers have a big offensive line and best running back in the league to fall back on. Even if the Ravens are the hardest team in the league to run against, you can never underestimate the potential of Tomlinson. The Ravens have a very complex defense that is designed to confuse quarterbacks. Having two weeks to prepare for this defense is a nice embedded asset for a quarterback. Lewis is a little banged up, and running room should be hard to find for him. Lewis has always had problems running against stacked boxes, as it allowed penetration before hitting a second gear. Although the Chargers are more than likely going to rely on their front seven to stop Lewis, it is a top tier front seven that is built to prevent running backs from getting their running play developed. McNair looked out of sync last week, and his accuracy was a bit off. Heap is banged up, and his effectiveness is a question mark. The Ravens key to success is to pressure Rivers. Suggs is a premier pass rusher who has a big advantage of the rookie left tackle on the Chargers. However, he too is fighting an injury, and might not be able to play in Sunday?s game.

Conclusion:
This game has the makings of a playoff type game. Both teams are as physical as they come and have the makings of a close game. Home field advantage, big plays on defense, and experience at quarterback should prove to big advantages favoring the Chargers. Simply put, wrong team favored. In my opinion, the Ravens should win this game outright.

mgmhatesme

EOG Addicted

Excellent analysis here BG. I admit this pick did not jump out to me at all, but I am warming up to the idea. With the current odds at +2.5 for Baltimore, curious if you prefer taking the ML here at +125 or buying the line to +3? I guess it is a matter of betting style, but I wont play it at +2.5 as it is on my site now, preferring instead to buy the half point or play the ML. I am leaning toward the ML if I decide to take Baltimore here, as its nice to get in a few + odds wagers here and there with my betting style.