2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

rico1

EOG Master
Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

Truthfully, I love zobrist but his defense is starting to suffer at 2B so I think you’ll see him mostly in left and right giving people days off and a few at 2B when Baez shifts over to SS

My opinion is it will be "charity" if they do not D-F-A him

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Interesting thing about the Cubs, there’s not one single roster spot open on the 25 man roster. Pretty much a zero competition camp barring an injury.

lol

yeah you told me Harvey was better than Lester a few years ago too. I'll stick with my evaluations of pitchers. 12io4j2w90

you also told me Matz was better than Hendricks. :pop:

More deflection from you.

You think darvish and hendricks are better than syndergaard and degrom?

Yes or no.

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated

Jose Bautista heading to Tampa on a 1 or 2 year deal it appears. Think that guy regrets his rejecting the jays when they offered a extension?! Wow.
Arrieta, Cobb and Lynn all in talks with Phillies and Orioles. If you are looking for a little + equity and aren't opposed to taking over on a rsw a flyer on eithers rsw over will probably garner you some CLV.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

Jose Bautista heading to Tampa on a 1 or 2 year deal it appears. Think that guy regrets his rejecting the jays when they offered a extension?! Wow.
Arrieta, Cobb and Lynn all in talks with Phillies and Orioles. If you are looking for a little + equity and aren't opposed to taking over on a rsw a flyer on eithers rsw over will probably garner you some CLV.
I think the Phillies total has been moving up while the O’s have been moving down. Those contracts are getting to the point where a team could snag one cheap and flip it at the trade deadline.

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated

I think the Phillies total has been moving up while the O’s have been moving down. Those contracts are getting to the point where a team could snag one cheap and flip it at the trade deadline.

Orioles moving down rightfully so as you could be holding a ticket of a roster on the move come All star Break however if they grab any of those top 3 FA arms they could have a solid 1-2-3 Bundy-Gausman- X.

Im super intrigued with Moustakis. Mlb went from deprived of 3rd baseman to it being the deepest position in MLB. I can't seem to find a potential playoff team and even then if Baltimore struggles you have Machado and possibly same with Donaldson and Toronto on the move and Freese is already being shopped one would think.
Maybe St. Louis?

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

Orioles moving down rightfully so as you could be holding a ticket of a roster on the move come All star Break however if they grab any of those top 3 FA arms they could have a solid 1-2-3 Bundy-Gausman- X.

Im super intrigued with Moustakis. Mlb went from deprived of 3rd baseman to it being the deepest position in MLB. I can't seem to find a potential playoff team and even then if Baltimore struggles you have Machado and possibly same with Donaldson and Toronto on the move and Freese is already being shopped one would think.
Maybe St. Louis?

A crazy idea but if Heyward continues his poor hitting, the cubs could move Bryant to RF and trade for a 3B.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

A crazy idea but if Heyward continues his poor hitting, the cubs could move Bryant to RF and trade for a 3B.

This is Heyward's sink or swim year

If he has another year offensively like the last 2, he will get dumped to the highest bidder in the off season and Cubs will likely pay 60-70% of his contract to do it.

Someone will convince themselves they can fix his swing.

High3rEl3m3nt

EOG Dedicated

Any strong opinions on the AL West, past the Astros? M's win total feels a little high.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR

Just because he has played a lot of positions doesn’t mean you want him to play them now.

My comment is BZ is a more versatile player than Baez, not who is better. You can agree or disagree.

Plays more positions, bats from both sides of the plate, even pitched in college.

For a coach like Maddon he is a perfect fit.

Yes, stunk it up last year and career may be close to over but still the most versatile player the Cubs have....

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated

Any strong opinions on the AL West, past the Astros? M's win total feels a little high.

The Ms even if hernandez and paxton stay healthy have the worst 4&5 in a rotation I can remember for a team projected to win 82. Bullpen is awful as well. Lineup though is downright filthy.

Not a single easy out and Gordon is a humungous upgrade over Dyson and all other leadoff hitters they tried last yr. They are going to be a hard club to put away. I passed on them all together and they have resources to add a major arm via trade etc.

I think Rangers have potential to be the worst team in MLB. I bet them under 77.5 my only big rsw wager. I like the A's a little but lost my nerve on betting overs on rsws last couple years.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

My comment is BZ is a more versatile player than Baez, not who is better. You can agree or disagree.

Plays more positions, bats from both sides of the plate, even pitched in college.

For a coach like Maddon he is a perfect fit.

Yes, stunk it up last year and career may be close to over but still the most versatile player the Cubs have....
I understood the point, I think he lost a lot last year. I don’t want to see him with 350+ AB’s, too many players hitting their prime right now.

Valuist

EOG Master

Again, Zobrist more versatile defensively than Baez.

Javy getting educated tonite.....

Youre welcome. :)

There is no truth to that statement. Not even remotely close.

Zobrist is not the same player he was a few years ago, and at his best, he had nowhere near Baez's range.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Zobrist is not the same player he was a few years ago, and at his best, he had nowhere near Baez's range.

I'm not sure why Patty takes these stances. Baez is probably one of the 4 or 5 most gifted athletes in major league baseball. He could play any position on the field reasonably well.

Again, I think this is a product of him actually being left handed but being raised as a right handed fielder and hitter.

