The Minnesota Twins

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
Was Joe Mauer that much of an albatross?

It's not like they're getting lucky... their record is exactly what it should be given their run differential.

That said, they can't keep this up, can they?

Polanco has gone from above average to squarely in the center of the early MVP chatter. Both Cron and Buxton have much-improved plate discipline. Adrianza has 4 homers in 78 at bats, after hitting 11 in his previous 788. Rosario started slowly but has been as hot as the rest of them the last 2 weeks.

I think the rotation holds up, with the exception of Perez who is due for some serious regression. (and probably sooner rather than later.)

Some regression is also almost certain with the bats, and once they cool off some bullpen warts will get exposed.

Having said all that, given how little Cleveland did to improve themselves this off-season, I think you've gotta make the Twins a solid favorite to win the division at this point.

They have certainly been fun to watch during this run.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I was going to start a thread about them myself but you beat me to it. I’m not sure how good they really are, the division is that bad. I’m sure I’ve missed the boat on them.

The Mauer contract was an albatross, didn’t help that he was a hometown guy. The other albatross was Gardenhire. Now look at the Tigers and he is managing them the same way. The Tigers have an awful position roster in The manager’s mold, and are last in scoring. Ironic they have a boat anchor contract in Miggy also.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Cleveland should be close to breaking it up and starting over. They haven’t been able to take on more salary since the WS year in ‘16, now Kluber and other key pieces are really depreciating.

mr merlin

EOG Master
YES, YES, YES, Joe Mauer was an albatross. His best years were 6-10 years in the past and they still talked him up like he was their best player, a team leader(what a laugh), for instance, last year they talked up his fielding as if he was the best 1'st baseman in that regard, every time he dug a low throw out it would be endless praise. Now we have Cron and he's better, digging out the same throws, making plays, EXCEPT he also hit's, will prob hit close to 30 hr's vs Mauers 6-8.

The whole team dynamic has changed with the new mgmt, this year Buxton is just swinging naturally, leading the league in doubles. Last few years they told him to bunt a lot and try to hit the ball on the ground to beat out hits.

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry
its a bit surreal here on the twins. nobody wants to pinch themselves. quite a story. gardy was terrible. MAuer to many double plays and not in right part of order, they got some new guys and obviously some attitudes and responsibilities. somehow we have enough starting pitching now and for AL anyway looks decent, they need to get one more horse at some point starter for post season which im sure they will do. Gardy was pretty bad last couple but good guy. fun story. hopefully no SI cover jinx on the way

bomzee

EOG Dedicated
How can one not be impressed with the Best record in MLB two months into the season with a healthy 9 game lead over division rival Cleveland that seems to win every day and most of the wins are not close . Very impressive ..

MrTop

EOG Master
yankees are not 100% and will they ever be ?

IMO twins are the 3rd or 4th best team in the A.L . The reason no pitching compared to the yanks and astros

twins can field and hit though.

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
YES, YES, YES, Joe Mauer was an albatross. His best years were 6-10 years in the past and they still talked him up like he was their best player, a team leader(what a laugh), for instance, last year they talked up his fielding as if he was the best 1'st baseman in that regard, every time he dug a low throw out it would be endless praise. Now we have Cron and he's better, digging out the same throws, making plays, EXCEPT he also hit's, will prob hit close to 30 hr's vs Mauers 6-8.

The whole team dynamic has changed with the new mgmt, this year Buxton is just swinging naturally, leading the league in doubles. Last few years they told him to bunt a lot and try to hit the ball on the ground to beat out hits.

All great points, Merlin. I *kinda* get it re: Mauer. Hometown kid, likable/approachable guy, did tons in the community, etc. That kind of attention can mask the aging process and albatross contracts, at least for awhile. To Try3's point though, I never did understand why he batted leadoff or 2nd in the order so often.

its a bit surreal here on the twins. nobody wants to pinch themselves. quite a story. gardy was terrible. MAuer to many double plays and not in right part of order, they got some new guys and obviously some attitudes and responsibilities. somehow we have enough starting pitching now and for AL anyway looks decent, they need to get one more horse at some point starter for post season which im sure they will do. Gardy was pretty bad last couple but good guy. fun story. hopefully no SI cover jinx on the way

I agree with this and I'm kinda surprised they're not in the Keuchel sweepstakes. The only teams I've heard him linked to are the Rays and Yankees (of course)

They REALLY need another left-handed starter. As I mentioned above I don't think there's any way that Martin Perez can keep this up.

