2022 Hot Stove

Valuist

EOG Master
No idea if/when the season will start. I'm guessing they get their sh-t together; too much money not to.

Let's look at pitcher WAR. More specifically, team bullpen WAR. Is it legit? Would record in one run games be a better indicator? FIP? ERA? K to BB? I'm a bit partial to K to BB as I believe this is much more important to relievers than starters. In any event, here's the top 5 bullpen WAR numbers from 2021 and next to it is the team's record in one run games.

1. Tampa 20-25
2. CWS 18-24
3. NYY 28-20
4. Seattle 33-19
5. LAD 24-24

If these are allegedly the top 5 pens, according to WAR, why the weak records for 3 of them in one run games? I do consider the Dodgers 24-24 to be poor as their record in non-one run games was 82-32.

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
March 31

As you stated, both sides know what's at stake. They'll get it done.

Look for a shortened spring though which likely means more injury issues.

Valuist

EOG Master
There's actually some talks going on that don't involve Russia and the Ukraine.

kane

EOG master
jeter he gone

out as CEO marlins
From what little info has been leaking out, it appears as though the main reason Jeter left is due to the owner being too cheap and not wanting to spend money to improve the team. The Marlins got almost 40M for the naming rights to the Ballpark, when Bruce Sherman was asked if the additional revenue would be used to improve the roster, he declined to answer, at a later press conference he was again asked about the new revenue, Sherman said he wanted to win, but wouldn't commit to spending the money on player payroll. And the Marlins shit show will continue, they'll keep losing, and the fans will keep staying away

kane

EOG master
Marlins ownership sees what the Rays are doing across the state, winning with cheap talent, and they think they can replicate it, the problem is the people who run the Rays and make the big decisions know what they're doing, the people running the Marlins do not

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
From what little info has been leaking out, it appears as though the main reason Jeter left is due to the owner being too cheap and not wanting to spend money to improve the team. The Marlins got almost 40M for the naming rights to the Ballpark, when Bruce Sherman was asked if the additional revenue would be used to improve the roster, he declined to answer, at a later press conference he was again asked about the new revenue, Sherman said he wanted to win, but wouldn't commit to spending the money on player payroll. And the Marlins shit show will continue, they'll keep losing, and the fans will keep staying away
Nice gig for Jeter - bought in for $20 Mil, left with $39 Mil.

kane

EOG master
Nice gig for Jeter - bought in for $20 Mil, left with $39 Mil.
His time in Miami will be remembered for trading Giancarlo Stanton to the Yankees for Garrett Cooper, and trading Christian Yelich to the Brewers for Lewis Brinson

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
That was my thinking but they are extending talks into today. A lot of players for teams in Midwest and NE are probably hoping.....April games can be brutally cold.
Problem for the players is that is 1/6 of their full pay. For the owners, it may be 1/10th. The owners wouldn’t mind missing April, it’s a gain.

MrTop

EOG Master
players union has max scherzer on their side. He said the players need a raise. Max pulling in 350 million

MrTop

EOG Master
APPLE TV getting MLB games this season. Prob. not all the games. This should be like amazon BS. Stay with MLB.com i am thinking. Speaking of amazon they will have the rights to thursday NFL this coming season. Amazon $139 per year. I am guessing no extra charge for NFL ?

they keep chopping up the same pizza pie.

Valuist

EOG Master
Rangers and Mets the big spenders. They will be the “hype teams”. Which means unders would the only way to play their season win totals.

Heim

EOG Master
I would assume with Matt Olson going to ATL today.... Freeman is all but a done deal with LAD.

Heim

EOG Master
Josh Donaldson to Yankees!?

Oh God, he called out Gerrit Cole for using
a foreign substances last season.

Could be Garvey/Sutton all over again.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
Josh Donaldson to Yankees!?

Oh God, he called out Gerrit Cole for using
a foreign substances last season.

Could be Garvey/Sutton all over again.

Good salary dump for the Twins. The Yankees are going to pay him 50 million over 2 years, which includes a 6 million dollar buyout. I'm sure you can count on a .240 average and 150 strikeouts, with stints on the D.L. He can't even DH on that team, because you got that lazy ass Stanton, who doesn't want to play the field.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
donaldson over the hill. Another horrible player for yanks. What is cashman thinking

By far the worst GM is baseball. Half a billion in luxury tax payments because he can't stay under the cap.

They also have to sign Judge this year or next. I can imagine around 7 years and 230 million give or take.

Then they will have 100 million tied up. between Cole, Stanton and Judge!

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
No idea if/when the season will start. I'm guessing they get their sh-t together; too much money not to.

Let's look at pitcher WAR. More specifically, team bullpen WAR. Is it legit? Would record in one run games be a better indicator? FIP? ERA? K to BB? I'm a bit partial to K to BB as I believe this is much more important to relievers than starters. In any event, here's the top 5 bullpen WAR numbers from 2021 and next to it is the team's record in one run games.

1. Tampa 20-25
2. CWS 18-24
3. NYY 28-20
4. Seattle 33-19
5. LAD 24-24

If these are allegedly the top 5 pens, according to WAR, why the weak records for 3 of them in one run games? I do consider the Dodgers 24-24 to be poor as their record in non-one run games was 82-32.
I like your thought here and can't explain why these pens are poor in 1 run games.

I am going to track how pens do in high leverage situations. This can be found at fangraphs. How is this going to help. For in game situations.

Reliever is awful in high leverage situation. runners in 1st and 2nd with no outs.

I am just starting this and am going to focus 85% of my betting on in game this season targeting the bottom 7 bullpens. I will be looking to play over totals and big dog prices. Say the bad pen is leading 5-2 in the 7th. I'm playing that dog.

I just hope to have success early but then again early success might be the worse thing that happens to me. lol.

Valuist

EOG Master
I like your thought here and can't explain why these pens are poor in 1 run games.

I am going to track how pens do in high leverage situations. This can be found at fangraphs. How is this going to help. For in game situations.

Reliever is awful in high leverage situation. runners in 1st and 2nd with no outs.

I am just starting this and am going to focus 85% of my betting on in game this season targeting the bottom 7 bullpens. I will be looking to play over totals and big dog prices. Say the bad pen is leading 5-2 in the 7th. I'm playing that dog.

I just hope to have success early but then again early success might be the worse thing that happens to me. lol.

IMO, strikeout/walk ratio is far more important to bullpens than starters and arguably is the best metric to measure bullpens. A reliever comes in during a high leverage situation, the type of out recorded can be significant. For starters, often strikeouts are just for show and ego, and can actually be counterproductive, as they pile up pitch counts.

Valuist

EOG Master
With all the NCAA madness going on, I didn't even realize Cincinnati dumped both Suarez and Winker, sending both to Seattle. So that means Miley, Sonny Gray, Winker and Suarez all gone from the 2021 team.

kane

EOG master
Reds fans want Castellini to sell the team, one of the worst owners in baseball, I hate being a fan of this franchise

kane

EOG master
Even though he's my favorite player, I'd like to see them trade Votto to a contender, he's a great player who deserves a chance to win, and it sure as shit ain't happening in Cincinnati

kane

EOG master
Nick Castellanos is from South Florida and wants to play for the Marlins, but the cheap ownership won't offer him a contract. This year's edition of the Marlins will look like the same team they always have, some really good young arms, no hitting, they'll lose a lot of 4-3 type games