2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

Im in no mood to debate with you. I asked politely a reasonable request in a reasonable manner and you told me to fuck off so I returned the favor. All good.
Moustakis back to KC
Cargo back to Col
Arrietta rumored to San Diego rumor heating up. Holland and halos in talks are important to me currently and the rest of baseball futures shoppers. Your opinion on cubs players is not. Regardless talk it up Im not going to stop you.
Was a simple request. Take care

Moust really got crushed on his FA experience. I didn't see him resigning nor them getting Jay . I'm sure there are a lot of disappointed people holding KC under win totals right now.

Don't get the SD -Arrieta attraction. Arizona should take a look at him as there are reports about Grienke's velocity down in ST. It could be something.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Moust really got crushed on his FA experience. I didn't see him resigning nor them getting Jay . I'm sure there are a lot of disappointed people holding KC under win totals right now.

Don't get the SD -Arrieta attraction. Arizona should take a look at him as there are reports about Grienke's velocity down in ST. It could be something.

Red Sox could use Arrieta. Or pray Sale and Price have their testicles drop before the playoffs this time around.

I think Arrieta needs some time off, so this might end up being good for him as far as on a baseball field goes. Pitching into October/November 3 years straight pretty much at the beginning of his career as a high usage pitcher probably wasn't great for him.

Angels and Nationals should take a look as well.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

Red Sox could use Arrieta. Or pray Sale and Price have their testicles drop before the playoffs this time around.

I think Arrieta needs some time off, so this might end up being good for him as far as on a baseball field goes. Pitching into October/November 3 years straight pretty much at the beginning of his career as a high usage pitcher probably wasn't great for him.

Angels and Nationals should take a look as well.

Can't figure out Price. Sale is easy to, he wears down pretty gradually after the AS game.

Still holding out hope that Jake comes back to the Cubs like Fowler did for a year.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Can't figure out Price. Sale is easy to, he wears down pretty gradually after the AS game.

Still holding out hope that Jake comes back to the Cubs like Fowler did for a year.

If someone got seriously injured before Arrieta signed I bet he would sign a 1 year deal for a crazy amount of money and try the market again. Can't imagine them moving Chatwood to the pen though or going to a 6 man rotation.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Angels seem like the perfect fit... always seems to enjoy pitching in California and they're going to a 6 man rotation anyway so that'll limit Arrieta's work load.

They're close to a wild card caliber team right now, and I think this may be the year Shoemaker just implodes. But I can't figure that guy out, so maybe I'm wrong.

Trying to imagine trying to hit Arrieta throwing from 3rd base with the weird shadows in that ballpark on some start times. Would be damn near impossible at times.

billysink

EOG Dedicated

I was fairly heavily invested in the Padres long before Hosmer and potentially Arrieta.

I don't know why they'd waste the money

Moose really misread the market. Boras even more.

Frazier got 2 years and 17 million. Moose could have signed a the qualifing offer for 1 year and 17.2 million.

Heim

EOG Master

The Halos should sign Arrieta but they need a experienced closer more. I'd be surprised if they don't ink Holland by weekend's end.

Valuist

EOG Master

Keuchel saying "We're not the Cubs" to signal that there won't be a world series hangover is really stupid trash talk.

2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 World Series winners missed the playoffs the next year. Cubs went to the NLCS.

Really, really stupid move by Keuchel. Maybe he should look at his own stat line from 2016 to see if he's immune to a hangover after a big year.

Valuist

EOG Master

Moose really misread the market. Boras even more.

Frazier got 2 years and 17 million. Moose could have signed a the qualifing offer for 1 year and 17.2 million.

Pretty funny. Has an agent ever missed that badly before?

King Felix

EOG Veteran

Really, really stupid move by Keuchel. Maybe he should look at his own stat line from 2016 to see if he's immune to a hangover after a big year.
yeah, what a stupid move. the astros are probably doomed and his career is probably over now.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Thanks for checking in, King Felix.

MLB Opening Day is Thursday, March 29.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

Thanks for checking in, King Felix.

MLB Opening Day is Thursday, March 29.
Every team plays on that day also. That is my March Madness.

What is the difference between the NCAA March Madness and Opening Day? Only some of the college players are getting paid.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

yeah, what a stupid move. the astros are probably doomed and his career is probably over now.

Regardless of whether you're a Cubs fan, or a Cubs hater, a pitcher for a team that has been to 1 consecutive Championship series should not be saying 'we're not ____' if that team has been to 3 straight. I mean, if he doesn't want to sound stupid, that is.

Valuist

EOG Master

Regardless of whether you're a Cubs fan, or a Cubs hater, a pitcher for a team that has been to 1 consecutive Championship series should not be saying 'we're not ____' if that team has been to 3 straight. I mean, if he doesn't want to sound stupid, that is.

Don't even bother. He's beyond hope.

Valuist

EOG Master

Let's dig into Keuchel's stat lines to see if he's a candidate for a hangover.

2015 Cy Young winner; 20-8 record 2.48 ERA, 2.75 XFIP, 5.9 WAR 232 innings 79% strand rate
2016 9-12 record, 4.55 ERA 3.53 XFIP, 2.7 WAR 168 innings 68% strand rate

How far do the Astros go if Keuchel has a repeat of his 2016 season?

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

The Angels have some holes, the Rangers are not really in contention mode, and the A's and Mariners are the A's and Mariners, so they should be okay regardless. I think Verlander takes a step back though. And Cole might struggle in that ballpark in the AL. Hard to tell on him since it's unclear how bad of an environment Pittsburgh was the last few years. Still not a real threat in that division to worry them probably.