Last edited:

MrTop

EOG Master
agree the twins need more pitching. Keuchel could be their man. Need another arm in the pen. The twins won't get past both the yanks & the astros in playoffs.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
agree the twins need more pitching. Keuchel could be their man. Need another arm in the pen. The twins won't get past both the yanks or the astros in playoffs.

But maybe the Yankees do Minnesota's dirty work by eliminating the Astros.

Heim

EOG Master
In the mlb pre-season thread I pointed out they were heavy play in the future and RSW (over) market. They didn't look like
much on paper but many knew something. Now Sano a factor too.

sharky99

EOG Dedicated
quite the stat that they are only the 2nd team in MLB History to have over 100+ home runs in the first 50 games

MrTop

EOG Master
Yankees best pitcher hasn't pitched this year. probably a month away. Yankees playing without their 2 top homerun hitters too

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
I have the Twins to win the WS at 55/1, needless to say I'm a Twins fan this year

Nice. But the Twins need to show they can do this in October and the jury is still out on that and will be until we get to October

railbird

EOG Master
Nice. But the Twins need to show they can do this in October and the jury is still out on that and will be until we get to October
the dodgers get their ass kicked every october. twins win more, but are 60 cents cheaper than dodgers, a much better day to day wager

Valuist

EOG Master
When
All great points, Merlin. I *kinda* get it re: Mauer. Hometown kid, likable/approachable guy, did tons in the community, etc. That kind of attention can mask the aging process and albatross contracts, at least for awhile. To Try3's point though, I never did understand why he batted leadoff or 2nd in the order so often.

I agree with this and I'm kinda surprised they're not in the Keuchel sweepstakes. The only teams I've heard him linked to are the Rays and Yankees (of course)

They REALLY need another left-handed starter. As I mentioned above I don't think there's any way that Martin Perez can keep this up.

Remember Esteban Loaiza? He was a mediocre journeyman for the Pirates for several years. Back in early 2000s, he came over to the White Sox. He got off to a great start and everyone said he would regress. He never did, at least for that season. He ended up starting the All Star game for the AL and won over 20 games. He finally regressed the next season. Sometimes it's just being healthy or working with a new pitching coach. Getting away from Texas didn't hurt, either.

kane

EOG master
the dodgers get their ass kicked every october. twins win more, but are 60 cents cheaper than dodgers, a much better day to day wager

That's because 85-100% of their ownership are faggots, this is common knowledge

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated

When

Remember Esteban Loaiza? He was a mediocre journeyman for the Pirates for several years. Back in early 2000s, he came over to the White Sox. He got off to a great start and everyone said he would regress. He never did, at least for that season. He ended up starting the All Star game for the AL and won over 20 games. He finally regressed the next season. Sometimes it's just being healthy or working with a new pitching coach. Getting away from Texas didn't hurt, either.

Perez scratched from tonight's start. I haven't heard details yet.

TobyTyler

EOG Dedicated
Somebody on MLB network (forget who) said Berrios will win the Cy Young with a monster second half...I always liked his stuff real nasty

MrTop

EOG Master
Twins 1-5 since CF bruxton went on DL . When it comes to playing CF Bruxton one of the better defensive CF in the game. Bruxton 3rd with 10 defensive runs saved. Bruxton returns Tuesday for the yankee game

kane

EOG master
The Indians have closed the gap to 3 games, of course it helps when you get to play the worst teams every day. In a 40 game stretch, the Indians will play the Tigers, Royals, Orioles, and Jays, a total of 29 times

mr merlin

EOG Master
The Twins need to add a pitcher I think
Yes they do, but we've been hearing it for months now and they do nothing. If any team needs to win now it's the twins, we may not have another chance for years. Some of these guys could be having career years.