2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

JavyBaez9

EOG Master
Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

someone said it earlier...swarber to the redsox...... I could see it happening ....redsox zero power.

Nah Red Sox would never want to trade for the guy many scouts have compared to David Ortiz

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Rumor is Cubs/Rays renewed Baez for Archer framework

Could be nonsense though, they've been linked on this 3 years in a row.

Valuist

EOG Master

According to Comcast Bay Area, the Giants should NOT make a move to trade for Justin Hayward. Apparently he still has touring obligations with the Moody Blues.

rico1

EOG Master

Heyman says the top three "Stanton suitors": Giants, Phillies, Cardinals. Stanton wants to play on either the west or east coast. Imagine 75-78 starts at Citizens Bank Park. How many HR's would he hit there alone?

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

David Ross taking over bigger role for Cubs next year... great news, would love to see him take over for Maddon sooner rather than later.

David Ross taking over bigger role for Cubs next year... great news, would love to see him take over for Maddon sooner rather than later.

His schedule must have opened up after he was on dancing with the stars.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

back to back meh years + an arm scare at the end of last year definitely sinks Archer's value a bit. Cubs don't need to overpay for him.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

back to back meh years + an arm scare at the end of last year definitely sinks Archer's value a bit. Cubs don't need to overpay for him.

Unfortunately the entire pitching market is based on overpaying. Now it comes down to how many years you can stomach, because someone will think more of the same pitcher.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Seen a few guys list the Cubs as their favorite for Ohtani. If true, that would mean Theo would be promising him he could play LF sometimes.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Alex Cobb to Cubs seems likely... I'll take a rotation of Lester, Hendricks, Ohtani, Quintana, Cobb

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

I think the Yankees will get the Japanese star....

And now it seems a lock that Cobb will sign with the Cubs...

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Cobb won't be enough for Cubs. Need someone better than Quintana so they don't have to rely on Quintana. He's a pussy.

Seen a few guys list the Cubs as their favorite for Ohtani. If true, that would mean Theo would be promising him he could play LF sometimes.

Ive always thought Rangers would re-sign Darvish and Otani would sign wherever Darvish goes. I know you've said multiple times you think Darvish will sign with Dodgers which might very well happen. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Ive always thought Rangers would re-sign Darvish and Otani would sign wherever Darvish goes. I know you've said multiple times you think Darvish will sign with Dodgers which might very well happen. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

Where did I say Darvish will sign with the Dodgers? He's going to get overpaid. IF the Dodgers were smart, they'd overpay Arrieta vs overpaying Darvish, but I don't think they are, even if you are convinced they are since they have recently hired the most sabermetric people.

But the only teams that are going to sign Darvish are the teams that have the pocketbooks to overpay people. The Dodgers have overpaid 8 starting pitchers in the last 3 years alone, so sure, they are a prime candidate.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Since money is capped, the team that gets Ohtani will likely be the one that:

1) at least has a Japanese presence in the community
2) Convinces him that he will have a legitimate chance to earn at bats/time in LF

It seems the Yanks are the frontrunner for Otani, but I don"t see him getting too many at bats as a LF/ DH.

He really is better suited to play in the NL.

I doubt he is going to hit so well that he is a better option in the OF than a regular AL outfielder.I am sure any team would be happy to just have him pitch well.

No player ( I can think of ) has pitched and played a position regularly between starts, not even Babe Ruth.

I think he isn't going to be able to live up to this hype.

