2020-21 NBA season

Sparty has a beautiful campus compared to Michigan (not that Michigan's is bad). It's actually in a great location, midway between Detroit and Grand Rapids. Wasteland is Mount Pleasant (CMU) and north.

I have been to MSU's campus, its nice. Still its East Lansing, if you they don't have Izzo how do you sell that community to a top recruit that isn't from Michigan? I've been to Lawrence and seen KU as well. Like a traditional midwest college town, lots to be said about that for students and even retirees. But its not a place i'd expect inner city kids or kids who have been going through the system of club teams and/or private high school programs that they go travel around playing games. If not for those coaches and their proven success getting kids to the NBA, they aren't going to get many kids to go there.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Tonight's Thunder-Rockets game was postponed because Houston did not have the league-required eight available players to participate due to COVID-19 testing.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Seven of the NBA's 30 teams will allow a reduced number of spectators when the season starts

Cleveland

Houston

Memphis

New Orleans

Orlando

Utah

Toronto (playing in Tampa)

Policy change in Memphis.

After allowing some fans to watch a pair of preseason games at FedEx Forum, the management team of the Memphis Grizzlies has reversed its policy.

No fans at any regular season games until further notice.

Valuist

EOG Master
The NBA needs fans more than the other sports, IMO. Those games in the Orlando bubble just felt like AAU games.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I have been to MSU's campus, its nice. Still its East Lansing, if you they don't have Izzo how do you sell that community to a top recruit that isn't from Michigan? I've been to Lawrence and seen KU as well. Like a traditional midwest college town, lots to be said about that for students and even retirees. But its not a place i'd expect inner city kids or kids who have been going through the system of club teams and/or private high school programs that they go travel around playing games. If not for those coaches and their proven success getting kids to the NBA, they aren't going to get many kids to go there.
Inner city colleges have really dropped off over the last 30 years. Those kids want to get away from home.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
When handicapping pro and college basketball, you must consider the difference between a quality 3-point attempt and a suspect one.

I maintain the shooter's landing spot would be a great place to start the analysis.

Show me a long-range bomber who is leaning into the shot (landing inside the arc) and I'll show you a high-quality three.

I saw Steph Curry's brother, Seth, recently take a 3-point shot with all his momentum heading to the target and by the time the ball went through the hoop, Curry had one foot in the lane to follow-up his shot.

In shooting clinics these days, however, they instruct NBA players to hold the follow-through as opposed to following up one's shot.

Makes sense.

Too much traffic and distance between the shooter and the rebound.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
In college basketball, I'd love the see the difference in 3-point shooting percentage between the following two scenarios: 1) When the pass before the 3-point attempt comes from inside the arc and 2) When the pass before the 3-point attempt comes from the perimeter.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
39% of the shots to date have come from behind the line...a record

The NBA is getting like the all-or-nothing nature of Major League Baseball.

It's becoming hard to watch with one three-point heave after another.

College football is also going this route with the emphasis on explosive offensive plays.

For me, a 48-45 college football game lacks suspense or intrigue until the final few minutes.

Same with a 145-140 NBA game or a 9-8 baseball score.

And for every 9-8 baseball score, you get plenty of 13-3 or 14-4 final scores.

But television likes the high-scoring nature of games, no matter how the teams score the points, because that's what attracts the average viewer.

It's now to the point where no one play really matters because teams are able to score in bunches.

Let's remember, Arena Football ended up in Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

I don't want to say this is ruining the game, but I much prefer the slow it down, physical style of the 80's-90's

The good teams going at it was the best theater, you saw so many guys who brought more to the defensive side than offensive side. That being said, it was pretty lousy stuff if the game didn't mean much.

I think the "new" game is very well suited for regular season watching and will keep more fans engaged, but the playoffs will still get down to execution and defense so something for everyone. Fans don't seem to get turned off by games going much more defensive in the playoffs because the teams are good and you can enjoy the intensity of key possessions at the end of the games where its not the lazy defense and 10 second possessions of January games.

Ten-second possessions in January games.

Well put, WILDBILL.