Valuist

EOG Master

The Angels have some holes, the Rangers are not really in contention mode, and the A's and Mariners are the A's and Mariners, so they should be okay regardless. I think Verlander takes a step back though. And Cole might struggle in that ballpark in the AL. Hard to tell on him since it's unclear how bad of an environment Pittsburgh was the last few years. Still not a real threat in that division to worry them probably.

But in the postseason, they won't get by the Indians, Yankees or Red Sox if Keuchel is the 2016 edition. We'll see if Verlander can continue that mastery he had after the trade. It would be almost impossible for him not to regress. Cole? I was surprised the Pirates jettisoned him.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

But in the postseason, they won't get by the Indians, Yankees or Red Sox if Keuchel is the 2016 edition. We'll see if Verlander can continue that mastery he had after the trade. It would be almost impossible for him not to regress. Cole? I was surprised the Pirates jettisoned him.
Glad he's in the AL, he gave the Cubs fits.

billysink

EOG Dedicated

Scouts are very bearish on Ohtani's swing saying he needs significant time in the minors. Kid has only 1.1 innings pitched.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

I have bet on quite a few japanese baseball games and Ohtani's swing always reminded me of a much longer loopier version of Fukudome's swing.

Which leads me to believe that once teams have a solid scouting report on him, that he's going to be terrible. Fukudome really bottomed out after teams got a few months of look at him.

He should really focus on pitching or he's going to end up bad at both.

King Felix

EOG Veteran

Let's dig into Keuchel's stat lines to see if he's a candidate for a hangover.

2015 Cy Young winner; 20-8 record 2.48 ERA, 2.75 XFIP, 5.9 WAR 232 innings 79% strand rate
2016 9-12 record, 4.55 ERA 3.53 XFIP, 2.7 WAR 168 innings 68% strand rate

How far do the Astros go if Keuchel has a repeat of his 2016 season?

What does this matter? Uh, pretty far pal. They're projected for 102 wins so they're about a 98 win team without him at all. I think they'll be fine.

You said very very stupid lol as if it has any impact on the Astros or him. The only person it bothered was an overly sensitive cub fan on a gambling forum.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

What does this matter? Uh, pretty far pal. They're projected for 102 wins so they're about a 98 win team without him at all. I think they'll be fine.

You said very very stupid lol as if it has any impact on the Astros or him. The only person it bothered was an overly sensitive cub fan on a gambling forum.

It was a stupid thing to say that didn't have any basis in reality.

Here Timely is trying to start a flame war again.

"The Victim"

King Felix

EOG Veteran

It was a stupid thing to say that didn't have any basis in reality.

Here Timely is trying to start a flame war again.

"The Victim"

1. I wasn't replying to you so do you keep responding to me?

2. You, yourself, have said multiple times the Cubs clearly had a world series hangover in the first half last year. Should I quote them?

3. Keuchel simply said that wouldn't happen.

4. This was a non story that doesn't belong in some off-season hot stove thread and was only posted because another league wide thread has turned into a cub discussion.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

1. I wasn't replying to you so do you keep responding to me?

2. You, yourself, have said multiple times the Cubs clearly had a world series hangover in the first half last year. Should I quote them?

3. Keuchel simply said that wouldn't happen.

4. This was a non story that doesn't belong in some off-season hot stove thread and was only posted because another league wide thread has turned into a cub discussion.

Let's be reasonable here. It was a stupid thing to say because it is demonstrably stupid. You can literally point to the fact the Cubs have been more successful than the Astros over the last 3 years. More wins, more success, more playoff success, just simply better. He absolutely should feel that his team is better than the Cubs, just like the Cubs should feel they're better than the Astros. The 'We're not the Cubs' thing is demonstrably silly though, and here's why.

2016: Royals went 81-81 and missed the playoffs
2015: Giants went 84-78 and missed the playoffs
2014: Red Sox went 71-91 and missed the playoffs
2013: Giants went 76-86 and missed the playoffs
2012: Cardinals went 88-74 and barely squeaked in as a wild card team
2011: Giants went 86-76 and missed the playoffs.

Considering that, the Cubs 2017 season was one of the best seasons after a World Series title in recent memory. So I thought baseball fans would appreciate how demonstrably stupid what he said was. But apparently you didn't appreciate it. You took it as I was offended by something an AL player said about the Cubs in spring training. Keep doing you bro.

Valuist

EOG Master

Who's projecting 102 wins, Pekota? The linemakers don't agree.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Weren't Cubs projected for 96? Then you made a big deal about them being on pace for 84.

So the Astros are immune to a world series hangover? Okay, got it. Thanks for the insight.

King Felix

EOG Veteran

yes, I'm sure if Keuchel said "we're not going to be like KC" you would have posted it. he said it about the Cubs so it was posted. Had nothing to do with the Cubs making the playoffs or etc. He was saying they weren't going to have a World Series hangover; which is what you said the Cubs experienced last year on this very forum. Does it mean they won't? No. Does it mean it matters or that the forum needs daily updates on things said about the Cubs? No.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

yes, I'm sure if Keuchel said "we're not going to be like KC" you would have posted it.

Equally stupid. Maybe a Royals fan would have noticed how stupid it was.

Verlander especially is likely to be the one to realize pitching into November isn't fun early the next year.

billysink

EOG Dedicated

Can someone tell me how some pitcher guy talking shit in March affects anyone's season win total, World Series odds, final roster, fantasy lineup, price of a jar of relish, my will, the Swedish general election or my local pharmacy hours?

TIA.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

I’m surprised to see Timely was low on Chatwood. He had an elite spin rate the last few years and clearly Coors field shit on the benefits of that.