MrTop

EOG Master

espn says cubs could win 109 in 2018....easily.....article by sam miller

kane

EOG master

He wants to play on the west coast, turning down the opportunity to play for two of the best organizations in baseball tells you all you need to know, I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't want to play for either of those teams. The problem is, so far the Marlins have been asking for a ton in return, but if they're reducing payroll from 140 to 90 like they said, I don't know how they do it without moving Stanton, so they'll end up moving him for a lesser package than what they might have otherwise gotten, other teams know he's likely to be dealt, so they'll low ball the Marlins, this will end up a disaster for Miami just like the Miggy trade

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Cardinals will be stuck behind the Cubs for quite a while as long as Theo and his team is around.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

He wants to play on the west coast, turning down the opportunity to play for two of the best organizations in baseball tells you all you need to know, I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't want to play for either of those teams. The problem is, so far the Marlins have been asking for a ton in return, but if they're reducing payroll from 140 to 90 like they said, I don't know how they do it without moving Stanton, so they'll end up moving him for a lesser package than what they might have otherwise gotten, other teams know he's likely to be dealt, so they'll low ball the Marlins, this will end up a disaster for Miami just like the Miggy trade

The main reason teams are lowballing Miami is the contract, another big FU to the Miami fans. It’s very backloaded, and he knew he wasn’t going to be around to pay Stanton. The last seven years, someone is going to shell out over $30 mil/year. If Miami ownership doesn’t want to pay some of it, they won’t get much in return.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Stanton has injury history as well. Staying healthy one year for once doesn't exactly erase the concerns.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

“If you ever want to position a franchise economically to be where they are, they may have increased their franchise value by a billion dollars in three or four years,” Boras said at the general managers meetings. “And they have a new TV contract coming up, and they have this amazing group of everyday players who are young and gifted. They have all these choices. … The amount of money that’s rolling in, the revenues annually and in the future, the Cubs can do whatever they choose to do in this free-agent market and the next ones.
“And to not have championship pitchers on your team? There aren’t many of them. There are (none) with the championship numbers of Jake Arrieta in this market. We know that. And we have seen what great talents do in the postseason. Some do very, very well. … And others in that environment, with great ability, do not do anything near that. Always in this game you have to seek and pay for value, and the goal is to win now. This is a now-winning team.”

-- Scott Boras

-----------------------------------

Hate the guy, but he's absolutely right.

rico1

EOG Master

Stanton will opt out when Trout is a FA. Any team trading for him better not give much back in return.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Stanton will opt out when Trout is a FA. Any team trading for him better not give much back in return.

You gotta think of the psychology of it. After playing with the loser Marlins in front of an empty and hideous stadium, the next team he plays for that's competent is going to feel like the best situation on earth.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

I really don't want Cobb.

I hope that is just to replace Lackey... Cobb is not a front line pitcher.

richsox24

EOG Master

I really don't want Cobb.

I hope that is just to replace Lackey... Cobb is not a front line pitcher.

I actually think Cobb would be a great 4th starter. His stuff is pretty decent and hed be making the move from facing the al east to the nl central.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

I actually think Cobb would be a great 4th starter. His stuff is pretty decent and hed be making the move from facing the al east to the nl central.

I’m sure their pitch to Otani will at least have a shot, but Cobb needs to be their 5th starter next year so that Quintana is not being relied upon as a front line starter because he’s not one.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Stanton to the Giants will be a bad deal for the Giants. They aren't good enough, he won't stay healthy, they'll have to pay $250,000,000 and give up Panik, and by the time they're good again (if even) then he'll be 32 and on a Pujols like trajectory but with no DH to hide him defensively.

Funny note now, the Padres' #1 prospect is a guy the White Sox traded for James Shields lol. Just basically a low level prospect the White Sox couldn't develop at all and threw in just for a body on the mound.

Obtain not going to Yankees, down to Giants and Dodgers, most likely SF, lacks the pelotas to play on the big stage, or more likely Scranton- Wilkes Barre !

I think he needs half a year in AAA ball before easing into the small market MLB arena, and likely won't bat much.

It is tough to cater to these Jap pitchers that can only pitch once a week, screws up your rotation.

It will be interesting to see what he has, price was right on this PROSPECT, for sure !

Fucking phone won't let me spell his name correctly !

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

I’m sure their pitch to Otani will at least have a shot, but Cobb needs to be their 5th starter next year so that Quintana is not being relied upon as a front line starter because he’s not one.
I can’t believe Otani is a frontline starter, maybe he is, but there are a lot of unknowns.

yankees are out of the running. I still think he ends up in Seattle or SF.