#1 Mater Dei v. #2 St. John Bosco HS

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
RAILBIRD's selection service charges $9 per play.

Good news: His line service is offered for only $4.50 per day.

railbird

EOG Master
bosco raids longbeach and other 562 kids. mater dei is like utah they get every polynesian kid in the state and are good at recruting the best 7th and 8 th grade qbs

railbird

EOG Master
when i was 10 and he was 12 Pat Dubar was throwing 75 mph fastballs at me, he went on to be a great pitcher for pepperdine and was a head hunting strong safety at mater dei in the mid 80s. he also started one of the top punk bands around called uniform choice. He is the current linebacker coach for mater dei, and was the center point of the hazing incident last yr

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Thanks for sharing, BIRDIE.

Please ignore VD when he enters this thread to rain on your parade.

Heim

EOG Master
High school football in Cali has become a pick and choose.

There are no longer strict residency requirements. This is regarding public schools.

In my area anyone (men) who has any athleticism goes to the newer and bigger Yorba Linda High (no residence restrictions). Meanwhile other area schools slowly become little book stores dwarfed by Amazon going under in athletics.

The only sports that maintain the status quo are women. Most woman go to schools in their area.

Cali sports is starting to resemble the NBA...a few elite, most trying to stay above water to compete.

Last edited:

ComptrBob

EOG Master
High school football in Cali has become a pick and choose.

There are no longer strict residency requirements. This is regarding public schools.

In my area anyone (men) who has any athleticism goes to the newer and bigger Yorba Linda High (no residence restrictions). Meanwhile the other schools slowly become little book stores dwarfed by Amazon going under in athletics.

The only sports that maintain the status quo are women. Most woman go to schools in their area.

Not that they are any good, but Nevada's women basketball roster has 5 from Cal, 2 from Ore, 1 from Ariz, 1 from Colo, 1 from Okla, 2 from Nevada (1 from LV and 1 from Reno), so just one from hometown.

Heim

EOG Master
Interesting that MD coach, winningest coach in CA history mysteriously decides to retire after saying
he was coming back.

common guy

EOG Senior Member
Interesting that MD coach, winningest coach in CA history mysteriously decides to retire after saying
he was coming back.
He did not "decide". The OC Diocese finally grew a pair and decided physically violent rape hazing wasn't ok and the coach that encourage it must go.

Murphy’s Best

EOG Dedicated
Rollo got away with a lot of non sense in that program & that does not include the recruiting of players since there are no boundaries. The most famous was 2 kids from Rancho Cucamonga HS who transferred in to Mater Dei the summer of their senior season & after winning the championship transferred right back to Rancho Cucamonga. They spent 4 months at Mater Dei….

railbird

EOG Master
He did not "decide". The OC Diocese finally grew a pair and decided physically violent rape hazing wasn't ok and the coach that encourage it must go.
no rape, they were playing face slap game. pat dubar was the nearest coach to the incident. Eric Johnson likely the new head coach

Murphy’s Best

EOG Dedicated
Yes the private schools (Mater Dei, St John Bosco & Sierra Canyon among others) play the hold back game. Their freshman enter school as 15 & 16 year olds after repeating 8th grade! Then you add in the undocumented kids where you can’t prove their age & boom you have the secret sauce! But you also need a supportive administration since most of these kids parents can’t afford the tuition. Secret endowments help with financial aid to make sure they can “afford” to send their kid to school. I won’t even mention the vans & drivers who pick the kids up & make sure they can get to school…

railbird

EOG Master
Yes the private schools (Mater Dei, St John Bosco & Sierra Canyon among others) play the hold back game. Their freshman enter school as 15 & 16 year olds after repeating 8th grade! Then you add in the undocumented kids where you can’t prove their age & boom you have the secret sauce! But you also need a supportive administration since most of these kids parents can’t afford the tuition. Secret endowments help with financial aid to make sure they can “afford” to send their kid to school. I won’t even mention the vans & drivers who pick the kids up & make sure they can get to school…
Then there is a transfer portal, where any public school kids that have big sophomore yrs will get a knock on the door from a coach at matter dei service or sjb