One of the interesting ideas I heard about that's being developed is exactly that, bets that end at a synchronized time. All it will take is to have the NBA data aligned with official time and have that shown on a screen. So you get free tonight and there are 3 NBA games going on. Its 6pm and you only have 25 minutes lets say, at 6:30pm you are heading out the door to go to dinner. In a dynamic betting world, you can choose the time clock and make a bet. Tune in for that 25 minutes and watch while you get ready. This will send viewing time of the game through the roof and NBA partner books can sell you the video for that timeframe once you bet it. You either buy some credits with NBA TV or with your book and you use so many to watch this tidbit of action. The NBA could get say 50 cents from you to watch this game whereas they wouldn't have gotten your eyeballs on it at all in the current setup and therefore zero revenue.

Not only that, but think about what the betting revolution brings in terms of what fans are looking for and then think what makes sports betting exciting? Close ATS finishes of course. You want a lot of shots, a lot of possessions and a lot of "action". You don't care much about the end of game winner, you just want some bang for your buck. So an NBA with the modern approach to offense and defense in these not so meaningful games actually works really well with this idea.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
One of the interesting ideas I heard about that's being developed is exactly that, bets that end at a synchronized time. All it will take is to have the NBA data aligned with official time and have that shown on a screen. So you get free tonight and there are 3 NBA games going on. Its 6pm and you only have 25 minutes lets say, at 6:30pm you are heading out the door to go to dinner. In a dynamic betting world, you can choose the time clock and make a bet. Tune in for that 25 minutes and watch while you get ready. This will send viewing time of the game through the roof and NBA partner books can sell you the video for that timeframe once you bet it. You either buy some credits with NBA TV or with your book and you use so many to watch this tidbit of action. The NBA could get say 50 cents from you to watch this game whereas they wouldn't have gotten your eyeballs on it at all in the current setup and therefore zero revenue.

Not only that, but think about what the betting revolution brings in terms of what fans are looking for and then think what makes sports betting exciting? Close ATS finishes of course. You want a lot of shots, a lot of possessions and a lot of "action". You don't care much about the end of game winner, you just want some bang for your buck. So an NBA with the modern approach to offense and defense in these not so meaningful games actually works really well with this idea.

Now that's gambling, BILL.

The number of bad beats would be endless.

The crybaby stories would start out, "So it's 6:28 on a Friday night..."

Now that's gambling, BILL.

The number of bad beats would be endless.

The crybaby stories would start out, "So it's 6:28 on a Friday night..."

Even better will be all the bettors crying about how a coach called a time out at 6:28pm in the middle of the quarter that with the commercial ran to the 6:30 deadline.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
And you'd have to be careful about fans/gamblers running on the court or otherwise disrupting the action to delay the game.

"There's a fan on the court and he's wearing an Illinois jersey that reads 'Brock Landers" on the back."

choslamshe

EOG Master
I'm really starting to believe that the money will be back middle to middle-bad teams throughout this regular season. The way the Pistons have played the Celtics this last week has demonstrated how these teams whom lack talent, will really fight and claw every night. They won't need to worry about 'resting' their key starters since they lack star power to begin with. And you will never have to worry about them giving 100% almost every night. Look at a player like Jerami Grant with the Pistons...gives 100% every night and fills up the stat sheet on both ends of the floor. Not sure what his contract situation was with the Nuggets but was surprised they let him get away.

Pistons
Knicks
Thunder
Grizzlies

4 teams that suck but will likely cover a lot of spreads by the end of this year...

I'm really starting to believe that the money will be back middle to middle-bad teams throughout this regular season. The way the Pistons have played the Celtics this last week has demonstrated how these teams whom lack talent, will really fight and claw every night. They won't need to worry about 'resting' their key starters since they lack star power to begin with. And you will never have to worry about them giving 100% almost every night. Look at a player like Jerami Grant with the Pistons...gives 100% every night and fills up the stat sheet on both ends of the floor. Not sure what his contract situation was with the Nuggets but was surprised they let him get away.