If he ever learns an ounce of discipline at the plate, he is likely going to be a super star. But it seems unlikely at this point.

billysink

EOG Dedicated

I understood the point, I think he lost a lot last year. I don’t want to see him with 350+ AB’s, too many players hitting their prime right now.

16.5 million for that?

A lot of money tied up in players that can't play to their valuation.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

16.5 million for that?

Do you have any idea how much money the Cubs are going to make off their 2016 championship? Like even a fucking clue?

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Zobrist paid for his contract in full with one swing of the bat. :lightbulb:

I saw some idiot whining about how it was a lucky hit because the 3B was off the line.

Another clueless clown who knows nothing about baseball. He must post at EOG too.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

16.5 million for that?

Preaching to the choir. That’s how the cubs have been paying. It works as long as you have a bunch of cheap difference makers.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR

A good start would be you googling the definition of versatile.

Yes, we have all commented hes not the quality of player he used to be nor does it have to do with range, LOL.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Preaching to the choir. That’s how the cubs have been paying. It works as long as you have a bunch of cheap difference makers.

Zobrist was offered more money by the Mets and Nationals, if I recall correctly.

People need to stop evaluating young players and veterans using the same criteria. If you don't spend on guys like Lester and Zobrist then you have young inexperienced guys taking those big at bats and big starts. Not ideal.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

I'm not sure why Patty takes these stances. Baez is probably one of the 4 or 5 most gifted athletes in major league baseball. He could play any position on the field reasonably well.

Again, I think this is a product of him actually being left handed but being raised as a right handed fielder and hitter.

If he ever learns an ounce of discipline at the plate, he is likely going to be a super star. But it seems unlikely at this point.

Seriously? Name the top five most gifted.....I will wait.....

High3rEl3m3nt

EOG Dedicated

The Ms even if hernandez and paxton stay healthy have the worst 4&5 in a rotation I can remember for a team projected to win 82. Bullpen is awful as well. Lineup though is downright filthy.

Not a single easy out and Gordon is a humungous upgrade over Dyson and all other leadoff hitters they tried last yr. They are going to be a hard club to put away. I passed on them all together and they have resources to add a major arm via trade etc.

I think Rangers have potential to be the worst team in MLB. I bet them under 77.5 my only big rsw wager. I like the A's a little but lost my nerve on betting overs on rsws last couple years.

Thank you for sharing your opinion, Drink :cheers

Valuist

EOG Master

The Giants are projected right around 82, and their 4th and 5th starting spots are quite bad.

Valuist

EOG Master

They are projected with + WARP, unlike Seattle or comparable to Milwaukee.

Blach and Stratton right around 1 WAR projections. Erasmo Ramirez right at 1 WAR. Not sure who the 5th starter is for the Mariners at this point, but I suspect it could be several guys who came up last year. So I would say the Giants are right around the level of the Mariners. If they are higher, it is only very marginally.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Keuchel saying "We're not the Cubs" to signal that there won't be a world series hangover is really stupid trash talk.

2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 World Series winners missed the playoffs the next year. Cubs went to the NLCS.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Schwarber has really quieted down the excess movement in his batting stance.

Might lead to a decrease in MrTop posts rambling about his strikeouts.

In related news, Ian Happ having a great spring. Crushing the ball. 9-21 with 4 HR. We'll see if that continues.

billysink

EOG Dedicated

In related news, Ian Happ having a great spring. Crushing the ball. 9-21 with 4 HR. We'll see if that continues.

Schwarber 6-18 with 1 HR, 1 RBI

8 Strikeouts

MrTop

EOG Master

spring is still in the air.... post mr swarber weight when it counts

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated

Javy I am going to please ask that you start a cubs discussion thread. There's a MLB discussion thread and this is a HOT STOVE THREAD. I click on it when it has been bumped and assume that someone has been signed that would be pertinent to me considering a rsw, future wager. I am very interested in these things and not at all with Shwarber and Happ currently.

I will read the cubs thread as well and contribute any opinion that comes to mind in it. Thanks in advance.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Javy I am going to please ask that you start a cubs discussion thread. There's a MLB discussion thread and this is a HOT STOVE THREAD. I click on it when it has been bumped and assume that someone has been signed that would be pertinent to me considering a rsw, future wager. I am very interested in these things and not at all with Shwarber and Happ currently.

I will read the cubs thread as well and contribute any opinion that comes to mind in it. Thanks in advance.

Nah. Not the first to mention Schwarber’s potential well being this year. Address it to that person. Also you’ve posted off topic plenty of times yourself. Nature of the forum. Hope you’re doing well drink.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Doing well thanks now gfy

Just quit being a fool man. If you’re not going to post the same condescending post the next time Viejo or mrtop chimes in about schwarber out of left field I don’t see why you’d care to read an insightful post from someone who knows the game.

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated

Im in no mood to debate with you. I asked politely a reasonable request in a reasonable manner and you told me to fuck off so I returned the favor. All good.
Moustakis back to KC
Cargo back to Col
Arrietta rumored to San Diego rumor heating up. Holland and halos in talks are important to me currently and the rest of baseball futures shoppers. Your opinion on cubs players is not. Regardless talk it up Im not going to stop you.
Was a simple request. Take care