1972 Miami Dolphins

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
<TABLE class=mainbigaq id=table2 style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" borderColor=#006666 cellPadding=4 border=4><TBODY><TR><TD class=headingbgwh>Date</TD><TD class=headingbgwh>Opponent</TD><TD class=headingbgwh>Score</TD><TD class=headingbgwh>Attendance</TD></TR><TR><TD class=headingbgblk>9/17/72</TD><TD>at Kansas City</TD><TD>20-10</TD><TD>78,736</TD></TR><TR><TD class=headingbgblk>9/24/72</TD><TD>Houston</TD><TD>34-13</TD><TD>75,069</TD></TR><TR><TD class=headingbgblk>10/1/72</TD><TD>at Minnesota</TD><TD>16-14</TD><TD>45,766</TD></TR><TR><TD class=headingbgblk>10/8/72</TD><TD>at New York Jets</TD><TD>27-17</TD><TD>61,720</TD></TR><TR><TD class=headingbgblk>10/15/72</TD><TD>San Diego</TD><TD>24-10</TD><TD>78,212</TD></TR><TR><TD class=headingbgblk>10/22/72</TD><TD>Buffalo</TD><TD>24-23</TD><TD>78,175</TD></TR><TR><TD class=headingbgblk>10/29/72</TD><TD>at Baltimore</TD><TD>23-0</TD><TD>59,303</TD></TR><TR><TD class=headingbgblk>11/5/72</TD><TD>at Buffalo</TD><TD>30-16</TD><TD>45,659</TD></TR><TR><TD class=headingbgblk>11/12/72</TD><TD>New England</TD><TD>52-0</TD><TD>78,148</TD></TR><TR><TD class=headingbgblk>11/19/72</TD><TD>New York Jets</TD><TD>28-24</TD><TD>78,166</TD></TR><TR><TD class=headingbgblk>11/27/72</TD><TD>St. Louis</TD><TD>31-10</TD><TD>78,190</TD></TR><TR><TD class=headingbgblk>12/3/72</TD><TD>at New England</TD><TD>37-21</TD><TD>60,144</TD></TR><TR><TD class=headingbgblk>12/10/72</TD><TD>at New York Giants</TD><TD>23-13</TD><TD>62,728</TD></TR><TR><TD class=headingbgblk>12/16/72</TD><TD>Baltimore</TD><TD>16-0</TD><TD>78,202</TD></TR><TR><TD class=headingbgwh colSpan=4>Playoffs</TD></TR><TR><TD class=headingbgblk>12/24/72</TD><TD>Cleveland</TD><TD>20-14</TD><TD>78,196</TD></TR><TR><TD class=headingbgblk>12/31/72</TD><TD>at Pittsburgh</TD><TD>21-17</TD><TD>50,350</TD></TR><TR><TD class=headingbgwh colSpan=4>Super Bowl VII (Los Angeles, CA)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=headingbgblk>1/14/73</TD><TD>Washington</TD><TD>14-7</TD><TD>85,462</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Nice run