Pistons
Knicks
Thunder
Grizzlies

4 teams that suck but will likely cover a lot of spreads by the end of this year...

Grant wanted this situation. Nuggets claim they agreed to match the crazy deal he signed but he didn't want to be 4th fiddle on the team and not get offensive plays called for him. Guy was a backup in OKC until a couple years ago and was a backup in DEN and now got a 3 year/60m contract. I say good for him, but he chose to be on a losing team to get more exposure in hopes he gets an even bigger deal in a few years.

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated
Grant wanted this situation. Nuggets claim they agreed to match the crazy deal he signed but he didn't want to be 4th fiddle on the team and not get offensive plays called for him. Guy was a backup in OKC until a couple years ago and was a backup in DEN and now got a 3 year/60m contract. I say good for him, but he chose to be on a losing team to get more exposure in hopes he gets an even bigger deal in a few years.

Unfortunately for him he will be on the trading block every ASB all 3 years. Hes the only player they have with potential to get draft picks. No one is touching the Griffin contract without getting cash along with it.

Hard to believe the league forced the Sixers to play today. Amazing ending for spread bettors, Sixers trailing by 20 with a minute left score last 8 points and cover the 13/13.5 spread.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Hard to believe the league forced the Sixers to play today. Amazing ending for spread bettors, Sixers trailing by 20 with a minute left score last 8 points and cover the 13/13.5 spread.

Just now seeing the play-by-play.

Ty Maxey hit a pair of three-pointers in the game's final 63 seconds.

Only seven players appeared in the game for the Sixers.

Denver dressed the roster maximum of 15 players and all 15 appeared in the game.

Not a good look for the league.

Philly head coach Doc Rivers did not want to play the game.

kane

EOG master
If the league is fortunate to get through the season, they should do what they did last year and put all playoff teams in a bubble, imagine playoff games where teams are missing a bunch of players or their star player, during the season I guess it's manageable but not in the playoffs

Just now seeing the play-by-play.

Ty Maxey hit a pair of three-pointers in the game's final 63 seconds.

Only seven players appeared in the game for the Sixers.

Denver dressed the roster maximum of 15 players and all 15 appeared in the game.

Not a good look for the league.

Philly head coach Doc Rivers did not want to play the game.

That is pretty incredible to use 15 players in a game against 7. Nuggets played down to the competition in the first half before the depth edge led to them pulling away in the third quarter.

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated
Dude it opened -3 went to 4 stayed for 2 hours with news leaking we knew no harris, Simmons and Embid was ? It went to 5.5 and 6 everyone and mom pounding it all morning. Embid goes out on screen and the lineup is announced they take it OTB and reopen at 10! What are you talking about?!?!?
You had 20 minutes from 10-12 and it closes at tip 12:30 if you took a beat in this game...
HOW?!?

The bad beat of the day was Miami. Take a look at that end game.

Dude it opened -3 went to 4 stayed for 2 hours with news leaking we knew no harris, Simmons and Embid was ? It went to 5.5 and 6 everyone and mom pounding it all morning. Embid goes out on screen and the lineup is announced they take it OTB and reopen at 10! What are you talking about?!?!?
You had 20 minutes from 10-12 and it closes at tip 12:30 if you took a beat in this game...
HOW?!?

The bad beat of the day was Miami. Take a look at that end game.

I bet it at -6 so I didn't take a beat, was just mentioning the beat to those who bet the closer.

Heim

EOG Master
IMO these Covid heavy games, like Celtics today should be off the board. Safeguards both player and book.

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated
IMO these Covid heavy games, like Celtics today should be off the board. Safeguards both player and book.
I completely 1000% disagree. If books want action theyll get it. They have used cancelled games to their advantage for a entire year.
I was the move on Cincy +1 at Tulsa. 3 weeks later it was Tulsa +14.5. Hundreds of these examples.
There were 100s of games like this. If they wanna open 3 and close 12 and 9 at 3k a pop per number then let's gamble
What's fair in love and war. They dont give you your money back when you bet Stanford +13 and 2 minutes before kick 8 starters are ruled out.