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Flashback 1972: Miami Survives Closest Call[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]By Sal Maiorana
NFL Insider[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Oct. 1, 1972 -- the Minnesota Vikings had a chance to alter history and eliminate the Dolphins from future "greatest team" arguments. Instead, the Vikings blew an eight-point lead in the final four minutes and lost a 16-14 decision.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]This was Miami's toughest game of the year, one of only three games in which it trailed in the fourth quarter. Take it from former Dolphins coach Don Shula.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]"The game I remember most is the Minnesota game," he says. "We needed ten points to win it. I chose to go for a field goal first and Garo Yepremian kicked a 51-yarder. Then we had to get the ball back, which we did, and we drove down for the touchdown. We needed those points, and we got them."[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]I[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]t was a glorious fall day in Minneapolis, with 70-degree temperatures, clear skies, and the wind a very mild 7 miles per hour. Metropolitan Stadium, site of so many cold, snowy affairs, could have been the Orange Bowl on this spectacular day as the Dolphins met the NFC powerhouse Vikings.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]The Vikings' renowned Purple People Eaters defense stuffed Miami on the opening possession, and Minnesota struck paydirt on its fifth offensive snap when Fran Tarkenton fired a 56-yard touchdown pass to John Gilliam for a 7-0 lead.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]The Dolphins, who would go on to set an NFL single-season rushing record of 2,960 yards, were unable to establish their punishing ground attack in the first half. Larry Csonka and Mercury Morris, who would become the first teammates to surpass 1,000 yards rushing each, were stymied again and again by the tremendous Minnesota defense led by Alan Page, Carl Eller, Jim Marshall, and linebacker Wally Hilgenberg.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Miami's passing game didn't fare any better, as Bob Griese completed just 5 of 14 attempts for 24 yards before the intermission. However, the Dolphins' No-Name defense was equally stingy after Gilliam's lightning-bolt score. On Minnesota's next six possessions, it gained a total of 70 yards.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Fittingly, Miami's first points were set up by the defense, as cornerback Tim Foley picked off a Tarkenton pass on the third play of the third quarter to set up Yepremian's 38-yard field goal. After a Minnesota punt, the Dolphins mounted a 42-yard drive that ended with Yepremian's 42-yard field goal, and with 9:37 gone in the quarter the Dolphins were within a point at 7-6.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]The Vikings responded, however, as Bill Brown's 1-yard plunge on fourth down capped a 13-play, 80-yard drive for a 14-6 lead 33 seconds into the final period. Given the way Minnesota's defense was playing, the eight-point deficit seemed insurmountable, especially when linebacker Roy Winston picked off a Griese pass on the ensuing series.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Undaunted, the Dolphins refused to quit. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Griese drove them into position for Yepremian's 51-yard field goal, which at the time was the longest of his career and in club history. The key was a fourth-and-1 gamble from the Miami 29 that Morris converted with a 3-yard run.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]"If we'd given up then and punted, behind 14-6, we would have had too little time to score both a field goal and a touchdown," Griese said.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Now it was up to the Miami defense to get the ball back for Griese, and it did so in three plays. Mike Eischeid's punt was fair caught by Dick Anderson at the Miami 41 with 2:11 remaining.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Facing a second-and-8 situation, the Dolphins benefited from a marginal 15-yard roughing-the-passer penalty on Minnesota defensive tackle Bob Lurtsema that resulted in a first down at the Vikings' 42.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]"Don Shula still sends me a Christmas card every year thanking me," Lurtsema recalled, wryly.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]A 14-yard Morris run and two Howard Twilley receptions later, Miami was at the 3, at which point Griese found tight end Jim Mandich wide open in the end zone for the winning score with 1:28 to play.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]The Dolphins' march to perfection was still on track -- barely.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]"That was the game that really made us," Dolphins guard Bob Kuechenberg said. "Those were the Vikings in the heyday of the Purple People Eaters. We didn't know how good we were yet, but we found out."[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]SOURCES: Miami Herald, Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel, Minneapolis Star-Tribune, Tampa Tribune, Fort Myers (Fla.) News-Press, New York Times, Sports Illustra[/SIZE][/FONT]

opotus

EOG Veteran
wantitall4moi said:
Greatest thing is they were undefeated and STILL had to win on the road to make the SB.

Why was that?! Pittsburgh wasn't undefeated, too. I am not clueless, I thought I would have known this piece of trivia.???

when the NFL went to the AFC and NFC format in 1970 playoff games rotated among divsion winners each year

1970 - With the AFL-NFL Merger, an eight-team playoff tournament is designed. Along with the six division winners, one wild card team from each conference, the second place team with the best record, is added to the tournament. However, the rule was made that two teams from the same division could not meet prior to the Conference Championship games. Furthermore, home teams in the playoffs were decided based on a yearly divisional rotation.

Begining in 1975 swicth to best record would be home team

1975 - The surviving clubs with the best regular season records were made the home teams for each playoff round.

Pondering a possible 16-0 with your Colts? 6-0, having played no top shelf team leaves room for debate. Imo, Manning is right there for best passer in NFL history. He has paid his dues. Colts can run the ball, and Dungy's stamp is now on the improved defense. IF they snag home field, I believe it's on to the Bowl.

(Dungy over the years has appeared somewhat as if waiting for the other shoe to drop. Reminds a bit of Fontes, "fourth quarter. Damn. I'm leading but what's going beat me this time." I'm pulling for Dungy, he's an elite NFL coach. I hope he's not a perennial also ran.)

dirty

EOG Master
Manning is this Generations Dan Marino

He has never won a Big game in his Career.......(one playoff win) in his NFL career....

He will choke just like always....Manning is a ***got Fuck :cocktail:cocktail:frustrate